• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Improving the M&P trigger was something the CEO of S&W brought up at an industry breakfast I attended back in January. Hopefully this is a first step that will eventually find its way into the rest of the family.

In the Yeager video I posted in the OP, he made a comment about that being the plan. Similar to when Ruger's SR9c came out with a better trigger and they then worked into the full-size line.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Why on earth would they not move to night sights being standard?

Price, probably. They were probably aiming for a specific price point and adding night sights would make it too expensive. I wonder if we'll see it as an option before too long, though.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    It sounds like in the AGS video, if I'm not mistaken that the reset is very audible, and hopefully very tactile. I can't wait to see this in St. Louis this weekend! I'll let everyone know...

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Why on earth would they not move to night sights being standard?

Because that would make it more expensive? I'm sure the want to keep the price low enough to be able to compete with the cheaper single stacks (LC9). Looks like once the price settles, this will be in the high 300's at most places. It might be an option somewhere along the line though.

ETA: Scutter beat me to it.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Price, probably. They were probably aiming for a specific price point and adding night sights would make it too expensive. I wonder if we'll see it as an option before too long, though.

I agree. But, I heard that they have after market distributers working on the night sights. Just like they have the holster manufactures and other after market companies working on accessories. Supossedly, they've had the prototypes out to them for a while working on stuff. But I'm sure within a few months, we'll see a few variations of the shield, such as a Shield equipped with crimson trace lasers and stuff...

Edit: Just found the link for current accessories, including holsters, sights and lasers.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/other/M&P_Shield_Accessories.pdf

Last edited:

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I'm a fan of S&W guns but watching this video, I don't see anything that makes me want to ditch my SR9c and get this... Yeah maybe smaller and thinner, probably bigger than I would carry in my pocket anyway. Less rounds... Same reason why I sold my PM9, if I'm going to carry IWB I might as well go with something with a little more firepower.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    After digging into the specs, it seems that it is slightly larger than the LC9 in each direction (0.05" wider, 0.1" longer, and 0.1" taller). While those may not be THAT big of a difference, it is almost 2 ounces heavier than the LC9 (~12% heavier). That may be enough to keep my money in my pocket at least for a little while longer.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    After digging into the specs, it seems that it is slightly larger than the LC9 in each direction (0.05" wider, 0.1" longer, and 0.1" taller). While those may not be THAT big of a difference, it is almost 2 ounces heavier than the LC9 (~12% heavier). That may be enough to keep my money in my pocket at least for a little while longer.

I don't know if 2oz (approx 10 U.S. quarters) would be enough for me to turn away from the shield. IMO, I don't think you'd notice. But, since the sizes are negligable, I think it would come down to comparing the triggers. Just my :twocents:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Yeah, it's probably going to be weight vs. trigger for me. I hope to get my hands on one and compare it to my LC9 and then go from there.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I think all the reviews that I've seen today explain that 2oz difference, the Shield is that much sturdier than the LC9 and Kel-tecs.

It may be but this is really pushing the envelope for pocket carry. Once you decide it's too big for pocket carry, you have to ask the question if you really want to carry a 9mm that holds 8 rounds in a belt holster. Just my opinion.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It may be but this is really pushing the envelope for pocket carry. Once you decide it's too big for pocket carry, you have to ask the question if you really want to carry a 9mm that holds 8 rounds in a belt holster. Just my opinion.

I can tell just by looking at it it's not going to be good for pocket carry but I don't mind small single stack in 9mm for IWB at all.

Top Bottom