• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Gunbroker is a great tool for current pricing. I like to search the "Completed" sales and sort by number of bids from high to low. 5906's with more than 1 bid have recently sold from $265 to $755 (more or less) with a bunch starting with a "3".

The amount of LE sales of the 5906 has been at a steady pace and that does seem to be knocking down the prices. On the other hand, yours has the advantage of being a known quantity and with less risk than geting who knows what from a surplus seller.

I just looked at the "Completed" section (took me 1/2 hour to figure it out how to get there, duh!) and there where lots of 5906 for less than $350, and one had adjustable sights on it from what I could see, but it didn't say so in the descriptors.
    If I had adjustable sights on my 5096 I never would have bought the 4006 with the adjustable sights.
    I've seen the 5096 with adjustable sights go for $700.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    The 5906 that had the service spring pack & the holster is gone (the one I bought off T-DOGG).
    I'm now talking about selling the "original" one I ordered (weren't you the one who gave me the tip on it?)
    Boy, you're good: shipped leather holsters for $20 :wow:
    I think I paid around $45-$50 for the 2 I ordered (IWB & OWB) and I thought I did well avoiding the $100 types.

The holsters I've found were NOS on both ebay and gb. Most were owb and left handed. 2 are the Miami shoulder holsters that I got for 30 and 40 shipped respectively new in box.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sold my other (the original) SW 5906 today to a member here who was pursuing the one I had advertised, but I traded it away.
    The guy that bought this one has many of the 3rd Gens & had some 1st Gens as well.
    My 5906 completed his collection, the one he had missing, and he was glad to get it.
    Being a member I gave him a better deal than the guy dealing for it last evening and we were $50 apart who was not a member here.
    So, I'm officially down to one 3rd Gen SW: 4006 TSW 40 caliber.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sold my other (the original) SW 5906 today to a member here who was pursuing the one I had advertised, but I traded it away.
    The guy that bought this one has many of the 3rd Gens & had some 1st Gens as well.
    My 5906 completed his collection, the one he had missing, and he was glad to get it.
    Being a member I gave him a better deal than the guy dealing for it last evening and we were $50 apart who was not a member here.

If yours is as nice as mine, then you kept the best of them. I am amazed at how nice the trigger feels in DA even though it’s 9#. The SA trigger and reset are fantastic.

Congrats on moving the unwanted ones out. I am really not good at that.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If yours is as nice as mine, then you kept the best of them. I am amazed at how nice the trigger feels in DA even though it’s 9#. The SA trigger and reset are fantastic.

I read really good things about the triggers and it felt as good as they claimed.
    No problem letting something go, it's not like you can't buy another if you really want. :)
    I was looking for a bigger round magazine tonight for the 4006 since it comes with only a standard 11 round, but didn't find much.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    S&W 3rd Gen Semi Autos

Only one? Someone around here told me that is against the rules.

I have a CS45 in the classies for sale. Rather unique 3rd gen offering...

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016

I'll bring my 4006 next time we shoot together (and your rifle case) and we can do a little TSW versus standard comparison.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Only one? Someone around here told me that is against the rules.
    I have a CS45 in the classies for sale. Rather unique 3rd gen offering...

I saw that.
    There has been a 9mm Chief's Special on another site for sale, a S&W CS9 for some time now also.
    Things seem to be very slow lately.
    When you have a great gun and the market is down, it is annoying.
    I'm just whining b/c I took my first hosing on a gun today, my last 5906. :dunno:
    Lost on all the updates/accessories I bought for it.
    Could have bought several boxes of ammo on what I lost, and I'm stuck with two leather holsters (IWB & OWB) that I thought would fit the 4006, but no. :ugh:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'll bring my 4006 next time we shoot together (and your rifle case) and we can do a little TSW versus standard comparison.

Sounds good. My TSW is the CHP variety and has a couple of oddities because of that, such as the bobbed hammer and no spring to take up the trigger slack.

Like Doddg, I wish they had a touch higher capacity than the standard 11. I’d love to find a 12 round mag. That seems to be the sweet spot for me in regards to carry. But, for general carry, anything over 10 works. Heading into the city after dark though? I’m probably toting a P07 with +2 extensions and a pair of spares.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I saw that.
    There has been a 9mm Chief's Special on another site for sale, a S&W CS9 for some time now also.
    Things seem to be very slow lately.
    When you have a great gun and the market is down, it is annoying.
    I'm just whining b/c I took my first hosing on a gun today, my last 5906. :dunno:
    Lost on all the updates/accessories I bought for it.
    Could have bought several boxes of ammo on what I lost, and I'm stuck with two leather holsters (IWB & OWB) that I thought would fit the 4006, but no. :ugh:

I look at the money lost on a transaction as simply the rental fee for the time I owned it. If I could go into a gun shop and they were to let me take any gun from the case for a 2 years rental for less than $75, I would think that I got the deal of the century. But, if I buy a gun, shoot the heck out of it for 2 years and then sell it for a $75 loss, I feel like I screwed myself on the deal.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If I like what I see and can afford it, I buy it.
    When its time to sell, I take what the market will bear.
    I try not to compare the two numbers.

I don't know how you do it.
    I torture myself over a loss since I usually only buy a gun when I know it is a "value" (I can sell it easily for what I pay for it).
    When I buy a gun new, I am willing to have a loss, of course, but used: it really hurts to lose $25, and especially $50.
    Now, if it is a gun I've had for a year, I would not mind some loss, but I've only have 1 gun that fits that criteria:
    my beloved CZ Shadow 2, that I own b/c gmcttr let me shoot his and I lost control, and then later did what I said I'd never do: upgraded it!
    If it had adjustable sight both ways (only does vertical) I'd be in hog heaven.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I don't know how you do it.
    I torture myself over a loss since I usually only buy a gun when I know it is a "value" (I can sell it easily for what I pay for it).
    When I buy a gun new, I am willing to have a loss, of course, but used: it really hurts to lose $25, and especially $50.
    Now, if it is a gun I've had for a year, I would not mind some loss, but I've only have 1 gun that fits that criteria:
    my beloved CZ Shadow 2, that I own b/c gmcttr let me shoot his and I lost control, and then later did what I said I'd never do: upgraded it!
    If it had adjustable sight both ways (only does vertical) I'd be in hog heaven.

I've had several phases of gun ownership over the decades. Currently, I prefer to keep it a stress-free hobby. Fretting over every penny, just adds stress. Not that I don't mind a good deal...just don't sweat it if I don't get one.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've had several phases of gun ownership over the decades. Currently, I prefer to keep it a stress-free hobby. Fretting over every penny, just adds stress. Not that I don't mind a good deal...just don't sweat it if I don't get one.

You are probably wired a little more low-key than myself: I could learn from you, Obi Wan Kenobi. :laugh:
    Just call me Luke. :starwars:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I like that philosophy. I don't stress over money spent shooting, so why worry about hardware costs too?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I like that philosophy. I don't stress over money spent shooting, so why worry about hardware costs too?
    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Very logical conclusion and it makes me realize how silly it is to fret over losing a few boxes of ammo costs on a gun.
    It is illogical if you're going to spend hundreds of dollars on ammo for a certain gun, why worry about losing $$ on the gun when the time comes to sell?
    That's one of the reasons after working to get down to just 9mm & .22LR for the range, I have indulged in some other caliber guns that have more expensive ammo just b/c I like them.
    They just aren't used as range guns, but I enjoy shooting them occasionally.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Very logical conclusion and it makes me realize how silly it is to fret over losing a few boxes of ammo costs on a gun.
    It is illogical if you're going to spend hundreds of dollars on ammo for a certain gun, why worry about losing $$ on the gun when the time comes to sell?
    That's one of the reasons after working to get down to just 9mm & .22LR for the range, I have indulged in some other caliber guns that have more expensive ammo just b/c I like them.
    They just aren't used as range guns, but I enjoy shooting them occasionally.

I’ve focused handgun calibers on 9mm, .40, .45 and 38/.357. There are others but those are the 4 that I shoot in volume. The 4006 and recently bought SP01 in .40 will help drive the .40 side up and I’ve been stocking up on reloading supplies for those.

On the long arm side, it’s mainly 5.56 with a dozen or more other calibers that get shot less often.

I really do need to get both the SP01 and 4006 out more often. Those two are becoming my favorites to shoot.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I’ve focused handgun calibers on 9mm, .40, .45 and 38/.357. There are others but those are the 4 that I shoot in volume. The 4006 and recently bought SP01 in .40 will help drive the .40 side up and I’ve been stocking up on reloading supplies for those.

On the long arm side, it’s mainly 5.56 with a dozen or more other calibers that get shot less often.

I really do need to get both the SP01 and 4006 out more often. Those two are becoming my favorites to shoot.

Still looking for my excellent condition 4006 or 4006tsw. Got so much going on right now my frankenbuild has become buried under other projects. Im half tempted to rebuild the 5906 frame as a 5906 and slap the 3913 slide on it and call it a day. Im sure I could be messing with the spurless hammer and sear for a while to get it to function correctly.

Top Bottom