• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I’ve taken mine apart to begin polishing the internals. Anything that’s showing wear marks will get a bit of polish and maybe stoned if there are a lot of tool marks. Right now, it’s been cleaned but I have not started to polish yet. I have what looks like a pile of brand new parts. The other nice thing about disassembly to this level is that you get to scrub out years of gunk and then reassemble like a new gun.

:popcorn:

KWIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2019
    IN
    I have been looking for a recoil spring for a CS9. The two big websites are out of stock and striking out on ebay.
    Any ideas?

KWIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2019
    IN
    I called S&W customer service and they say parts availability for the 3rd gens should be better sometime in August, that's when the move to the new warehouse will be done.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I wonder if new grips will be available. When I bought the 4006, it had a beat up set of Hogues on it and I replaced them with an aftermarket set of factory style grips. I’d rather have factory grips, but nobody has them in stock. Hopefully, that’s just another thing impacted by the warehouse move.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I wonder if new grips will be available. When I bought the 4006, it had a beat up set of Hogues on it and I replaced them with an aftermarket set of factory style grips. I’d rather have factory grips, but nobody has them in stock. Hopefully, that’s just another thing impacted by the warehouse move.

Ive found NOS grips on gb and ebay for reasonable prices compared to the other retailers, but you just have to look.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am down to one 5906 (had two) and negotiating now on the cell about my "original" one, but I don't think he's willing to pay the price: $450 I have in it, and that's w/o the 2 holsters I bought for it.
    I decided to keep the 4006 TSW (40 caliber) b/c it has a better trigger and rear adjustable sights.
    It can be my SW 3rd Gen piece of history.
    If I had adjustable sights on the 5906, I'd keep it, but I love having sights I can adjust.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I am down to one 5906 (had two) and negotiating now on the cell about my "original" one, but I don't think he's willing to pay the price: $450 I have in it, and that's w/o the 2 holsters I bought for it.
    I decided to keep the 4006 TSW (40 caliber) b/c it has a better trigger and rear adjustable sights.
    If I had adjustable sights on the 5906, I'd keep it, but I love having sights I can adjust.

Keep them, all of them..... Just Be Happy!

Did you do this with your women? :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Keep them, all of them..... Just Be Happy!
    Did you do this with your women? :dunno:

:rofl: No, I'm a 1 woman man! :rockwoot:
    But, I'd like to do it with cars.
    Once I owned 2 family cars & 6 antiques (I was young and stupid: early 30s), but I had lots of fun living out that dream!)

Guns are tools to me, and I have had a ball chasing after them and enjoying them.
    I'm trying to wind down now in retirement and really get down to the basics (whatever that is). :laugh:

I've go too much money tied up in "the hobby," and really do want to limit myself.
    My first love is anything .22LR but I have 3 times the number of other calibers than .22LR.
    I've done a good job in trimming there, but still chasing after non - .22LRs.
    I got down to only 3 calibers after alot of work, but I woke up one day and find I have 6 calibers now, with hopes of only getting down to 5. :wallbash:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

The market is flooded with 300 to 350 dollar 5906's right now.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The market is flooded with 300 to 350 dollar 5906's right now.

Wow! I didn't know that! Opps!
    That must be why I didn't get anything but trade offers for my other 5906, and I did end up trading for a gun I thought would sell easier (Ruger 10mm).
    Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup:
    I'll correct that before I list it. The buyer I had interested last night was wanting to buy the one advertised weeks ago, and I told him it sold but I had my original 5906 that I had decided to let go b/c of the 4006 I liked even better.
    I just checked Gunbroker, and the "buy now" prices are all $350 and up with one at $340.
    Adding in $25 shipping and $25 FFl fees still takes it up to the $400 mark (where I bought), then I added 3 holsters & a 17 round mag. b/c I thought I was going to keep it forever. :dunno: No, really! :laugh:
    I guess I should stop looking in the For Sale section, huh! :coffee:
    I'd personally rather buy from someone where I could see the condition instead of taking a chance on at $300 (I've had a couple of bad experiences buying the cheapest I could find online).

Well, I should have told my potential buyer last night a little lower price. :dunno:
    I did warn him that I'd not want to buy one cheaper than the $350 mark ($400 with shipping/taxes).

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    That must be why I didn't get anything but trade offers for my other 5906, and I did end up trading for a gun I thought would sell easier (Ruger 10mm).
    I'll correct that before I list it. The buyer I had interested last night was wanting to buy the one advertised weeks ago, and I told him it sold but I had my original 5906 that I had decided to let go b/c of the 4006 I liked even better.
    I just checked Gunbroker, and the "buy now" prices are all $350 and up with one at $340.
    Adding in $25 shipping and $25 FFl fees still takes it up to the $400 mark (where I bought), then I added 3 holsters & a 17 round mag. b/c I thought I was going to keep it forever. :dunno: No, really! :laugh:
    I'd personally rather buy from someone where I could see the condition instead of taking a chance on at $300 (I've had a couple of bad experiences buying the cheapest I could find online).

Well, I should have told my potential buyer last night a little lower price. :dunno:
    I did warn him that I'd not want to buy one cheaper than the $350 mark ($400 with shipping/taxes).

Gunbroker is a great tool for current pricing. I like to search the "Completed" sales and sort by number of bids from high to low. 5906's with more than 1 bid have recently sold from $265 to $755 (more or less) with a bunch starting with a "3".

The amount of LE sales of the 5906 has been at a steady pace and that does seem to be knocking down the prices. On the other hand, yours has the advantage of being a known quantity and with less risk than geting who knows what from a surplus seller.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

There was a recent leo trade in dump about 3 months back. I seen 6 at my local Big R that sat for 399. They finally dropped them to 299 and there is only one left. Id pay 450 if it had the original box 2 factory mags and most of the paperwork. The spring service pak from your ad is just basically a set of stock springs to replace the factory set which doesnt add much value except piece of mind the springs have been changed out and issues prevented. As for holsters they dont ad much as peoples tastes are different. I would sell those on ebay. Ive bought all kinds of leather 3rd gen holsters sub 20 shipped. Factory 5900 series mags go for about 27 shipped.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    There was a recent leo trade in dump about 3 months back. I seen 6 at my local Big R that sat for 399. They finally dropped them to 299 and there is only one left. Id pay 450 if it had the original box 2 factory mags and most of the paperwork. The spring service pak from your ad is just basically a set of stock springs to replace the factory set which doesnt add much value except piece of mind the springs have been changed out and issues prevented. As for holsters they dont ad much as peoples tastes are different. I would sell those on ebay. Ive bought all kinds of leather 3rd gen holsters sub 20 shipped. Factory 5900 series mags go for about 27 shipped.

The 5906 that had the service spring pack & the holster is gone (the one I bought off T-DOGG).
    I'm now talking about selling the "original" one I ordered (weren't you the one who gave me the tip on it?)
    Boy, you're good: shipped leather holsters for $20 :wow:
    I think I paid around $45-$50 for the 2 I ordered (IWB & OWB) and I thought I did well avoiding the $100 types.

Top Bottom