• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you are going to replace sights remember there are springs/plungers underneath them

Thanks for the warning! :thumbsup:
    I saw this vid about taking off a rear sight that looks like mine:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUV8SL_RjFo

Around 6:15 it starts disassembly of the rear sight, which was pounding on it from the left side with a non-marring hammer.
    Then, finishing it off with a punch, while making sure you hold a plate down so the springs don't come flying out:
    2 springs, a plate and 2 "buttons."

Another vid showed putting it back together.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z05rUVLm6WE
    begins around 1:20
    All seems simple enough.
    I found the right size for the screw that was a small hex key/Allen wrench.

Question: If pounding on the side of the sight moves it from right to left, is the screw that is on the top of the sight for elevation? :scratch:

I assumed it was there to hold the sight in place with tension, but since it takes a hammer to pound it out, perhaps not. :dunno:
    In the vid, it showed the screw had been backed out to make it easier to take off the sight.

Note: I sprayed some CLP to help the screw come out, and was able to back it off.
    There was some red coloration on the threads, I assume locktite, which would indicate that is is not for manipulation for elevation.
    But, if locktite, I would think it would have been a battle to get the screw out, but broke free readily.
    After taking the screw all the way out, I sprayed CLP down the hole and put the screw back in.

There wasn't any raising of the rear sight when backing the screw out.
    When I screwed it back in it just "hits the wall" and it's done.
    I didn't try to force the screw in more past "the wall" to see if that would raise the rear sight, in case it would strip and that's not its function anyway.
    I will spray under the rear sight and let it sit overnight to see if that will make it easier to move the sight to the left where I want the POI to coincide with POA, since I want to bring it more to the left.

I'll worry about elevation later, I can compensate some for that anyway.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Question: If pounding on the side of the sight moves it from right to left, is the screw that is on the top of the sight for elevation? :scratch:

The screw is not an elevation adjustment it is just a set screw for the rear sight.

The sight drifts with a non marring punch and a hammer. I would strongly suggest that the slide is properly secured and protected in a vice before attempting to move it.

If it hasn’t moved in a awhile, it could take some force to move it. Don’t hesitate to take it someplace. The proper tools and a little experience make it a simple procedure.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Before, During and After. CS40 to 10mm conversion.

The color and machine work completed by AllenM. He does awesome work!

3bcf81f1f14b48dd607352f13daa594e.jpg

f450f1ebcb71f79a5b50d49ab1f0fb54.jpg

b8e98f1673670e9ce63113c34d5242c7.jpg

She's purdy

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The screw is not an elevation adjustment it is just a set screw for the rear sight.

The sight drifts with a non marring punch and a hammer. I would strongly suggest that the slide is properly secured and protected in a vice before attempting to move it.

If it hasn’t moved in a awhile, it could take some force to move it. Don’t hesitate to take it someplace. The proper tools and a little experience make it a simple procedure.

Thanks for verifying the purpose for that screw.
    I agree with you: if that rear sight has not been drifted in decades it could be a real bear.
    I’ll pay someone to do it the first time, then it will be easier the 2nd.

I would have no fear of doing it myself after watching the vid but my experience with simple plumbing fixes that can turn into projects b/c of old parts that have melded together: I’ll let someone else take the 1st pass.
    Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.
    I do love this gun more than I have liked any particular one lately.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Thanks for verifying the purpose for that screw.
    I agree with you: if that rear sight has not been drifted in decades it could be a real bear.
    I’ll pay someone to do it the first time, then it will be easier the 2nd.

I would have no fear of doing it myself after watching the vid but my experience with simple plumbing fixes that can turn into projects b/c of old parts that have melded together: I’ll let someone else take the 1st pass.
    Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.
    I do love this gun more than I have liked any particular one lately.

It's an easy gun to love ! Never sell. Never !

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    It might a little sacrilegious to the purist but I’ve done my part maintaining S&W safe queens over the years. Time to have a little fun with one that had a toasted finish.

I dont disagree. Enough parts out there to build a frankengun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It's an easy gun to love ! Never sell. Never !

Yep never sell even though you can still find them.

I think this 5906 will survive since I could trust it to be a house gun (if I needed to sell the Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp), or use it when I want a larger CC ( replacing a couple of other guns), or a range gun when I get the sights dialed in.
    It is a multi-purpose gun AND a classic all at the same time: sounds like a keeper to me. :rockwoot:

Since I have a weakness for wood and stainless, I will eventually stumble into some nice dark wood grips.
    The lighter ones I've seen online so far do not grab my attention.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I think this 5906 will survive since I could trust it to be a house gun (if I needed to sell the Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp), or use it when I want a larger CC ( replacing a couple of other guns), or a range gun when I get the sights dialed in.
    It is a multi-purpose gun AND a classic all at the same time: sounds like a keeper to me. :rockwoot:

Since I have a weakness for wood and stainless, I will eventually stumble into some nice dark wood grips.

Now you're cookin' with gas ! :yesway:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

Try KSD grips.

Might not be much darker. I might have a pair of wood grips. If I don’t mention it in a couple days, send me a message.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    For mine, I ended up getting the Bianchi 7 Shadow 2 Holster

, which is a 3-slot pancake, to be able to carry cross-draw also. I always think it's worth a little extra to get a name-brand holster.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Got the SW 5906 delivered today: $25 FFL fees, not $35: remembered wrong.

Pics speak for themselves, not disappointed except the sights are crap, and it has some small adjustment that I didn't have a tool for at the range.
    If I end up keeping it I'd enjoy it more with some decent grips.
    The pics are as the gun came. I lubed it up after the pics, before taking it out t the range.
    Got to figure out how to adjust the sights: shooting right and low.

e5HWjLd.jpg
    is5UKGY.jpg
    TiilFEc.jpg
    QgKBxLi.jpg
    hyswoxS.jpg
    niDb1Hf.jpg
    BPZiFXD.jpg
    53Jyf2y.jpg
    2BIOF1p.jpg
    XPq2NMB.jpg
    v0ZnmgF.jpg

Rumor was you actually bought a real gun. :):

What I mean is, the whole time you've been here I've seen you handling the smallest squirrel guns this planet has to offer but this one...... this one is one of the heaviest, sturdiest and most dependable guns around.

The S&W 5906 has been on my list for a long time.... just below a Sig MK25 and a few above an M2BMG.
    Congratulations and my hats off to you sir. I am both jealous and embarrassed. Apparently I need to step up my game.

Top Bottom