Russia vs Ukraine anyone watching this ignite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If we nuked the **** out of china while they were distracted stirring the pot in Europe, I wonder if Putin would be willing to go nuclear with us over it

China is thought to have between 200 and 350 deliverable warheads

Fight 'em now or fight 'em later
    I don't think it's in anybody's best interest for anyone to be nuking anybody. That genie needs to stay in the bottle (other than being let out in WWII).

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Looks like me going to Kiev would be like you going from Indiana to roughly Texas.

5sdaj2s694lz.jpg
    Depends on what part of Texas. More like Tucson. That’s a 28 hour drive from Indy. 1600 miles. Dallas is about 14hrs.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If we nuked the **** out of china while they were distracted stirring the pot in Europe, I wonder if Putin would be willing to go nuclear with us over it

China is thought to have between 200 and 350 deliverable warheads

Fight 'em now or fight 'em later
    So, you're saying we should nuke china now as a strategic move hoping to send a message to Putin in the process?

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Why? Seriously. Why? Maybe that's just how he wants to go out. But why do it for that side. Not that anyone should do it for the other side either. I just don't see a side worth dying for right now, even if the dying is in some way part of the goal.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I remember an actual D-Day survivor saying the opening scenes for saving Private Ryan were good but not nearly horrible enough

Yikes
    Well, watching the movie
    1) you aren't much at risk of dying.
    2) climate controlled
    3) not seasick.
    4) not looking at your friend's intestines spilling out.
    5) the movie isn't nearly as loud
    6) no feeling the concussion of nearby blasts

Probably a couple I missed.

I don't know much about Normandy, but I DO KNOW there was a big difference between watching a submarine movie, going on the U 505 in Chicago, and actually watching the hatch close on a real sub.
    Not to mention, when a couple "oops" happened, it seemed much more immediate in real life.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Why? Seriously. Why? Maybe that's just how he wants to go out. But why do it for that side. Not that anyone should do it for the other side either. I just don't see a side worth dying for right now, even if the dying is in some way part of the goal.

I get his point.

If he lives he can look back and say he trained civilians to save their own lives in the middle of a war zone. If he dies, at least he died trying to do what felt right.

Sitting trapped in your head in a wheel chair thinking "why didn't I use the last of my mobile time to do something I felt I had to do" would be a very hard thing to live with.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, watching the movie
    2) climate controlled
    3) not seasick.

I don't know much about Normandy, but I DO KNOW there was a big difference between watching a submarine movie, going on the U 505 in Chicago, and actually watching the hatch close on a real sub.
    Not to mention, when a couple "oops" happened, it seemed much more immediate in real life.
    Forgot about smells.
    Smells can trigger memories.

Subs had a smell. Between machinery and locker room.

And copper pennies trigger blood memories.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, watching the movie
    2) climate controlled
    3) not seasick.

Not to mention the aftermath if you made it through all of that. "PTSD" wasn't a thing back then. At best, they called it "shell-shock". And psychological care once you got home? Forget about it. You were supposed to go back to work as if it never happened. But the soldiers were welcomed back as heroes and not spit on like the Vietnam vets. I wonder if that helped? I wonder what the difference was.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not to mention the aftermath if you made it through all of that. "PTSD" wasn't a thing back then. At best, they called it "shell-shock". And psychological care once you got home? Forget about it. You were supposed to go back to work as if it never happened. But the soldiers were welcomed back as heroes and not spit on like the Vietnam vets. I wonder if that helped? I wonder what the difference was.
    Yes, but AT THE MOMENT of the event, you aren't dealing with that yet.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes, but AT THE MOMENT of the event, you aren't dealing with that yet.
    Very true. Dad was a Sea Bee in the South Pacific and he didn't really want to talk much about his experiences. He wasn't in the heat of the battles, but he saw the aftermath when they went in to the islands to build airstrips.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It may sound strange but sometimes it's the smell that is the worst part. Especially in hot climates.

Oddly enough, though smells often trigger memories, I have a memory that triggers another memory of a smell.

In the surfaced in the Caribbean, I came topside to "look around" and "get a breath of fresh air".
    So, I'm in the "Bridge", looking at the stars (it was night and pitch black), and in my head was the song "Southern Cross".
    Coming up the hatch, was this godawful smell.

When I hear that song in my car, I think back to that night.
    Then the memory of the smell comes up.

Weird.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So, you're saying we should nuke china now as a strategic move hoping to send a message to Putin in the process?
    No

It would short circuit many future problems ie: Taiwan, reserve currency competition, propping up Putin, off shoring, the current arms race and S. China Sea friction

I have always thought MacArthur had the right of it in '51

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    No

It would short circuit many future problems ie: Taiwan, reserve currency competition, propping up Putin, off shoring, the current arms race and S. China Sea friction

I have always thought MacArthur had the right of it in '51
    Well, there'd be that small problem with radioactive clouds and such.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Well, there'd be that small problem with radioactive clouds and such.
    Such a move would definitely not be without consequences. Here we have a majority including the US condemning Putin for even hinting about launching nukes then we go ahead and nuke china.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom