Russia vs Ukraine anyone watching this ignite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    White house Dr says Biden should step down immediately

While I agree Biden has declining mental health issues, the next in line is just as or more clueless and completely unqualified for the job. Third in line is at least as dim a light bulb as #'s 1 & 2 so it would tale a chain of events to get someone at the helm whonis actually
    I am not fully convinced it is a matter of incompetency. If the objective of these ***holes is to cause harm to the States, is there a single thing they would do differently?

Evil is alive and well in the central state.
    There's truth on what you're saying top.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Putin 'has placed the head of the FSB's foreign intelligence branch under house arrest because he is furious at security services for failing to warn him' that Ukraine could fiercely resist invasion

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Considering the effectiveness of man-portable anti-tank weapons, and air-power, including missile carrying drones, are we witnessing the end of the tank as an effective military weapon?

I think we are seeing a transition back to basic infantry tactics as most of the advantages of armor and close air support have been negated by ied’s/roadside bombs and more prevalent man portable anti vehicle weapons.

Kinda like in dune they had moved back to fighting with swords because personal shields made guns useless.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Considering the effectiveness of man-portable anti-tank weapons, and air-power, including missile carrying drones, are we witnessing the end of the tank as an effective military weapon?
    A few countries, like Belgium, already decided years ago to get rid of their tanks for that reason.

Also they are too heavy and big to be deployed by plane.

Tanks are great against tanks but they suck at pretty much everything else, especially in urban theatres.

Even without fancy drones they can be easily destroyed by people throwing molotov cocktails from buildings.

We might not see large tank vs tank battles again like we've seen during the Gulf war in 1991. :dunno:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You might see them again when they become autonomous and robotic. Not having to carry meat they could be more heavily armored around critical systems

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Tanks work better in open country and in the exploitation phase of an offensive. They are big blind targets on a city street unless your population is unarmed. Man carried antitank weapons have cut into the tanks effectiveness as the accuracy and range have improved over the years so the use of armor will best be limited to combat where mobility is more important. Heinz Guderian always favored speed over armor and firepower and having leaders in the front to make on the spot decisions. As long as the blitzkrieg kept moving quickly it was generally successful, slowed down or stopped it was a target.

As successful as the Russians were with Bagration in 1944, it surprises me that they have performed so poorly in Ukraine.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You might see them again when they become autonomous and robotic. Not having to carry meat they could be more heavily armored around critical systems
    They are lighter and smaller too.

A few countries already have unmanned "tanks" in service.

That's a Russian one.

Army19-Uran-9.jpg

They have smaller ones, also with anti-tank missiles and machine guns.

Platform%2BM.jpg

EySrykVXMAUIqDI-scaled.jpeg

And lets not forget robot dogs now being used in warfare ... :faint:

armee-de-terre-spot-de-boston-dynamics.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

That's a Russian one.

Army19-Uran-9.jpg

Platform%2BM.jpg

Although they're cool, those robot dogs kinda freak me out. :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You can still easily kick that robot ...

What really freaks me out is the Russian version of terminator called FEDOR.

A robot that can walk, drive a car and shoot a gun.

Imagine that thing chasing you on the highway.

5d3abb8c15e9f9547e378dcf.gif

FEDOR-Driving-GIF-06212017.gif

Yes, you can kick it, but it can get back up! But that Russian robot... no I would not want it chasing me. :nailbite:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

I think it has been more or less in the same position as the battleship, for a long time now.

There's just too many counters to be worth what it brings to the fight. A big gun doesn't really compare to the effect of a big missile. A big missile is also a lot cheaper than a tank, and can be mounted to a very cheap truck to accomplish the same goal.

IFVs have a place, but wheeling around 80 tons of armor to move around a 120mm cannon seems kind of antiquated to me.

Flash-hider

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012

That's a Russian one.

Army19-Uran-9.jpg

Platform%2BM.jpg

I see these autonomous and robotic gadgets being a dictator's wet dream.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I was a light infantry soldier and see things thru that bias but I still think tanks serve an important role in offensive operations as part of a combined arms team. That means operating with infantry, artillery and air power. These days armor probably does need an active protection system such as the Trophy system to remain viable. Just an old guys two cents.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom