RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    More than normal blind leading blind training today and I overheard a gem of wisdom. "If you ram the clip in real hard the gun will rack" Not sure how the guy knew that??

Even though I still haven't figured out how shoving the mag in really hard retracts and releases the slide he said it with such confidence that I'm sure it must be true. Maybe it's one of those secret Israeli techniques I haven't heard about?

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    More than normal blind leading blind training today and I overheard a gem of wisdom. "If you ram the clip in real hard the gun will rack" Not sure how the guy knew that??

Even though I still haven't figured out how shoving the mag in really hard retracts and releases the slide he said it with such confidence that I'm sure it must be true. Maybe it's one of those secret Israeli techniques I haven't heard about?

[FONT=&]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[FONT=&]Aron Bright[/FONT]

All of my CZ's will do that if you slap the mag home with any real energy. Scared the crap out of me the 1st time it happened. Checking with the men of knowledge at CGW's they said yes they will do that with a vigorous (combat..??) mag change. Ease the mag into lock and no worries.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    All of my CZ's will do that if you slap the mag home with any real energy. Scared the crap out of me the 1st time it happened. Checking with the men of knowledge at CGW's they said yes they will do that with a vigorous (combat..??) mag change. Ease the mag into lock and no worries.

Also a known feature/bug of the S&W M&P. Also a phenomenon that can be made to happen with a Glock, with inward pressure on the slide stop. I know a ton of lefties (myself included) who use that technique in reloads.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My current EDC M&P will drop the slide when I slam a new mag in, but it won't rack it for me.

Maybe I am not hitting it hard enough.... ha ha

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    My current EDC M&P will drop the slide when I slam a new mag in, but it won't rack it for me.

Maybe I am not hitting it hard enough.... ha ha

My bad. If I heard someone say their gun would rack if you rammed a mag into the gun, I'd assume that like 99% of the populace, they had no idea what terminology was proper.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    My bad. If I heard someone say their gun would rack if you rammed a mag into the gun, I'd assume that like 99% of the populace, they had no idea what terminology was proper.
    Exactly my point. Terminology, technology, their lack of basic knowledge of something so potentially dangerous never ceases to amaze me. The fact that they carry a pistol without a thought of being trained in the very basics of the technology is something impossible for me to comprehend. These are not outliers they are 90% of the people I see carrying. It's scary.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Exactly my point. Terminology, technology, their lack of basic knowledge of something so potentially dangerous never ceases to amaze me. The fact that they carry a pistol without a thought of being trained in the very basics of the technology is something impossible for me to comprehend. These are not outliers they are 90% of the people I see carrying. It's scary.

[FONT=&]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&]

[/FONT][FONT=&]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&]
    [/FONT][FONT=&]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&]

[/FONT][FONT=&]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&]
    [/FONT][FONT=&]Aron Bright[/FONT]

And it is endless fuel for the anti's.

Beyond mandatory training (nobody seems to want more intrusion from big brother) what do we do about this. Attempting to enlighten these folks is like arguing with a chain saw.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Beyond mandatory training (nobody seems to want more intrusion from big brother) what do we do about this. Attempting to enlighten these folks is like arguing with a chain saw.
    I'm in favor of a tax break for those who take firearm training classes.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    And it is endless fuel for the anti's.

I've encountered the chain saw you speak about on more than one occasion. One example that sticks in my mind. After assisting in stopping profuse bleeding on a thumb from a slide bite I asked the customer if he wanted me to show him correct grip to avoid future problems. In a very annoying tone he responded "I KNOW what I did wrong:rolleyes:. To myself I said, since you enjoy bleeding and pain I'll leave you to your fun.
    In today's world I have no idea what the answer is. If training is required then there should be a qualification. This dictates people that failed the test would be denied the permit. Telling a person that they are not qualified opens an obvious can of worms that plays out in politics every day.
    It's your right to own a gun just like it's your right to own a car. In the distant past someone decided it was a" privilege" to drive a car so we have a test dictated by the state that everyone accepts without question. I don't think it's possible to have a "PC" test that people would accept. I'm not sure what the answer is but I am sure we are in a more dangerous situation than most realize. The only possible bright spot, if you can call it a bright spot, is that the untrained are probably more of a danger to themselves than others. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Finally got tired of Photobucket and setup an account elsewhere. Pictures are easier so I will be posting more. I'll start with some of the blind leading the blind training I see and others that will range from amusing to horrifying. Note slide skid on left thumb in 1st pic

owskkpM.jpg

QTYdqmt.jpg

bM5cY4C.jpg

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Also a known feature/bug of the S&W M&P. Also a phenomenon that can be made to happen with a Glock, with inward pressure on the slide stop. I know a ton of lefties (myself included) who use that technique in reloads.
    Same with Glocks but it takes finess. Gotta hit it HARD and with a forward glancing blow... to the point that by the end of a match you'll have a bruise. Once or twice is enough for me. Its cool but I dont want to do it more than 3x in a range session.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I've been an RSO a little over two years now. Sorry if I'm late to the party and repeat some of the earlier posts.

AR Stuff

Here's one:
    Dad teaching son to operate an AR.
    I've instructed dad that firearms on the firing line must have the bolt locked back when not in use (action open).
    Dad gives gun to son and has him load up a fresh magazine.
    Dad has son pull charging handle to a rearward position, but not enough to release the bolt.
    Then dad has son push the bolt release on the side of the firearm so the charging handle slams back inside the firearm as the bolt closes.

Strangest loading procedure I've ever seen.

I don't know how many people I've seen (okay, lots and lots) take it easy on their brand new baby and insist on riding the charging handle home. As if somehow their new pride and joy needs TLC because they might leave a mark.

Dude is sighting in his red dot, co-witnessing, using the front flip-up sight only? Can't hit 18x18 paper at 50yds. I suggested he use his rear sight to help. Eventually I went over and asked him and his friend if they would like a little help as they were starting to sound frustrated. They actually said,"Yes"
    I flipped up the rear sight to discover that their red dot was a lower 1/3 co-witness. Aligning just the front sight post with the red-dot in the center of the tube was probably their problem. Blank stares.
    I asked them if they wanted me to adjust it in. It took less than 5 minutes and 10 rounds to put a 1" group in the center of the target.
    Dude takes his rifle back and says, "thanks". Folds down the rear sight to get it out of the way and sprays all over the target. I guess, as long as they went away safe and happy.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    How many rounds do you put down range before you ask for help?
    mARhOWO.jpg

70 slugs, yes I said seventy, I'll never understand people.
    4icIxUu.jpg

No answers, only questions. One of two ladies in a blind leading blind training session, both shooting revolvers VERY poorly.
    euYE69M.jpg

Top Bottom