RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Great story from today.. One of the range counter associates told me a guy returned a rental Glock and when it was locked open he noticed that the barrel was angled upwards. Commented "that must be the reason I couldn't hit anything, the barrel is bent". :lmfao:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

:wow:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Great story from today.. One of the range counter associates told me a guy returned a rental Glock and when it was locked open he noticed that the barrel was angled upwards. Commented "that must be the reason I couldn't hit anything, the barrel is bent". :lmfao:

[FONT=&]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&]

[/FONT][FONT=&]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&]
    [/FONT][FONT=&]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&]

[/FONT][FONT=&]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&]
    [/FONT][FONT=&]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Man you can not make this stuff up......:faint:

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

"There Is Nothing More Dangerous Than Sincere Ignorance"

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I returned the rental G17 w/ the RDS on it because it wasn't sighted in. I definitely couldn't hit anything when using the dot as an aiming point. But it wasn't because the barrel was bent. :D

I think you should have a demo pistol kept behind the rental counter. One that doesn't have any sights at all. And when folks complain about inaccurate pistols or bad sights or whatever - you go get that one and shoot it at the target @ 21' and watch them be amazed at how good it'd be even without sights.

I've thought about doing this with one of my pistols but I just haven't. I haven't taught a new shooter in ages - and I'm not a good teacher anyhow.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Latest pistol training tips.... Lock your elbows straight out, point where you are going and squeeze the trigger. That's all there is to it.
    After having his thumb split open shooting a Mossburg Shockwave guy says to his buddy, "why did you put a f&^%ing rail section on the fore end? reply "because it looks cool".

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Not from the range but verbatim from a listing on Gunbroker and I had to share. "Only fired once by accident being it's a Glock" :lmfao:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Related from the RSO I relieved yesterday. Guy caught a freshly ejected piece of brass down his back and lodged below the belt line. Laid his pistol down and started dancing foot to foot saying, hot, hot, hot. After a few seconds of dancing stripped his pants down to his ankles to get the brass from his crack. One of those "hard to sell without pictures" stories but I have no doubt it happened.
    On my watch I confronted a guy that had a small 380, slide closed pointing it at almost every part of HIS anatomy while he talked to the guy in the next stall. I said "I hope that isn't loaded since you are pointing it at yourself" His response still puzzles me, he said "as long as it's pointing at me it's pointed in a safe direction"? I requested that he place it on the firing line which he did. At that point he says to me, "what's the first rule of gun safety?" My response, always treat it like it's loaded. He responded, "that's right". Still trying to figure out what what was in his mind.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Related from the RSO I relieved yesterday. Guy caught a freshly ejected piece of brass down his back and lodged below the belt line. Laid his pistol down and started dancing foot to foot saying, hot, hot, hot. After a few seconds of dancing stripped his pants down to his ankles to get the brass from his crack. One of those "hard to sell without pictures" stories but I have no doubt it happened.
    On my watch I confronted a guy that had a small 380, slide closed pointing it at almost every part of HIS anatomy while he talked to the guy in the next stall. I said "I hope that isn't loaded since you are pointing it at yourself" His response still puzzles me, he said "as long as it's pointing at me it's pointed in a safe direction"? I requested that he place it on the firing line which he did. At that point he says to me, "what's the first rule of gun safety?" My response, always treat it like it's loaded. He responded, "that's right". Still trying to figure out what what was in his mind.

[FONT=&]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&]

[/FONT][FONT=&]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&]
    [/FONT][FONT=&]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&]

[/FONT][FONT=&]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&]
    [/FONT][FONT=&]Aron Bright[/FONT]

My response to his comment about it being pointed in a safe direction would be.........No it is not. If you shoot yourself I have to deal with the mess. You might be dead and the range has to deal with that mess. The press would be hurtful to us all. Wise up and put the gun down.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My response to his comment about it being pointed in a safe direction would be.........No it is not. If you shoot yourself I have to deal with the mess. You might be dead and the range has to deal with that mess. The press would be hurtful to us all. Wise up and put the gun down.

:yesway:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

I did tell him I didn't want bloodshed on my watch but he just gave me a blank look. Ignorance can be addressed and rectified but stuck on stupid is just that. As I've said before at least 70% of the people I see don't have enough firearms knowledge to safely handle a firearm. 90% of pistol shooters can't reliably hit a 12" circle at 7 yards. Still most feel they have sufficient knowledge and skill so have no need for ANY sort of training.

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I did tell him I didn't want bloodshed on my watch but he just gave me a blank look. Ignorance can be addressed and rectified but stuck on stupid is just that. As I've said before at least 70% of the people I see don't have enough firearms knowledge safely handle a firearm. 90% of pistol shooters can't reliably hit a 12" circle at 7 yards. Still most feel they have sufficient knowledge and skill so have no need for ANY sort of training.

I’ve always considered myself a below-average marksman with a pistol, so this makes me feel a little better in a “not THAT bad” kinda way.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I’ve always considered myself a below-average marksman with a pistol, so this makes me feel a little better in a “not THAT bad” kinda way.

My whole life has been about not sucking as badly as the other people who suck at the activity in question.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Sometimes when I'm at the range I see people shooting poorly, or worse teaching someone else to shoot poorly, and I think "if I just went over there and told them a few things it would result in considerable improvement." Then I realize I can't shoot worth crap anymore either and I get back in my stall and go to work, putting my focus where it should be.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI

You need to get out a bit more often, then.
    Usually when mixing with the general public, the only shooters around are myself and whoever came with me. The rest of 'em are just as likely to strike a baffle/wall than the target (and I mean the WHOLE target including the holder, not just the black).

Top Bottom