RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Sometimes when I'm at the range I see people shooting poorly, or worse teaching someone else to shoot poorly, and I think "if I just went over there and told them a few things it would result in considerable improvement." Then I realize I can't shoot worth crap anymore either and I get back in my stall and go to work, putting my focus where it should be.

But your version of can't shoot worth a crap anymore is better than my best day shooting.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    But your version of can't shoot worth a crap anymore is better than my best day shooting.

That just isn't so. My practice time has dropped off substantially over the past few years. Recently I went to the range and tested some things and my skills have fallen embarrassingly far. Trigger control? What's that? Sights? Nah. Can't see those. Trigger smashing, draw fumbling, slow to pick up the sights, not following through. I struggle to do things or make shots that used to be automatic. It's a real problem.

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Meet you at DCCC tomorrow morning... I will show you again that you are full of it... I had little skill three months ago when I last went to the range. I can all but guarantee that I am now back to beginner levels.

Besides, I still need to pattern that SBS

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Latest quotes overheard at the range. "The safest thing on this range is my target" :):. I liked that one. "I"m going to have to buy me a 45, I can't shoot a Glock worth a s++t. " "Every gun that is not mine always shoots to the left" and the weekly favorite, "how do you load this clip"
    Guy with a full size 1911 dropped in his belt, middle of the back "mexican" style. Looked like it was about to slip his belt and hit the floor, he was a hoot.

Very typical of what I see on a regular basis.... Totally tactical

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Man, I need to stop in and shoot -and see if my ass is good enough to make the post!

Being "good" won't get it brother:D. You will need to demonstrate you're in the same league with the operators pictured above. Just showing up won't get you the gold, you have to work for it. :laugh:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Saw a guy shooting an AR with the rear sight folded down. I suggested he flip the sight up for better accuracy. His response was "I'm practicing like the pros shoot, front sight only but I don't think I'm ready for that yet". :ugh:

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Saw a guy shooting an AR with the rear sight folded down. I suggested he flip the sight up for better accuracy. His response was "I'm practicing like the pros shoot, front sight only but I don't think I'm ready for that yet".

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

"I saw this on TV" was what he really meant. If he left the range with the knowledge that using the sights is the best option, that's a good thing.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have seen many a rifle on TWD with no rear and sometimes even no front sights. They seem to do ok. They hit what they need to and it also has some affect on extending magazine capacity.

Larry!!!

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jun 24, 2018
    Central IN
    Man and woman at a public range, several handguns on thebench. I looked over in time to see thewoman (under the supervision of the man) shoot a 1911, resting on a bag, withher face about 6” from the pistol. Shenow has a nice front sight post scare on her forehead.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    A guy and his two sons arrive with a rental Sig 9mm carbine.. Call me over because it's jammed. He released the bolt with the chamber flag still installed. He said "the guy as the range counter said the chamber flag will come out automatically, did I do something wrong?"
    My thought was, yes you rented a firearm with NO knowledge of how to operate it. Unfortunately many people view firearms in the same way they view video game toys. Sometimes I can laugh at these incidents but when I have 15 or 20 lanes running I have no patience to deal with this lunacy. :dunno:

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A guy and his two sons arrive with a rental Sig 9mm carbine.. Call me over because it's jammed. He released the bolt with the chamber flag still installed. He said "the guy as the range counter said the chamber flag will come out automatically, did I do something wrong?"
    My thought was, yes you rented a firearm with NO knowledge of how to operate it. Unfortunately many people view firearms in the same way they view video game toys. Sometimes I can laugh at these incidents but when I have 15 or 20 lanes running I have no patience to deal with this lunacy. :dunno:

[FONT=&]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&]

[/FONT][FONT=&]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&]
    [/FONT][FONT=&]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&]

[/FONT][FONT=&]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&]
    [/FONT][FONT=&]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Speechless here.

Top Bottom