RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    The email probably went to spam. I’m same...probably nothing I needed. That said, if I stuck with just buying needed stuff I’d rarely enter a gun shop.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Shot at 5 yards the circle for the 10% is about 1 3/8", for 7% it's about 4". The promotion ended yesterday .

Based on that "promotion," I know the store. Are you on the north side of town?
    Asking because, while it is definitely not my range of choice...it is convenient for me.

That said, I have been witness to a lot of stupid actions (patrons) and stupid reactions (RSOs) at that location.
    I sub'd this thread just for the times when I need a good laugh.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I really like this range (on south side). It’s always dry and comfortable inside, close to work, and very reasonable cost/month with my EMS discount. The RSO’s are very quick to correct stupid crap that occurs behind firing line. I feel fairly safe protected on the sides by bullet resistant glass.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I'm Greenwood. Have no idea what happens at the North store. We do our best to keep a lid on things and have some very good RSOs but it's a constant battle. As I've stated before most people have a unrealistic view of their abilities is the basic problem.
    Update, asked again today if the lines on the floor were marked in feet or yards. I wish I had a really interesting answer for that without sounding arrogant but I'm still struck with how silly the question is. Honestly when the guy ask me today my first thought was someone from INGO pranking me.
    Does anyone here think that is a rational question? Also a really catchy answer for the question would be wonderful. Please INGO help me out with an answer that sounds reasonable but makes the questioner realize how silly the question is.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Tell them it’s marked in fathoms.

Seriously, I’d be tempted to look back at them, puzzled, and say “I’ve never thought about it...what do you think?”

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I like it Matt.. "I'm not sure, what do you think?" Now that I have a good answer I'll never get asked again LOL

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    When I go to an indoor range, I generally only buy one of the BIG paper targets. And I can shoot on that ONE big target for 30 mins or an hour - however long I've paid for.

I get the paper that has the most little target zones on it - and then go to town. Duty-caliber pistols get shot at the big target zones. .22LR gets shot in the "white space".

When I feel that the top half of the target is sufficiently ventilated, I'll bring the target back and I'll rotate it 180*. As tall as I am, I don't want to be shooting down at the concrete flooring by aiming too low.

I don't do "drills" at the indoor range, I work on trigger press and accuracy. Maybe I SHOULD do drills.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm Greenwood. Have no idea what happens at the North store. We do our best to keep a lid on things and have some very good RSOs but it's a constant battle. As I've stated before most people have a unrealistic view of their abilities is the basic problem.
    Update, asked again today if the lines on the floor were marked in feet or yards. I wish I had a really interesting answer for that without sounding arrogant but I'm still struck with how silly the question is. Honestly when the guy ask me today my first thought was someone from INGO pranking me.
    Does anyone here think that is a rational question? Also a really catchy answer for the question would be wonderful. Please INGO help me out with an answer that sounds reasonable but makes the questioner realize how silly the question is.

Having attempted to teach a large number of Ivy Tech students about the importance of units, I am not surprised that there are people who do not intuitively recognize the difference between feet and yards. If anyone bothered to teach them earlier in life (parent, older relative, teacher in school, coach, etc), the concept did not stick. Those people are also typically functionally illiterate, whether our educational system is willing to label them such or not.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Having attempted to teach a large number of Ivy Tech students about the importance of units, I am not surprised that there are people who do not intuitively recognize the difference between feet and yards. If anyone bothered to teach them earlier in life (parent, older relative, teacher in school, coach, etc), the concept did not stick. Those people are also typically functionally illiterate, whether our educational system is willing to label them such or not.

Too many people left all the teaching to the school, for everything.
    Then are surprised the kids don't know some things.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

You are correct. I believed that until I was in classroom trying to teach concepts built upon very simple, fundamental ideas. After that, my belief was transformed into knowing you are right.

It's discouraging to believe it. It's downright depressing to know it.

I had a math student who claimed to be a nursing major (apparently flunked out of Purdue). During the chapter on units and conversions, she actually said aloud in class (without being recognized to boot), "If I need to know any of this, there will be a chart on the wall." I'm not joking. You don't forget something like that. I am relieved to say that the individual in question was not selected for the nursing program. The last I heard from her, she intended to become a medical office assistant. I would not hire her for that either.

On the bright side, it was a good segue for sharing the story about those nurses at Methodist who overdosed multiple babies in the NICU with heparin because the vial they received from the pharmacy was not the same concentration as what they were accustomed to receiving. A few of those babies died because those nurses didn't understand units and conversions. I think it's likely that they didn't carefully read the label, which suggest that not only did they not understand how to apply units and conversions, they didn't take it seriously enough to be concerned over it.

Units matter. If you're old enough to shoot a gun and you don't know the difference between feet and yards when you're looking at a big concrete slab with painted marks showing the yardage, you're not "old enough" to be shooting a gun.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    You are correct. I believed that until I was in classroom trying to teach concepts built upon very simple, fundamental ideas. After that, my belief was transformed into knowing you are right.

It's discouraging to believe it. It's downright depressing to know it.

I had a math student who claimed to be a nursing major (apparently flunked out of Purdue). During the chapter on units and conversions, she actually said aloud in class (without being recognized to boot), "If I need to know any of this, there will be a chart on the wall." I'm not joking. You don't forget something like that. I am relieved to say that the individual in question was not selected for the nursing program. The last I heard from her, she intended to become a medical office assistant. I would not hire her for that either.

On the bright side, it was a good segue for sharing the story about those nurses at Methodist who overdosed multiple babies in the NICU with heparin because the vial they received from the pharmacy was not the same concentration as what they were accustomed to receiving. A few of those babies died because those nurses didn't understand units and conversions. I think it's likely that they didn't carefully read the label, which suggest that not only did they not understand how to apply units and conversions, they didn't take it seriously enough to be concerned over it.

Units matter. If you're old enough to shoot a gun and you don't know the difference between feet and yards when you're looking at a big concrete slab with painted marks showing the yardage, you're not "old enough" to be shooting a gun.

It's their second amendment right to own a gun and sadly I'm learning that being stupid also seems to be their right.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    When they ask you just say "I dont know, what do you think?

Then just sit back and wait for the ingo thread pop up "RSO didnt know **** today at the range"
    :):

It amazes me the people who think they have training because they watch YouTube. .

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers

I don't leave everything to the school, but I have been surprised on more than a few occasions by what is not being taught in school. A recent example is learning that the kids are given options in gym to not take part in team sports (they are allowed to run laps, among other options, instead) and that they aren't being taught the rules of these sports even if they are taking part in them. We not only didn't have a choice in the matter, but I'm pretty sure I remember simple written tests about the rules of said sports after how ever long we played that particular sport in PE. I'm not big into basketball and my knowledge of the rules comes from PE classes in other states over the years. My son, a born Hoosier, has never been taught those rules in an Indiana school.

*makes a note* Thank goodness, finally a clear answer.

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    In addition to the issue of teaching, you also have to consider that some people are simply unable to learn.

I didn't fact check it, but this claims that 15% of the population has an IQ under 85. That's getting down there where these kind of concepts are hard to keep straight. If that's the case, 1 in 10 people you meet are pretty darn dumb.

https://youtu.be/fjs2gPa5sD0

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Guy and his girlfriend rent a Glock 17.. Calls me over with the loaded mag laying next to the gun and says "I don't know how to load it". I installed the mag in the gun and ran the slide and turned him loose. He was managing to hit the paper at 5 yards.. TWO magazines later he's training his girlfriend. 5 minutes ago I couldn't spell instructor, now I are one. Again typical of what I see on every shift.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In addition to the issue of teaching, you also have to consider that some people are simply unable to learn.

I didn't fact check it, but this claims that 15% of the population has an IQ under 85. That's getting down there where these kind of concepts are hard to keep straight. If that's the case, 1 in 10 people you meet are pretty darn dumb.

https://youtu.be/fjs2gPa5sD0

Kind of sums up a lot of the economic issues we're seeing and why the "we'll just train them to do something different" and "work harder" aren't long term answer.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana

I don't leave everything to the school, but I have been surprised on more than a few occasions by what is not being taught in school. A recent example is learning that the kids are given options in gym to not take part in team sports (they are allowed to run laps, among other options, instead) and that they aren't being taught the rules of these sports even if they are taking part in them. We not only didn't have a choice in the matter, but I'm pretty sure I remember simple written tests about the rules of said sports after how ever long we played that particular sport in PE. I'm not big into basketball and my knowledge of the rules comes from PE classes in other states over the years. My son, a born Hoosier, has never been taught those rules in an Indiana school.

*makes a note* Thank goodness, finally a clear answer.

It's almost like the government isn't good at doing things.

Top Bottom