• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is it illegal for the government to kill a citizen without due process?

• Total voters

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    No, you ignore the truth unless it agrees with your distorted view of the world.

I see no point in continuing discourse with you. I have given you the facts about muslims waging holy war (I believe they call it "jihad"). You can examine what I have presented, or you can ignore it, it makes no difference to me.

Good day to you sir.

Still waiting for you to cite a source for your "facts". Shouldn't be too hard, them being "indisputable" and all.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    So why have we historically provided traitors with trials?

Maybe because they presented themselves for trial. I don't know that we have always historically provided traitors with trials when said traitors have evaded US jurisdiction.

I'll bet a dinner at Ruth's Chris that Al Awalaki was not the first citizen ever disappeared for treasonous acts without a trial.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Maybe because they presented themselves for trial. I don't know that we have always historically provided traitors with trials when said traitors have evaded US jurisdiction.

I'll bet a dinner at Ruth's Chris that Al Awalaki was not the first citizen ever disappeared for treasonous acts without a trial.

So should we ever provide a trial for a traitor? Shouldn't they have a chance to defend themselves and present evidence? What if they're innocent?

I provided a link to one source - read my earlier post.

Didn't see that 99.9% figure anywhere in your source.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    No, you ignore the truth unless it agrees with your distorted view of the world.

I see no point in continuing discourse with you. I have given you the facts about muslims waging holy war (I believe they call it "jihad"). You can examine what I have presented, or you can ignore it, it makes no difference to me.

Good day to you sir.

And you distort everything anybody else says that does not represent fawning at your feet.

You did not supply facts that they are engaged in Holy War. You supplied a list of acts. I don't think it was even close to 4,000+, so no 99.9 for you. None the less, I fully agree that some Muslims are engaged in jihad. I've never said otherwise. Based upon your comments, you are engaged in Holy War right back at 'em. Live by the sword, die by the sword still means nothing to you? JC would be so disappointed.

(Did you just flounce off in a huff? Yes, it looks like you did. Now that's funny.)

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    So should we ever provide a trial for a traitor? Shouldn't they have a chance to defend themselves and present evidence? What if they're innocent?

If they submit themselves to US jurisdiction, absolutely we should hold a trial, and they are entitled to all the privileges and immunities provided under the Constitution. If they hide out and continue to wage war against the US from foreign soil, they should be stopped from causing further damage to the US, whatever that entails.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If they submit themselves to US jurisdiction, absolutely we should hold a trial, and they are entitled to all the privileges and immunities provided under the Constitution. If they hide out and continue to wage war against the US from foreign soil, they should be stopped from causing further damage to the US, whatever that entails.

Capturing them would stop them and protect civil liberties. Why not just do that if possible? Obviously this is not always possible, just as when police try to apprehend a dangerous suspect. But if possible, then why not?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Capturing them would stop them and protect civil liberties. Why not just do that if possible? Obviously this is not always possible, just as when police try to apprehend a dangerous suspect. But if possible, then why not?

I want to agree, but it's that whole war thing and I'm unwilling to concede that civil liberties should factor into the equation. It's just not worth the risk. If we can take a combatant out with a missile and no risk to human life, then so be it. Having said that there could have been some intelligence value to capturing Al Walaki, but not being in the chain that's pure conjecture on my part. I'm sure that was considered and for whatever reason it was determined that his value dead was greater than his value alive.

I guess if we knew they were going to be in the middle of nowhere and we could swoop in and grab them, I would have no problem, But I also have no problem making them a DNA stain either.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I guess if we knew they were going to be in the middle of nowhere and we could swoop in and grab them, I would have no problem, But I also have no problem making them a DNA stain either.

My biggest issue with this is the possibility of killing someone who may be innocent and would have possibly been exonerated if given a fair trial.

That said, it's pretty unreasonable to put other American's lives in danger to capture a guy who refuses to come back to the U.S. for the chance to prove his innocence.

So while I can certainly see your point on the matter, the slippery slope involved is worrisome. A president with the authority to be the judge, jury and executioner of an American citizen is scary for a lot of reasons.

:patriot:

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    IMHO, when you give aid and comfort to the enemy, go to THEIR neighborhood and stay, and continue to desire for the destruction of your home country, you have unofficially renounced your citizenship, and aligned with the enemy - making you an "enemy combatant"; and as such a valid target for removal from this world...:twocents:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Having said that there could have been some intelligence value to capturing Al Walaki, but not being in the chain that's pure conjecture on my part. I'm sure that was considered and for whatever reason it was determined that his value dead was greater than his value alive.

Same thing with Osama... The master of terror himself. Imagine the intel that this guy had in his brain. The SEALS were in the same room with him, and the official story tells us that he wasn't resisting. He could have been captured with ease. Yet he received the infamous double-tap and the evidence was dumped in the ocean. Intel lost.

That's why this policy strikes me as not only morally & constitutionally questionable (debated ad nauseum), but also strategically incompetent. If the target is important enough that the assassin squad is to be dispatched, then it also must be true that he must have some valuable strategic information. So for multiple reasons, I think it is dumb policy to purposely kill people that could have been captured.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Same thing with Osama... The master of terror himself. Imagine the intel that this guy had in his brain. The SEALS were in the same room with him, and the official story tells us that he wasn't resisting. He could have been captured with ease. Yet he received the infamous double-tap and the evidence was dumped in the ocean. Intel lost.

That's why this policy strikes me as not only morally & constitutionally questionable (debated ad nauseum), but also strategically incompetent. If the target is important enough that the assassin squad is to be dispatched, then it also must be true that he must have some valuable strategic information. So for multiple reasons, I think it is dumb policy to purposely kill people that could have been captured.

The only thing i can think of, is they didnt want some of that information getting out to the general public. I cannot think of a single reason why they would not have even ATTEMPTED to capture OBL. He was too valuable of a target to just kill on site.

Bitter Clinger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2011
    Florida
    The only thing i can think of, is they didnt want some of that information getting out to the general public. I cannot think of a single reason why they would not have even ATTEMPTED to capture OBL. He was too valuable of a target to just kill on site.

How do you know UBL isn't being waterboarded right now? Did you see his body?

Is it just a coincidence several high value muslim terrorists have met their demise since UBL was "killed"?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    How do you know UBL isn't being waterboarded right now? Did you see his body?

Is it just a coincidence several high value muslim terrorists have met their demise since UBL was "killed"?

About as coincidental as all the "high value" terrorists that met their demise before the OBL incident?

Bitter Clinger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2011
    Florida
    About as coincidental as all the "high value" terrorists that met their demise before the OBL incident?

I thought I found something we might agree on. Guess not. If UBL is being interrogated by the CIA right now, I would applaud your beloved Obongo administration. Either way, I give Obongo credit for making a good call by giving the SEALS the green light.

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    So why have we historically provided traitors with trials?

Because historically most traitors stayed at home (for money or whatever reason). Lots didn't -- as my frequent references to the Americans who fought for the Axis powers during WWII.

When you're bearing arms against your country, and supporting the destruction of your country *in your own words*, and you are hanging out in a foreign country with people who want America "gone," and are actually one of their leaders...

I think expecting or even asking for a trial is ludicrous. He should have been all blown up.

I am not losing a moment of sleep over this case.

NOTE: I've changed this from "government" to "country" -- My Marine friend below was correct!

Last edited:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Because historically most traitors stayed at home (for money or whatever reason). Lots didn't -- as my frequent references to the Americans who fought for the Axis powers during WWII.

When you're bearing arms against your [STRIKE]government[/STRIKE] country, and supporting the destruction of your [STRIKE]government[/STRIKE] country *in your own words*, and you are hanging out in a foreign country with people who want America "gone," and are actually one of their leaders...

I think expecting or even asking for a trial is ludicrous. He should have been all blown up.

I am not losing a moment of sleep over this case.

FTFY

Top Bottom