Road rage and self-absorbed douchery on the roadway on the rise?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I think of it like a little kid learning to tie their shoes. How many times do you think you'd have to blow the train horn before they got it right?

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    And what the hell is this new thing leaving 2 car lengths between you and the next car at the light. Have 3 people do this and several behind them are not making the damn light.
    When driving in bad neighborhoods and getting stopped by traffic lights I leave some space in front of me to give myself some space to move if someone approached my car with bad intentions.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Cool trick. Stop when you can still see their back wheels below the fenders. That gives you enough space to move around them, but no so far back that people get annoyed with you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Cool trick. Stop when you can still see their back wheels below the fenders. That gives you enough space to move around them, but no so far back that people get annoyed with you.
    This.
    The morons I am referring to put 2 or more car links between them be the next car in line.
    I have no idea what that is about.
    I have a loaded pistol next to me for anyone approaching with bad intent or even just approaching.
    I worked in every :poop: area of Indy at one time or another and it puts your head on a swivel. Constantly in the mirrors especially stopped. Seen some silly stuff out there. Glad I am done.
    I understand the leaving enough space to roll. Just not 30’ for **** sake.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I thought I might lose my mind just riding from Indy to South Bend on 31 once.
    I don't even want to think about how many times I've made that drive. Especially all the times before they bypassed Kokomo.:n00b:

One of my dad's trucker buddies drove a semi for UPS. Pulling a double, South Bend to Indy, every day, for like 25 years. Poor guy retired after 25 years in his early 60s. They say he got early onset Alzheimer's, but I have no doubt that drive just drove him insane. He was dead by 65.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    This.
    The morons I am referring to put 2 or more car links between them be the next car in line.
    I have no idea what that is about.
    I have a loaded pistol next to me for anyone approaching with bad intent or even just approaching.
    I worked in every :poop: area of Indy at one time or another and it puts your head on a swivel. Constantly in the mirrors especially stopped. Seen some silly stuff out there. Glad I am done.
    I understand the leaving enough space to roll. Just not 30’ for **** sake.

A car length or more while stopped waiting on a light, but will ride your bumper at 60+ MPH on the highway! :xmad:

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I think the amount of intelligence and ability to drive safely is generally underrated in favor of giving anyone with any amount of eyesight and a heartbeat a driver's license. And then you have the ones that didn't even bother with the license.
    We let them drive at 16, die for their country at 18, but can't drink or smoke until they're 21. I don't think the lack of brains is limited to the drivers!

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    How about the cars that keep inching forward at the stop light so they are half way into the intersection by the time the light turns green. Then they don’t step on it when the light finally does turn green.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    And what the hell is this new thing leaving 2 car lengths between you and the next car at the light. Have 3 people do this and several behind them are not making the damn light.
    What's worse to me is the person wanting to make a left turn on a green light, waiting for the traffic to clear, but stays behind the white line rather than pulling out into the intersection. Leaving some space at a traffic light might keep the car behind you from "getting" your rear, while the car behind him, driven by some idiot on his cell phone, slams into him!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeah, the stop WAY back and then inch, inch, inch thing drives me bonkers. I pull up and stop. That's it. If the folks in front of me creep up, I'll just end up with 30'+ in front of me.

Think I picked up that habit when a drove a manual.

The real trick with driving is to just be predictable. Don't leave crazy gaps, don't ride someone's ass, don't turn when you shouldn't, or not turn when you should. Use signals, stay in your lane, and follow the "rules of the road". It is all the unpredictable behavior that grates on one's nerves and ends up in a collision.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I see you with some frequency down here, especially the last couple years. Guy with no rear view mirror and half dozen cars trailing continually? :n00b:
    Ya gotta ask yourself, just how much over the speed limit should I drive to please you? The answer is: "It ain't happenin'!" :cool:

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I encourage you to pass. Just don't do it after you've tailgated me for 20 minutes on dotted straight and level and then rage in a double yellow blind curve or hill and come over on me when you see that didn't work out so well.

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    I find it funny when people do it in vehicles that they really shouldn't....just last night had some idiot on a crotch rocket swerve through an intersection coming out of menards. He was close enough to the hood of my truck that I lost sight of him somewhat. Slammed on the brakes and horn, and the idiot had the gal to tell me that it was my fault....and that he just "didn't care", i have to wonder how many accidents has he caused where someone else got hurt just cause he wanted to drive his bike like an jerk (not the word i would use, but trying to keep it PG).

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    While noticeably worse than in my youth, the "I" roads in Indiana and their drivers are still pretty tame compared to many places.

Take a ride around DC on any road starting with a "I" and ending in "95" if you wanna see some Mad Max s**t. I am typically driving through there late at night during the week or early on Sunday morning, times you'd think would be pretty calm. It's still absolute chaos. Makes Chicago driving seem downright civilized.

When my daughter and SIL moved to the area one of the things their USMC welcome packet said was make sure you have GREAT car insurance, you're gonna need it.

If you look at Allstate Insurance's, America's Best Drivers Report, most of the bottom 10 cities fall on the I95 corridor.
    TRUTH! ^^^

I am a full time IN resident but work at USMS HQ in Arlington, VA (my apt is in DC).
    The I95 corridor, I495 beltway, and I66 are all "disasterpieces." And while I should not judge, Maryland drivers are the worst. Horrible.

As for BBI's OP: We should all have a dash cam. Just look at YouTube to see how much of a savior a dash cam can be.
    Without one, it could be your word against theirs if no witnesses come forward.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Followup question (different friend): when the ghetto inhabitant boldly jaywalks 100 feet in front of full-flow traffic - and you happen to tickle the crap-spot in his pants with your mirror as you go by...same question?
    Road rage in first scenario: No. Teaching moment. Road rage in second scenario? No, I'll do it calmly.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    How about the cars that keep inching forward at the stop light so they are half way into the intersection by the time the light turns green. Then they don’t step on it when the light finally does turn green.
    Gotta keep those roasting hot brake pads they've been overusing from warping the rotors. :):

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Big difference between "trying to scare" and "not my circus, not my monkeys".

I am not TRYING to do anything, other than drive. Not my issue that your lane ended 100 yards back, or that you are stuck out in the intersection, or that you missed your exit. Signal your intention and I am more than happy to help you out.

Race around like an idiot, middle finger extended, horn blaring, and as long as you are not trying to occupy the same physical space as I, you will simply be ignored.

Top Bottom