• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I confirmed yesterday that putting pressure on the front of the handguard on the SW 15-22 effects accuracy and POI. As a test, I moved the front rest to the back of the handguard towards the magwell and the POI shifted about 1 - 1.5" low. From what I've read, using the Tacticool .22 barrel nut adapter with a regular AR free float handguard can help alleviate the issue.

I'll have to decide if I want to go further with upgrades to this rifle in attempts to getting closer to being a 1moa shooter or just start a 10/22 build.

Why not do both? :ingo:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I confirmed yesterday that putting pressure on the front of the handguard on the SW 15-22 effects accuracy and POI. As a test, I moved the front rest to the back of the handguard towards the magwell and the POI shifted about 1 - 1.5" low. From what I've read, using the Tacticool .22 barrel nut adapter with a regular AR free float handguard can help alleviate the issue.

I'll have to decide if I want to go further with upgrades to this rifle in attempts to getting closer to being a 1moa shooter or just start a 10/22 build.

I'm interested in seeing details on this if you move forward. I had read about it many years ago when I got my 15-22, but haven't looked into it since. Depending on cost and difficulty I could be interested in updating mine as well.

https://www.tacticool22.com/how-to-convert-the-sw-mp15-22-to-an-m4-carbine-style-rifle/

Mine is an MOE version, with the quad rail.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We ran that M&P 22 full size ragged today. It ate everything we had, golden bullets, Thunderbolts, M-22, Stingers and whatever else we could find. It was my 8 year old boy's first time shooting a semi-auto. He's addicted now. By the time we left, he looked this Rob Latham. Well, maybe not quite that fast but you get the idea.

I see Steel Challenge in his future.

[video=youtube_share;NXX1nveIDA8]http://youtu.be/NXX1nveIDA8[/video]

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Epoxy curing on ledge of trigger housing to take out rock of 10/22 (since it is now free floated).

Update:

Just put it back together. Almost all rocking gone. Think now it's just trigger housing pin to receiver slop.
    Ordering oversize pins.

I may fab a spring deal to put upward pressure on bbl by V block.
    Old sporters hollowed out under bbl.....have room for some experimentation (no real bbl channel except 2 or 3 inches at the tip).

Pins and then something to bed or push up on bbl near V block.
    If this doesn't get it to show improvement......................

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    It was a bit windy @ today's smallbore match. We shoot 100 yards, prone, sling only.

I'm not going to use the wind as an excuse though. I don't really think it affects poi as much as people say. Everyone shot in the same conditions anyway.

I totally blew my 1st target. Not real sure why but I couldn't get the gun to group. The rest weren't too bad for a tricked out 10/22.

Pics of one of my better groups, score card & guns used by my competition...
    b47e97f290a935be1f24795006a151f6.jpg
    9a14e1809380ed758e2260a0b0c1cce0.jpg
    a4920c4a53ab511ec87366a0489c47fb.jpg
    fd20d6fede1518406d9f4772a2fb0606.jpg
    f14f89c8e9b5c3678fa0989ad7a868e8.jpg
    0be37c7ea0ad708aa47dd3d0dc0c3548.jpg
    23df4939b8f6b0fa431d929e28b8f6d6.jpg

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I didn't see the 10/22 in the pics, just the soft case.

Cool guns though and very good shooting. I don't even think I can remember how to use a sling properly anymore, been a couple of years since Revere's Riders.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I will say that my opinion is that wind causes more fliers than a calm day. I can only judge this from my past experience, but I had a lot more fliers than normal yesterday, on a pretty windy day, than is normal for me. This seemed to be the case regardless of ammo used. I suppose there could be other factors, but the wind was the only variable I can think of, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it... :):

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    It was a bit windy @ today's smallbore match. We shoot 100 yards, prone, sling only.

I'm not going to use the wind as an excuse though. I don't really think it affects poi as much as people say. Everyone shot in the same conditions anyway.

I totally blew my 1st target. Not real sure why but I couldn't get the gun to group. The rest weren't too bad for a tricked out 10/22....

Thanks for the photos of all the target setups. Takes me back 20 years to service rifle matches. Not the rifles, but the mats, scope stands, shooting gloves etc.

I'm not sure I could have ever shot that good of groups unsupported, let alone with a 22lr. Now that I'm shooting NRL22 I'm going to have to practice it though.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    HOP, this looks fun! How packed was the shooting line? How much of an intrusion would it be to show up with a .22 rifle that is in NO WAY competitive and obvious I was just using the competition to dip my toes in the water for this kind of shooting?

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I didn't see the 10/22 in the pics, just the soft case.

Cool guns though and very good shooting. I don't even think I can remember how to use a sling properly anymore, been a couple of years since Revere's Riders.

I have a gun picture way up thread somewhere (Ruger stainless receiver, Altamont KKC stock, Kidd taper barrel, Kidd two stage trigger, Kidd bolt, action bedded using hot melt glue). It's not a normal looking 10/22 by far. The case picture is for shock value & to make me seem better than what I am. :):

This looks fun! How packed was the shooting line? How much of an intrusion would it be to show up with a .22 rifle that is in NO WAY competitive and obvious I was just using the competition to dip my toes in the water for this kind of shooting?

You do not need to be a member to come shoot fcvcc.org matches. The gate is open. Cost is $15. There is a payout.
    Two targets, ten shots each x3 relays for a total of 60 rounds. Unlimited sighters (3 min.) + (10 min x2) shooting stage so 23 minutes total. Shoot as many sighters as you want at any time during the 23 min. Swap targets, shoot two targets, 23 min time limit. Swap targets, shoot two targets, 23 min time limit.

I've been to 3 of their smallbore matches. The 1st time I shot up there, I used a VQ hammer in a stock trigger pack & an 18x scope. I did OK.
    I've got a fine cross hair 24x scope on it now. While better than the 18x, a fixed 32x would work better imo.
    I'm using a $15 military web sling. The fancy slings, shooting jackets and gloves would help but I want to beat these guys hillbilly style.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    More testing.
    Qq2npBi.jpg

RPRR W/ AAC suppressor in ..22lr.
    A0FvG3D.jpg

Thompson Center Contender in HM2
    aTlhmJ0.jpg

Anschutz 1727F in .22lr

qUOVx4n.jpg

Todays ammo selection.

TARGETS.

ajD6hKY.jpg

xhXLuwF.jpg

Ki2fi0T.jpg

Had a little crosswind today. 0 to about 15mph so not a perfect testing day.

The RPRR could have benefitted from additional magnification. The little 10x Swarovski was tough to get a good hold on the thin black target crosses. It really liked the Lapua Super Club. I think it would have done better if I hadn't been guessing so much on point of aim.
    The Bushnell on the Annie goes to 24x and was much easier to see the targets at 50 yds. Wolf Match TGT was the surprise of the day. Shot real well out of the Annie.

I sat down at the bench and had fired about 10 rounds out of the suppressed Annie when movement on the range caught my eye. Coyote at 180 yds. He stood there and watched me change rifles and load the Contender. Have a misfire because selector was on CF. Fix the selector and reopen the action to cock the gun. Then I think I held too high and shot over him. Dang it! Hadn't shot the rifle in over a year and zero had moved a hair too. Was wishing for a CF at that point.
    But it was a GREAT day!

All tgts at 50 yds.
    Quwr25i.jpg

INCLUDING THESE FLIES. Notice the splatter. Killed one then his buddy went to inspect the damage and stuck his head in front of the hole I made killing the first one. Second shot in the same hole. Guess I shoot better when there's meat on the line.:rockwoot:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom