• ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A dime is .705 in diameter.

Hunting guns....keep em inside the dime at 50 yards benched and im happy.

At the point w my target rig its needing bolt work and more ammo experimentation.....am at .4 without going crazy.

Am not going to drop a couple hundred more to go .3 or less

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Picked up the cz today.......aint bad but just doesnt feel as good as that old POS Ruger.

Rimfire sports still doesnt have blued GM sporter bbls in stock.

Have to work this weekend so no playing w accraglass

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    What 4 kinds did you sort and what was the range of thicknesses in each type? Were some types more consistent than others?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    What 4 kinds did you sort and what was the range of thicknesses in each type? Were some types more consistent than others?
    Sorted by weight using a small scale purchased from Amazon that goes up to 100g with the ability to read 0.01g. I'm glad I went with a scale capable of the 0.01g measurement, because most of the ammo measured 3.23 up to 3.40 grams. I noticed a note in the listing on the scales that measured up to 500g or more, when measuring 3-4g or less, the accuracy can be effected.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y61YW7S/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Remington Thunderbolts
    (83 rounds, because that's what I had left in the box)
    - 13 different weights from 3.23 to 3.40 grams.

attachment.php

Aguila Super Extra RN HV
    (100 rounds)
    - 10 different weights ranging from 3.29 to 3.39 grams

attachment.php

Aguila SV
    (100 rounds)
    - 9 different weights from 3.24 to 3.33 grams

attachment.php

CCI SV
    (100 rounds)
    - 10 different weights from 3.24 to 3.33 grams

attachment.php

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    So how are groups measured by the "professionals" ??

I’m a professional shooter (sorta, I’m sponsored by own company, kinda).

I measure outside to inside of the furthest spread (no math).

If one ragged hole I go outside to outside and subtract bullet diameter; if I can’t easily measure center to center.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I’m a professional shooter (sorta, I’m sponsored by own company, kinda).

I measure outside to inside of the furthest spread (no math).

If one ragged hole I go outside to outside and subtract bullet diameter; if I can’t easily measure center to center.
    I don't know why in the world I never thought of doing that! Duh!

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Range trip today and results from the ammo sorting for accuracy testing.

4 different brands across 2 rifles. Ruger Precision Rimfire & SW M&P15-22.

The M&P 15-22 Sport shot the "misc weight" ammo better than the "same weight" ammo, by 3 to 1. The one that shot better using same weight ammo was Aguila SV, but I've shot a better group with it previously using "straight out the box" rounds.

The RPR was a split, 2 to 2. The two that shot better using "same weight" ammo were Remington Thunderbolts (but I've shot it better previously with "straight out the box" rounds) and Aguila HV (this one was a personal best with this rifle/ammo combo).

So going by what I experienced today, for me, I did not see a noticable difference overall that proved that sorting .22 ammo by weight was beneficial or improved accuracy. YMMV.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...So going by what I experienced today, for me, I did not see a noticable difference overall that proved that sorting .22 ammo by weight was beneficial or improved accuracy. YMMV.

From the limited reading I've done, sorting by rim thickness may provide more benefit than sorting by weight since the 22lr headspaces off the rim and in general, less expensive ammo would benefit more from this than top grade match ammo due to greater variation in rim thickness. It also looks to be even more time consuming than sorting by weight.

Although I sorted a few hundred rounds of "better" ammo by weight a while back, I have decided to take a pass on both for now. It appears I can get the accuracy I need for the games I want to play simply by paying 9mm prices for 22lr ammo. It is fun to experiment though and to strive for the tightest repeatable group possible from a given firearm.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Sorted by weight using a small scale purchased from Amazon that goes up to 100g with the ability to read 0.01g. I'm glad I went with a scale capable of the 0.01g measurement, because most of the ammo measured 3.23 up to 3.40 grams. I noticed a note in the listing on the scales that measured up to 500g or more, when measuring 3-4g or less, the accuracy can be effected.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y61YW7S/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Remington Thunderbolts
    (83 rounds, because that's what I had left in the box)
    - 13 different weights from 3.23 to 3.40 grams.

attachment.php

Aguila Super Extra RN HV
    (100 rounds)
    - 10 different weights ranging from 3.29 to 3.39 grams

attachment.php

Aguila SV
    (100 rounds)
    - 9 different weights from 3.24 to 3.33 grams

attachment.php

CCI SV
    (100 rounds)
    - 10 different weights from 3.24 to 3.33 grams

attachment.php
    Ahhhhh ... just look at all those pretty bell curves ... to be sure, this is a small sample, but it helps to reinforce that statistics will win out in the end

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The VQ extractor fixed my issues with the gen2 MP15-22 Sport. Ran a couple hundred rounds with zero failures.

I had an 88 yr. old Smith 41 "expert" I met at the range and have become friends with (another stellar member here) told me that when I did some upgrades to my Smith 41, of which one was the extractor, that I should have used the volquartsen extractor b/c it was much better.
    Not knowing anything of such things: I filed it into long-term memory and put Volquarten on my reading list. :coffee:

It appears I can get the accuracy I need for the games I want to play simply by paying 9mm prices for 22lr ammo.
    It is fun to experiment though and to strive for the tightest repeatable group possible from a given firearm.

Are those rounds the the SK Long Range Match and the Lapua Midas+ that you referred to earlier?
    Which do you recommend between the two?
    I've really enjoyed reading of your (and WT) journey in all this personal research you've been doing with scopes, ammo, barrels and triggers. :thumbsup:

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Blaming Turbo again. Snagged one of his used Tacsol trigger groups off of him. Problem is, the color doesn't match the Hogue stock that is currently on my 10/22 (pic for reference... I really really like this stock).

What better excuse than to build a new rifle?

Leaning towards building it off of a Brownells receiver, 16" Thistlepig barrel, and trying the new Odin chassis posted a little while back.
    45b5e95ffd154dfcc58331b62d4955f7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Are those rounds the the SK Long Range Match and the Lapua Midas+ that you referred to earlier?
    Which do you recommend between the two?...

At the moment, yes. SK LRM is edging out the Midas + in my latest rifle build that I will be using in NRL22 competition. In another gun or with the next lot on ammo the reverse may be true or something else may be better. .22lr ammo manufacturing is just that finicky.

For top accuracy in match rifles, the top competitors (of which I am 100 levels below) test various lots of ammo and when they decide on the best one, they will buy several cases of the same lot number. Not all sellers can or will offer to match your desired lot of ammo so this is done through a few select sellers that cater to the elite shooters.

I just cross my fingers when I order a new brick of ammo and hope it is as good as the last. I haven't got myself to buy by the 5000 round case...yet.

Top Bottom