• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZ Top

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 5, 2017
    Vigo Co.
    Once again, after getting caught up here, more great information. And fun. As others have stated this is a great thread, and heck yeah- a good part of getting in to this is the good people you meet. Deplorables indeed, ha!

After recently shooting my stock 10/22 at a steel shoot I decided to go ahead and race it up some. So now I'm learning about options there. So many! Just ordered a Kidd single stage trigger group and close to deciding on a stock with barrel up next on the shopping list. Costs for such a project, also discussed here a few pages back, are both frustrating and funny. The trigger I ordered cost about the same as the rifle, the stock is about half that and the barrel likely more. So after shooting it stock and doing respectably well with it and with no function problems I'm willingly about to triple the dough I have in it. I should wonder why but instead ask why not? Again, fun.

Also, at some point the price list for parts equals or exceeds the cost of a dang good custom rifle. I've been eying the Ruger Comp 10/22 and using that cost as a baseline I've passed it already with my plans, and I'n being fairly conservative. (Cheap) Oh well. FUN, dangit!!

And I still haven't got started on a good bolt gun...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    While i like nice stuff....i decided at the start I would not dump a fortune into my 1022s.

Am happy w the improvement a Volq hammer swap does trigger wise. Stoned another hammer to almost as good. Barrels? GM and nothing fancy either.

Stock? Well crap ....did buy a Titan. Would like the Fajen synth sporter EABCO blew out at 50 bucks. They were long gone before starting my build.

Currently battling an orig fingergroove. Is free floated now.....needs minor bedding work. Still a PITA.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Part 1 of a very wet accuracy test today.

Henry Golden Boy that I recently upgraded the front brass bead sight with a smaller (0.060" dia) red fiber optic sight from Williams. 50 yards with the usual front rest (Caldwell Rock Jr) / rear leather sand filled bag combo.

Despite how small the bead is on the new sight, it still covers a 3" target at 50 yards, actually it's a tad larger. I was honestly kinda disappointed about that and still struggled with irons once again on this rifle. Better than factory, but not to my liking and my eyes got real tired of playing the focus game today.

Here are the 3 best groups with CCI SV in #1 with a 2.454" group, so about 5moa. Aguila SV shot 2.570" and Wolf Match Target shot 2.637". Not horrible considering it's basically a 3moa front sight, but I'll need to decide the future of this rifle. I like the traditional lines of an iron sighted lever action, but my eyes aren't doing well with irons anymore and I have a serious desire for accuracy these days. Maybe I'll do some scope research and see if there's something out there that would look good and not break the bank. Or not, I've got other stuff to shoot also, this could just stay a plinker perhaps.

attachment.php

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I would be happy with those groups and your sight vs. target size setup.

I would suggest a 6" target size with that front sight so it is not completely hidden by the sight.

A rear peep sight or tang peep sight may be the way to go it you want to stay away from optics.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I would be happy with those groups and your sight vs. target size setup.

I would suggest a 6" target size with that front sight so it is not completely hidden by the sight.

A rear peep sight or tang peep sight may be the way to go it you want to stay away from optics.
    I agree on the target size, if I go big enough that I can see the bead inside of the target, it would certainly help for more consistent aiming. I also thought about using a 6:00 hold, but that's easier with a front post that is squared at the top and not round.

I did install a rear peep on this, it's just a homemade blade insert in place of the factory buckhorn setup. Better, but still a struggle. I looked at the skinner options, but they only bring the rear sight back a few inches since the Golden Boy doesn't have a rail on top the receiver. There's also a rear peep setup that goes on the stock in the rear receiver to stock hole. It looks very strange to me.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Did some bedding to the chassis/action last night on the RPR using aluminum tape and produced a personal best 5-shot group today of 0.204" at 50 yards with CCI SV. Previous best with that ammo was 0.276".

Video is not mine, but for reference as to what I did. I had to add a little more tape on the top than he does in the video.

oazKFLfPKx4
    [video=youtube_share;oazKFLfPKx4]https://youtu.be/oazKFLfPKx4[/video]

attachment.php

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Any cheap postal scale at walmart will work.
    Back when I shot BR-50,NBRSA and later ARA rimfire competetion I spent a lot of nights weighing Tenex ammo.Out of a brick(500 rounds) I would invariably have 15-20 rounds that were way off the scale+/-. I would use these for warm up rounds.Thing is, they would always shoot just as good as my sorted ammo...

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Okay, here we go. 25 yards with CCI SV:

4qBejXlh.jpg

qWCedWwh.jpg

QkaoVRah.jpg

Best two groups were .241 and .239 center to center. Not quite quarter inch groups, but close. If I go edge to edge and subtract .22 I get .223 and .225 :cool:
    .241 and .239 are both under a quarter inch.(.250) Good shooting.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Before I ventured into a "precision" .22 semi auto rabbit hole, I decided to pop a scope on my second gen M&P15-22 and see what it was capable of. I've only used a red dot on it prior to today. Very happy with the results at 50 yards and it outshoots my first gen camo version. After sight in and accuracy testing, I decided to put draw some little square targets on my sight in sheet to do some further testing of CCI and Aguila SV. Pleasantly surprised and produced the best group I've ever had with a 15-22 of 0.963" at 50 yards using CCI SV. The Aguila was no slouch either. I think this is pretty good for a bone stock $300 rifle. However, I'll be swapping in a Larue trigger along with deciding on permanent glass, then work towards shrinking that group size further.

Side note, notice the 6-shot group, had I not miscounted and taken that 6th shot I would have had a 0.853" 5-shot group (that's why I drew the sad face by it).

attachment.php
    attachment.php

attachment.php
    attachment.php

attachment.php
    attachment.php

attachment.php

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members