• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...and can't wait to perhaps get another scope for one of my handguns instead of a red dot.

Please find someone with a scoped pistol and try it out before you buy.

Unless you intend to only shoot it from a rest, even 4X is too much magnification...it visually exaggerates your wobble so much that you will never get a shot off.

I used to squirrel hunt with a 1.3X scope and have talked to others that use a 2X scope.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My deer rig.,.......2x.

Because it looks right. RDS way easier but looked like crap.

eh Contenders are old school.

Did shoot an 8" Ruger auto w reg rifle scope set at 4x off bench. Worked fine but was overhung a bit. Not horrible offhand. Take some practice though. Guys shooting IHMSA offhand w 12x rifle scopes on handguns......dunno if I could do it. Freaked me out

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I looked this over.
    So many choices: overwhelming.
    When I go to the range with someone experienced about such things they will be able to tell whether these would help.
    It seems like they would be raising my head/eye and it follows that it would also lift my head up and over to the left some.
    That is the opposite it what I'm having to do now in my neck having to go right and down for my eye to line up the glass in the scope.
    In my inexperience, it seems that a stock angled lower would solve my issues, so I wouldn't have to angle my neck down, but it would more naturally line my head/eye with the scope. :dunno:
    When I get to shoot with someone at the range that's experienced they will be able to see what I'm doing and advise.
    Maybe, with the arthritis, nothing is going to help, but maybe there is a configuration of higher rings combined with higher rails and the correct angle of stock will be helpful.
    If not, I'll just be limited to shooting 150 - 200 rounds at a range session till my neck says I'm not having fun anymore. :)
    I have had a Ruger Charger with a red dot that I bought off a member months ago, that I haven't even taken the time to play with yet.
    I was saving it for this summer since I've been too busy with other gun pursuits, including this 10/22 I got a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah, I'm just guessing based on stuff you've posted. Definitely sounds like you might have different needs than what I was thinking.

I'm only going to comment on your "dilemma" once, but I think these two videos would do you some good. Watch them once, twice, take notes. Hopefully it helps you out.

[video=youtube_share;Qr4I4bor2HY]https://youtu.be/Qr4I4bor2HY[/video]
    [video=youtube_share;0dsS7Bs99rc]https://youtu.be/0dsS7Bs99rc[/video]
    0dsS7Bs99rc

I've been watching a lot of her videos and they've been a big help!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm only going to comment on your "dilemma" once, but I think these two videos would do you some good. Watch them once, twice, take notes. Hopefully it helps you out.

[video=youtube_share;Qr4I4bor2HY]https://youtu.be/Qr4I4bor2HY[/video]
    [video=youtube_share;0dsS7Bs99rc]https://youtu.be/0dsS7Bs99rc[/video]
    0dsS7Bs99rc

Priceless! Thanks so much! :thumbsup:
    I watched both (& another b/c she is just so captivating!).
    I wrote down the number (#1034) of this post so I won't lose track of it and I can go back and view it over and over.
    I immediately went and got the rifle and closed my eyes and put my cheek where I wanted it and then opened my eyes.
    The crosshairs were way off (tilted to the right so I could hold my head up straighter by angling the rifle back toward the left) from my compensating the adjustment last night: I will adjust that where it is supposed to be.
    I wasn't too far off from being lined up.
    But, if I would have had a cheekrest, my head/eye would have been too high.

I promise I'll work on the things mentioned by her, and watch more of her vids about triggers and the like.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Please find someone with a scoped pistol and try it out before you buy.

Unless you intend to only shoot it from a rest, even 4X is too much magnification...it visually exaggerates your wobble so much that you will never get a shot off.

I used to squirrel hunt with a 1.3X scope and have talked to others that use a 2X scope.

Will do: try before I buy!
    I get the wobble. Happened tonight shooting free hand at lowest level of 3 on the Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x40.
    I learned the first time I used the scope that anything above 5 was wobble city, and I ended up just putting it on 3.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...I learned the first time I used the scope that anything above 5 was wobble city, and I ended up just putting it on 3.

Now imagine that on a pistol. Decades ago I bought a 4x Leupold pistol scope that cost me a small fortune. I was all fired up about it until the first time I took it to the range. It did not stay in use very long and has been gathering dust ever since. I really should sell things I don't use...lol

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Now imagine that on a pistol. Decades ago I bought a 4x Leupold pistol scope that cost me a small fortune. I was all fired up about it until the first time I took it to the range. It did not stay in use very long and has been gathering dust ever since. I really should sell things I don't use...lol

Ouch! A tough lesson! :wallbash:
    Sounds like someone here would probably love the Leupold for their purposes if it would fit on a rifle.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Dont fight the wobble. Hard to do w visual feedback. But the gun w added weight proly wobbles LESS.

Relax and shoot through the wobble. It will become less and whats left predictable.

Dont be surprised if pretty solid offhand after some practice.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    When i got my first 35 rem TC it had a 2.5-7x on it and i ran it at 2.5 all the time. Pops had a Burris 1-4x on a SRH and it sucked even at 1x. Took that POS off and shot my deer irons.

Did have a Leupold 2x on the Great Eight 22/45. Was fun enough off bench. Not bad offhand. Could shoot chunks of clays at 100 benched easy
    Offhand not too hard either.

But it made the handgun......not handy.
    Overall weight and bulk............ruined that gun IMHO.
    Sold scope and gun separately.

Had an Aimpoint clone on .223 TC bbl, and 3 MOA dot. Shot so accurate, the dot was a hindrance...too big at 50 yards, and monster at 100.
    Reddot for deer, yeah..............varmint rig, need finer aiming point.
    EER are tricky, still don't like them much. Have not tried an IER.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Handgun optics......like the Sig Romeo 5. Auto shut off. 2 moa. Its pretty neat......if you dont mind looking through the small tube. Want cheaper get a Bushnell TRS 25. They work.....that 25 mm sight. I just dont like seeing all of the other around the image/ tube. Closer to eye on rifle id tolerate one.

Better for me an Aimpoint clone of Comp or PRO. 30mm. But then it is bigger and makea the gun less handy.

Might be better to go reflex. Small and light.....think 3 moa as small as they go dot wise. Ok but like 2 moa better. Price is higher on reflex

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I love reading this thread. :ingo:

Have I said that before? :laugh:

Half the time I don't understand the terminology and have to google it since I don't have a lifetime of experience.
    I do love the learning, and I'm still so inexperienced that I get a thrill out of field-stripping a gun or taking grips off and putting another set back on successfully, or working with rails, rings and a scope for the first time: small baby steps.
    I'm still not going to take a hammer to the rear sights on my S/W 5906, though, to get those lined up properly. :laugh:
    It does make me really appreciate the adjustments on my Nikon Prostaff 2-9 x40!
    I'm probably to only person here who can get excited about a $110-$120 optic. :lmfao:
    Sorry for the past 2 yrs. of asking inane questions. :dunno:

Last evening, I was at the range and a man started talking to me about my retirement, and I had to ask how he knew.
    Evidently, I had sold him a gun a couple of times in the past and we met at the police station in Noblesville (he was in uniform).
    I didn't recognize him, but I really appreciated him speaking up and we had a great conversation about his latest buys, and I mentioned 3 myself. :)
    That was fun!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Half the fun of this hobby/obsession is the good people you meet and have great conversations with ;)

Well said! :thumbsup:
    That has been my delightful experience with everyone I have dealt with: good, salt-of-the-earth people!
    I have members who text me about input and advice, just like friends! :cheers:
    I have only been around 2 yrs.: I can't imagine after 10 yrs.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Okay, here we go. 25 yards with CCI SV:

4qBejXlh.jpg

qWCedWwh.jpg

QkaoVRah.jpg

Best two groups were .241 and .239 center to center. Not quite quarter inch groups, but close. If I go edge to edge and subtract .22 I get .223 and .225 :cool:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Nice! You are making me want to get the 22LR out for some fun. Can't do it for a couple of weeks though.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Okay, here we go. 25 yards with CCI SV:

4qBejXlh.jpg

qWCedWwh.jpg

QkaoVRah.jpg

Best two groups were .241 and .239 center to center. Not quite quarter inch groups, but close. If I go edge to edge and subtract .22 I get .223 and .225 :cool:

Nice shooting. So that's basically 1moa, which is about what I got from my RPR at 50yds using the factory Ruger barrel and that same ammo. Consistency, I like it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom