• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Snagged a "used" Wrangler in silver today for the sum of $150. Would have preferred the bronze, but quite happy with the silver. Sales guy said it came in yesterday. Should fill my desire for a fun .22 revolver and a nice complement to the Lite.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO .75-.50 at fifty hards benched is a good hunter. Sub .5 is even better ;)

Killed a lot of stuff w rigs not even that good. Never claimed them tackdrivers though

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had one 1022 that shot cci blazer into .75 repeatedly....at 50 yards benched. Ten shot groups too. Only mod was a Volq hammer. Gun had been shot a lot by orig owner. Well used but good shape...evidently he never dinged the crown. It was collectible and too nice to risk afield. So away it went.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Any gun can turn in a good group once in a while.....by just luck or even bad shooting countering equipment variables. Never know. So sure somebody might get a shocker out of a dog. But to claim it always does it.......you never see these guys at shoots lol

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I wanted a .5 or less at 50 yards rig. Cost me 400 bucks ( not counting scope ). I thought that a bargain. Of course the gun ended up heavier than i wanted and the stock ergo not ideal for me.

So i bought another one....to try for a .75 at 50 hunting rig. I cant get it to do .75 at 25 yards. LOL......probably the 2nd worst 1022 ive ever had.

Yrs ago i had a Rem 552 that shot Yelliowjackets pretty good. Itd throw one now and then though. Dunno if that was gun or ammo related.

Did have a 22 pistol that was dynamite......with hyper V. Yeah...,they discontinued that ammo......and the gun had some reliability issues. So that sucked.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My Anschutz 141 w reg SuperX ammo was the best out of the box gun. Bone stock......decent general ammo. It shot as good as my 64M. Didnt care for that long trigger though. But it was a good shooter......w nothing done. My 541 T HB was not as good. Maybe it would have beaten it w diff ammo. Experimentation was w maybe half a dozen brands.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    What I'm looking for right now in my rifles is a happy medium between group size, consistency and cost. If match grade expensive .22 ammo gives me the smallest group, it doesn't mean that's what I'm gonna shoot the most out of the rifle, but it is nice to know what the gun is capable of. I'm looking to improve my skills more than anything, but I always keep cost in mind. Everyone has a different budget to work with and different areas they are willing to spend a little extra in. I'm not here to impress anyone, but do enjoy sharing my results of any testing I've done, good or bad.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Vertical stringing may appear better than is afield due to shooting offhand. My fingergroove 1022 shoots high low left and right.....a general group. No trend. I think that the worst type of performance.

My old sporter is now freefloated and yet to be tested. Might get out this weekend. Dont mind minor work, cost, experimentation.....but this is approaching hassle/ PITA status.

Rimfire madness for sure

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Trying to dial in my "new" Ruger 10/22 Mannlicher, bought off a member here.
    2nd time to the range at only 50' (16.6 yards) on a front rest x150 rounds.
    I was aiming, shooting and adjusting the whole time.
    Using the X and numbers at 12, 3, 6 & 9 o'clock position.
    WairP8X.jpg

Going from a rest to free hand was a wake-up call.
    I was getting tired and neck was hurting by the time I got to shooting free hand at the bottom row.
    1PvEtgx.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    What I'm looking for right now in my rifles is a happy medium between group size, consistency and cost. If match grade expensive .22 ammo gives me the smallest group, it doesn't mean that's what I'm gonna shoot the most out of the rifle, but it is nice to know what the gun is capable of. I'm looking to improve my skills more than anything, but I always keep cost in mind. Everyone has a different budget to work with and different areas they are willing to spend a little extra in. I'm not here to impress anyone, but do enjoy sharing my results of any testing I've done, good or bad.

I agree. Only running match ammo......dont need or want that in my hunter. Dont give a flip about impressing anybody eithe. Just passing along results.

It does honk me of when i make good shots and they dont land where they should. Am at the point where its gun/ ammo and not me thats the problem.

Been there for years too. Maybe it makes me more picky. Not trying for BR50 type of groups. Just want repeatably decent. Got sub .5 at 50 yds. That was the goal and once achieved...it was " ho hum". Id like a .5 at fifty hunter but will tolerate a .75. Thats what im after now.

My cz might be there now. Or with a bit more break in. It however does not feel as good to hold as that &$@# fingergroove.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I had a few 10/22's, but was never that impressed with the accuracy of them and preferred a pistol grip stock. I knew there was an aftermarket to increase accuracy, but never wanted to spend the money, so off they went.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I wish there were more aftermarket accuracy upgrades for the M&P15-22. I think part of the issues I see with mine is the forend seems sensitive to any pressure on it. I've seen mentioned that the barrel to upper receiver area could use improvement.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've had, modified, built, and rebuilt better than a dozen 10/22's over the years. Fun to experiment with. I've got a bunch of higher end rimfires these days and all of them will better .5 at 50yds with ammo they like and a steady hand at the tiller. It's a giant rabbit hole you all have started down that can end with $2200 Coopers, $4000 Anschutz's, and $5000 to $7000 Dakota's and customs. Y'all have my deepest sympaties.

Top Bottom