• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I spent ~3 hours at the range with my new Kidd build rifle testing a variety of ammo and while it didn't do terrible with any of it, I eliminated CCI SV, CCI Green Tag, Wolf Match Extra and Federal GM Match. SK Rifle Match and Lapua Midas+ gave me the best groups although at $0.30/rd I only fired 30 of the Lapua. Two other shooters on the range said they were having good luck with SK Long Range Rifle Match so I have some of that on order.

The following are all 10 shot groups at 50 yards with a light and shifting breeze. While I don't consider any groups shot today to be great, the rifle is showing potential.

SK rifle Match...

The upper left hole has 5 shots through it.

HlCx5Ws.jpg

IMtgnNp.jpg

Two Lapua Midas+ groups toward the end of the session with my eyes giving out...

pDeB2Yx.jpg

The first shot on the left target ruined the group...lol

I fired a couple of groups at 100 yards and barely held 1.5 MOA with the breeze although I got my holdover down and did OK offhand on a 6" steel plate.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for sharing gmcttr!
    All those look inspirational to me.
    50 yards/150 feet: seems like awesome groups to me, and you will do better with even more precise ammo, :wow:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice gmcttr!

We noticed it took the better part of 150-200 rounds before the Kidd barrel really found it’s groove last night. What weight do you have your trigger set at?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Nice gmcttr!

We noticed it took the better part of 150-200 rounds before the Kidd barrel really found it’s groove last night. What weight do you have your trigger set at?

I put a few more than that through it today. At one point the groups really opened up which was probably just me, but I pulled a bore snake through it twice and it settled back down. Most likely all mental.

I had them set the trigger at 12oz/12oz which I liked today. The NRL22 matches have you shooting from some awkward positions at times so I think I'll take a wait and see attitude toward lightening the pull.

This was the first time I have used Ruger 10/22 mags and my first impression was that they suck to load. I figured out the right technique late in the day and they aren't that bad...sort of.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I plan on borrowing the scope from my gen1 15-22 and putting it on the gen2 model to see what groups it can produce in my accuracy test.

ccarver497

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2017
    Greenwood
    Here is my CZ 455. It is a Tacticool with all DIP internals and rail, Fly Weight trigger, Atlasworx trigger guard, Trijicon Rings, Trijicon Illuminated 3-9x40, and Magpul Bipod. I know I’m missing a few things but it is a tack driver! I need to get some pics of my Volquartsen Summit as well. She is really fun to shoot and amazing for squirrels.

Attachments

• 7A81EB44-74B9-4B66-ABDD-5BB5E11A1019.jpg
      7A81EB44-74B9-4B66-ABDD-5BB5E11A1019.jpg
      155.2 KB · Views: 15

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Here is my CZ 455. It is a Tacticool with all DIP internals and rail, Fly Weight trigger, Atlasworx trigger guard, Trijicon Rings, Trijicon Illuminated 3-9x40, and Magpul Bipod. I know I’m missing a few things but it is a tack driver! I need to get some pics of my Volquartsen Summit as well. She is really fun to shoot and amazing for squirrels.

Squirrels stand zero chance against hat I would believe.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Very nice!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...I (and nearly all the Revere's Riders instructors) run our scopes WAY far forward. So far forward that most have extended rails and modified rings. If you aren't shooting prone competitions, this might not be as important to you but it is proper positioning.

More info please. What parts are used and sources, photos, etc would be greatly appreciated.

I am already running into issues in unsupported prone (sling only) and sitting positions with the scope not being forward enough on this rifle.

JtFltjl.jpg

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    More info please. What parts are used and sources, photos, etc would be greatly appreciated.

I am already running into issues in unsupported prone (sling only) and sitting positions with the scope not being forward enough on this rifle.

JtFltjl.jpg

Getting an extended rail on the Kidd receiver could be fun with the built in rail. Since you mentioned you have the cheek riser, what about one of the cantilever ring mounts?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

My dream rifle! :thumbsup: Very, very nice!
    With my limited knowledge about .22LR rifles, to me, this one is to .22LR rifles what the CZ Shadow 2 is to 9mm handguns.
    If I ever get to fire something besides a Ruger 10/22 Mannlicher, I might lose control, as I did when gmcttr let me shoot his Shadow 2 last summer.
    I used to be proud of my "thriftiness," but that went out the window, spending double than my other most expensive gun (also a CZ).

Wtih rifles, I suspect that the "good deal" has much to do with the scope with it, as well.
    I have so enjoyed reading about .22LR rifles in this thread, and have spent more time reading and researching them than handguns the past month, trying to acclimate pricing so I'll recognize a stellar deal when I see it.
    Just last night I saw one in the classifieds I was going to try out that I'd been watching, but had sold.
    That's two now I've missed b/c of my being slow and not knowing about pricing.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Getting an extended rail on the Kidd receiver could be fun with the built in rail. Since you mentioned you have the cheek riser, what about one of the cantilever ring mounts?

You are right. After posting, I realized the Kidd receiver will not except other mounts.

The cantilever mounts I'm familiar with raise the scope height too much compounding the amount of hold over/under going from 25-100 yards.

I think my best bet is to move the rings forward one slot and move the scope as far forward in them as possible. I looked at having the front ring another slot forward when I installed it but it left a small portion of the ring on the tapered front portion of the base. I can gain 1/2" this way but it will also require modifying the back of the base for clearance of the scope adjusting ring.

The other (better?) possibility I will look at is re-drilling the base mounting holes back one slot.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You are right. After posting, I realized the Kidd receiver will not except other mounts.

The cantilever mounts I'm familiar with raise the scope height too much compounding the amount of hold over/under going from 25-100 yards.

I think my best bet is to move the rings forward one slot and move the scope as far forward in them as possible. I looked at having the front ring another slot forward when I installed it but it left a small portion of the ring on the tapered front portion of the base. I can gain 1/2" this way but it will also require modifying the back of the base for clearance of the scope adjusting ring.

The other (better?) possibility I will look at is re-drilling the base mounting holes back one slot.

I hadn’t thought about the hold over/under change with the extra height.

TJ is right, you could gain some movement with both rings on the back half. Would it still be stable enough like that? I’ve seen it done, but never tried it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Weaver makes an extension ring.
    Ugly and I hate that old style of ring.............but.............

Weaver - Scope Mounting Rings - Detachable Top Mount[h=2]http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_bases/rings/detachable_top_mount/#[/h]
    49043_00486.gif

Try these to get the ideal eye relief. They let you position your scope forward or rearward.

Part NumberDescriptionMSRP
    490901" MED EXT BLACK$34.45
    490911" MED EXT MATTE$34.45
    490431" EXT HIGH MATTE$34.45
    490601" EXT HIGH BLACK$34.45
    490351" EXT HIGH SS$45.45
    484481" EXT X-HIGH BLACK$34.45
    484491" EXT X-HIGH MATTE$34.45
    490611" DUAL EXT BLACK$36.95
    490451" DUAL EXT MATTE$36.95
    4915530MM LOW EXT BLACK$41.95
    4915030MM LOW EXT MATTE$41.95