• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If Mcapo’s is the other side of the ledger, this one must be down the rabbit hole and coming out in Looney Tune land. :):

4iZeBzc.jpg

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Which Ruger? And what made you like the Ruger more?
    The 22/45 Lite is the one that I liked the most. They had a 22/45 target, a regular stainless, and 22/45 Lite. The 22/45 target had a good price, but I would like to get one with a threaded barrel already, so that leaves me with either the Lite or Tactical.
    I got to hold the Victory, but cycling the action on it...I didn't like it. It had the same sound that I've heard when watching videos online, which sounded like it needs oiled. The Rugers all had a very smooth action. So now I'm just trying to decide between the Tactical and the Lite for the Mark IV Ruger.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you want to shoot little groups, I’d go for the heavier barrel. The weight stabilizes things well.

For an all-around great plinker, the Lites are awesome. I found them to be too light for “precision” work in my hands though.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    If you want to shoot little groups, I’d go for the heavier barrel. The weight stabilizes things well.

For an all-around great plinker, the Lites are awesome. I found them to be too light for “precision” work in my hands though.
    Actually, the one that I looked at today had a bull barrel. The price was $329, which I thought was good, but no threaded barrel.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Ok, so I want a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Tactical...now to find a used one. LOL
    pay close attention to which one you're getting. They make a "true" Mark IV tactical and a 22/45 Mark IV tactical. I went with the Mark IV I didn't want the polymer frame on the 22/45. Nothing against polymers just personal preference if I have the option to choose.

Last edited:

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    That's sharp! I'm not much for lights, but that's looks good.

Not too big on lights either makes finding a holster a pain but I got it on there for all those pesky trash pandas when they wanna root in the garage at night. Hoping to upgrade to a streamlight or surefire for it. for being a cheapo its been going strong for about 8 years though

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Not too big on lights either makes finding a holster a pain but I got it on there for all those pesky trash pandas when they wanna root in the garage at night. Hoping to upgrade to a streamlight or surefire for it. for being a cheapo its been going strong for about 8 years though

Why change what isn't broken? Unless you want to, who am I to judge. Haha

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    8 Years is good! The brand of something for the most part tells you what you can expect, but even that isn't 100% reliable. I have a difficult time replacing something that is currently working well and serving it's purpose. Definitely run it 'til it stops running.
    Also, thanks for the tip about the two different tactical versions!

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Now I'm thinking about getting the 22/45 with the bull barrel and then if sometime down the road I want to change to a threaded barrel then just put one in. Is there a downside to this?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Nice collections. I've recently become interested in acquiring one of these, or maybe both eventually. Still on the wish list.

S&W Model 17 Masterpiece
    Model%2017_zpspd0ulcq1.jpg

S&W Model 41
    Model%2041_zpsx7xcfnrv.jpg

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Now I'm thinking about getting the 22/45 with the bull barrel and then if sometime down the road I want to change to a threaded barrel then just put one in. Is there a downside to this?

MkIVs are so easy to swap uppers that I wouldn’t pay to just thread a barrel on one. Even the older Mks weren’t that difficult to swap uppers around.

If you decide you want a threaded barrel, pick up a Volquartsen or TacSol upper.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    MkIVs are so easy to swap uppers that I wouldn’t pay to just thread a barrel on one. Even the older Mks weren’t that difficult to swap uppers around.

If you decide you want a threaded barrel, pick up a Volquartsen or TacSol upper.
    I was looking on the Volquartsen website and I agree that getting an upper from them would probably be a good route. It looks like the only differences in the 22/45 and the 22/45 Tactical is just the barrel, does that sound right to you? Would I be losing anything by getting the regular 22/45? I would be saving around $130, but if I put that $130 that I'm saving into an upper from Volquartsen, then I would be getting a $295 upper for $165. My wife hates it when I do this kind of analysis, she thinks there is some kind of trickery involved, but it makes sense to me. LOL

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I was looking on the Volquartsen website and I agree that getting an upper from them would probably be a good route. It looks like the only differences in the 22/45 and the 22/45 Tactical is just the barrel, does that sound right to you? Would I be losing anything by getting the regular 22/45? I would be saving around $130, but if I put that $130 that I'm saving into an upper from Volquartsen, then I would be getting a $295 upper for $165. My wife hates it when I do this kind of analysis, she thinks there is some kind of trickery involved, but it makes sense to me. LOL

I agree with your wife.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    It looks like the Tactical version is cheaper than the Lite version, which isn't what I heard from the LGS, so mcapo is right, my numbers are off. Once again, he's the voice of reason. LOL

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I think the only difference the Tactical has is the lower rail and threaded barrel. The Lite should be the most expensive model of the 22/45 line.

Just a quick look at the online store for Highsmith (Greenfield):
    22/45 standard is $368.75.
    22/45 tactical is $467.50
    22/45 Lite is $515.

No idea how those prices compare to other local stores or Buds, but they should be relatively in line with the difference between models.

Street prices on the Pac-Lite upper, from TacSol, are around $250 and the VQ LLV4s are around $335.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I think the only difference the Tactical has is the lower rail and threaded barrel. The Lite should be the most expensive model of the 22/45 line.

Just a quick look at the online store for Highsmith (Greenfield):
    22/45 standard is $368.75.
    22/45 tactical is $467.50
    22/45 Lite is $515.

No idea how those prices compare to other local stores or Buds, but they should be relatively in line with the difference between models.

Street prices on the Pac-Lite upper, from TacSol, are around $250 and the VQ LLV4s are around $335.

At my LGS the standard 22/45 is $329 and the Lite is $459, so it seems those are pretty good prices. They didn't have a tactical in stock. Thanks for the prices!

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN

From what i'm seeing it would be missing the tapped holes for the rail on the underside of the barrel.

Ya I made the mistake between the Mark IV and the 22/45 when I ordered it from buds. Had to change my order around. At the time I didn't even realize they had a Mark IV version available. If I remember right originally it was only the 22/45 tactical that was available a few years back when I planned on getting one. Yep it took me a few years to get around to one lol too many other projects. When I ordered it, it was close to when the Mark IV hit the market too.

Top Bottom