• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Looking at the Ruger Mark IV pistols, how do you decide between so many? I'd like to get something that isn't too expensive and that I can have fun with and upgrade.

I didn't like the luger style grips of the standard, target and hunter models, so I opted for the 22/45 tactical, because it was threaded and I had hopes of eventually buying a can for it and also because at the time I found it on sale. Definitely a solid choice and another one you'll get to shoot at the SGE ;)

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I didn't like the luger style grips of the standard, target and hunter models, so I opted for the 22/45 tactical, because it was threaded and I had hopes of eventually buying a can for it and also because at the time I found it on sale. Definitely a solid choice and another one you'll get to shoot at the SGE ;)

I definitely have to agree with this. I have a mk IV Hunter (stainless and wood, of course) but do not shoot it the best and I think a lot of it is the grip angle. Well, that and I am half blind now...

Last edited:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The grips are very different, something that need to be felt to decide what is preferred.

It took me a bit to adjust to the Luger style grip. I liked the 22/45 until I started spending more time with the MkIII Hunter. The more time I spent with the Hunter the less I preferred the 22/45, readjusting to the grip just being one reason. Why Ruger still doesn’t build an aluminum or steel 22/45 frame is a mystery, it would sell well. With the MKIVs the argument against an aluminum 22/45 is even weaker than it users to be, as the polymer 22/45 frame weight 7.68oz and the aluminum Luger frame weighs 9oz.

At this point I’ve spent so much time with the Luger grips, even Mrs. Turbo’s Buckmark is uncomfortable for me. I can shoot the Buckmark just fine, but it feels very odd every time I pick it up.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Well so much for that plan. The VQ internals kit was in the mailbox, but somewhere along the lines the shipping envelope got ripped/cut/sliced open and the the TK trigger is missing. USPS is looking into it and they will call back in 2-3 days with a resolution.

I suppose I could put it together with the stock trigger for now. Maybe see if the trigger is the same between the MkIII and MkIV, I’ve got an extra VQ trigger.
    Rest assured. LOL

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I like the look of the 22/45 tactical a lot! I'm looking forward to trying the different ones out. The S&W victory is much more appealing after the grips are changed. All of this is just from looking at pictures. It sounds like all the different models and brands can be just as precise, but it also sounds like it may cost more to get some of them there.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Cost is derived from preference. What you like will dictate the final cost.

I know that any Mk series I buy will have another $160 in the trigger work. Plus any extra if I change the uppers.

I know if I picked up a SW Victory I’d have have about $350 in the barrel and trigger work.

But that’s just to get to where I expect them to be, not because they have to have that to perform.

Last edited:

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Cost is derived from preference. What you like will dictate the final cost.

I know that any Mk series I buy will have another $160 in the trigger work. Plus any extra if I change the uppers.

I know if I picked up a SW Victory I’d have have about $350 in the barrel and trigger work.

But that’s just to get to where I expect them to be, not because they have to have that to perform.
    Interesting! So a MK doesn't need a different barrel, but even though the trigger cost more the total cost is cheaper than a Victory (for you). I heard that the Victory's trigger cost less (about $40?), but if you need to get a different barrel then that changes things.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Like I said it’s preference. Trigger feel and the balance are my primary drivers for change.

I have 4 Mk series, 2 have factory receivers (barrels). The weight balances better for me with the steel frames on the Mk series. So that’s what I stick with. The aluminum frame isn’t bad, but I notice the change in balance.

I find the Victory (and the 22/45s with a heavy barrel) to be nose heavy. So a lighter barrel is a requirement. Likewise, all of 22 pistols (that are range toys) have a TK Victory flat faced trigger, so that adds some cost.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Like I said it’s preference. Trigger feel and the balance are my primary drivers for change.

I have 4 Mk series, 2 have factory receivers (barrels). The weight balances better for me with the steel frames on the Mk series. So that’s what I stick with. The aluminum frame isn’t bad, but I notice the change in balance.

I find the Victory (and the 22/45s with a heavy barrel) to be nose heavy. So a lighter barrel is a requirement. Likewise, all of 22 pistols (that are range toys) have a TK Victory flat faced trigger, so that adds some cost.
    Ok, so the barrel change had nothing to do with accuracy. Got it.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ok, so the barrel change had nothing to do with accuracy. Got it.

It would be arguable.

The VQ LLV is more accurate than the taper barrel I took off, but not drastically so.
    The VQ carbon barrel is noticeably more accurate, but it has 16” of sight radius.

Both are lighter than the factory barrels. One is threaded and one is a bit silly.
    Worth the cost? Maybe. For accuracy alone? Probably not unless you are an experienced bullseye shooter. Accuracy was never the driving factor, just a bonus.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Heard from USPS today, their response was basically a big middle finger unless there is insurance. Called TandemKross to find out if there was insurance and they stepped up in place of the USPS and there is a replacement trigger on its way.

Huge thanks to TK, they really went above and beyond when the mistake wasn’t their fault.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Heard from USPS today, their response was basically a big middle finger unless there is insurance. Called TandemKross to find out if there was insurance and they stepped up in place of the USPS and there is a replacement trigger on its way.

Huge thanks to TK, they really went above and beyond when the mistake wasn’t their fault.
    USPS makes little to no effort. I place the smallest amount of confidence in anything sent USPS. The confidence that I have is that the item I'm sending will be processed and I will pay the shipping charges in full.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I think that I'm leaning more toward the Ruger. Now I'm trying to decide between the Lite and the Tactical. Both of these have the threaded barrel if I ever decide to suppress.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Just put the vortex on last night

vHdjLMh.jpg

Top Bottom