• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Social Conservative doesn't equal Constitutional Conservative. For example, a social Conservative as defined by today's standards does not approve of government recognized gay marriage. A Constitutional Conservative knows that the government has no authority over such issues.

And in the same line of thought, should not by legislation or decree, sanction gay marriage. Been plenty of that going on.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Social Conservative doesn't equal Constitutional Conservative. For example, a social Conservative as defined by today's standards does not approve of government recognized gay marriage. A Constitutional Conservative knows that the government has no authority over such issues.

So, going by the Constitution, you agree that it's up to the individual states to determine what constitutes a legal marriage in their own state?

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    So, going by the Constitution, you agree that it's up to the individual states to determine what constitutes a legal marriage in their own state?

I suppose one could make that argument, but I agree with J_Wales. The Government should not be involved in marriage at all. That was my point in all of this. A social Conservative tends to accept government over reach in areas where they have no right to meddle, whereas constitutional Conservatives do not.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I suppose one could make that argument, but I agree with J_Wales. The Government should not be involved in marriage at all. That was my point in all of this. A social Conservative tends to accept government over reach in areas where they have no right to meddle, whereas constitutional Conservatives do not.
    Not my intent to stray from the subject, but this leads me to a related question. Do "right wing extemists" favor such things as bans on gay marriage, or do they take the position that government should not be involved in marriage at all?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Not my intent to stray from the subject, but this leads me to a related question. Do "right wing extemists" favor such things as bans on gay marriage, or do they take the position that government should not be involved in marriage at all?

That's the trouble with this paradigm. Some people think that being Right-wing means wanting minimal government. Others think that it means enforcing Bible-code on people, banning plants, being scared and hateful of certain other groups, supporting anything to do with anti-terrorism, being vehemently pro-war, etc.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    That's the trouble with this paradigm. Some people think that being Right-wing means wanting minimal government. Others think that it means enforcing Bible-code on people, banning plants, being scared and hateful of certain other groups, supporting anything to do with anti-terrorism, being vehemently pro-war, etc.

Well said.

What is often referred to as extreme left or extreme right are essentially the same thing.... extreme control.

Neither are compatible with Liberty.

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    The Original and still the BEST! Order Up!

RWX Eagle - $15.00 : Juggernaut Graphics

rwxeagle_01.JPG

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I've got mine and it's a hoodie!

I really like the wolverines shirt you made too, and the skull with the crossed AK's is on weekly rotation. Once i get some more money together i'll be ordering again. I meant to PM you and say thanks for the deal (is it over?) and the fast shipping but here is as good a place as any.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    They can call me what they want. If our forefathers where still alive they'd be right-wing extremists right along with us.
    Strictly speaking, I think the FF were left of the monarchical scheme they lived under at the time. Our form of government is more liberal (in the classical sense) than a monarchy.

:+1: Rep for you.

Extremism of any sort is bad because it encourages belief without skepticism. When you stop thinking critically about your own ideals, you stop making educated decisions and start making potentially bad ones.

Are you suggesting I should start considering the merits of a ban on guns?

I understand the point you are trying to make but it is illogical if one believes that there are absolutes in this world. Relativism is not a valid standard, IMO.

I believe in our rights as laid out by the constitution and even moreso, our personal responsibilities as citizens. A big part of which is, in my opinion, supporting social progress -- which happens to be opposed quite frequently by the current version of the republican party, and modern conservative movement.

How do you define social progress?

I make Reagan look like a communist.

Doesn't say much considering there are some who think he was just that.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

I'm just making the point that the Constitutional argument, someone who claims to go by the Constitution would have to agree that while it grants no power to the federal government to regulate marriage, it certainly doesn't prohibit the states from doing so.

Whether or not the states "should" do it is another question entirely. But you were invoking the Constitution. A "Constitutional Conservative" would hold the position that the authority resides with the individual states.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm just making the point that the Constitutional argument, someone who claims to go by the Constitution would have to agree that while it grants no power to the federal government to regulate marriage, it certainly doesn't prohibit the states from doing so.

Whether or not the states "should" do it is another question entirely. But you were invoking the Constitution. A "Constitutional Conservative" would hold the position that the authority resides with the individual states.

Dross, I tried to make a similar arguement on another thread a week of two ago but was not very successful. Regardless on how one feels about homosexuality, it is obvious that pop-culture or social progressiveness or what have you, has engrained into our culture that a (wo)man cannot truly be free until the federal government recognizes his marriage to another (wo)man.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Founded by men that relied on God's guidance to leave a land in which they were religiously oppressed...

Edit: Thought it was worth noting that Thomas Jefferson first coined the term 'Separation of Church and State' in 1802.

....right after raping his slave
    (the irony of those that believed in "freedom")

Top Bottom