• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Wouldn't they also likely take your gun too if you had to use it??

Maybe keep another in a car safe..

Buddy of mine shot and killed a man in Michigan. Police took the remaining rounds from his mag, and let him go. Indiana might be different, though. If they did take my gun, I always have a BUG on me.

Funny thing is, he shot him four times with a 1911, and he didn't die until he was on the way to the hospital. He also did not erupt into flames. I think some people over sell the 45ACP.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    bullet placement....

Humans are fragile in general so a auto pistol in a lower velocity cartridge can end the fight, but where the revolver shines is in bigger thicker skinned agressive creatures.

Pistol calibers in general aren't rifle calibers, therefore the reason for the criminal dieing later, rather than instantly...

Back to bullet placement...

CPT Nervous, so according to your post I shouldn't leave the house without a full molle rig with sidearm, and rifle and multiple mags for each, plus my armor plates. Otherwise I wouldn't be ready for anything that may come along... right...

Look my little SP101 is easy to drop in a pocket and is what I call my forget me not carry gun, and the Beretta 92FS is more for a trip to a place that has known trouble and lots of people, plus the 686 is for going out into the night where the chances of seeing another person are pretty slim but creatures and vermon frequent, and then the DW in 357 maximum is for bear country... Almost all conditions can be covered by a revolver...

Another thing... Shoot what you carry, and carry what you shoot...

It's all in the bullet placement...

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Pow. 8 rounds of 357 Magnum. More ft-lbs on board than a 1911. I don't own one, yet anyway.

M&PR8.jpg

You need to remedy the absence of such a weapon from your arsenal....and so do I:D

I love revolvers.

I carry either a 6 shot moon clipped 45 ACP - fixed sights, thin barrel, no snag, easy to AIWB no problems all day. One time I biked 10 miles with it, not a prob.

TRRModel22-4fullLH2web.jpg

Or, my backup gun / around the house gun is an 8 shot 2.5 inch 357 mag loaded with dpx 38 special.

5725139794_8bba0a4471.jpg

Both are very easy to conceal AIWB, much easier than most autos.

I like revolvers, but they A. Gotta have moon clips and B. either have to be very smooth and rounded, or short barreled C. Got to have a full length ejector rod and D. be a N frame.

You just won the award for "Coolest Back-Up Gun":D

You are correct that ANYTHING mechanical can malfunction. I shoot competition(autos and revolvers but mostly revolvers these days) and I say that I have seen thousands of malfunctions(mechanical not human;)) from autos to a dozen or less from revolvers.

I have been working on Smith revolvers and doing trigger jobs on them for over 20 years. Smiths don't just go out of time, it takes thousands of rounds or someone messed with the gun that didn't know what they were doing. I have a couple that have over 50K thru them and still time out as good as new. One of them has mostly heavy USPSA and bowling pin loads thru it, the other mostly light steel loads.
    I have NEVER seen a Smith that was out of time so bad that I wouldn't shoot it in a fight. When the timing is checked on a Smith revolver the trigger is pulled DA SLOWLY to hear the cylinder lock into position. When used in a fight the trigger will be snapped back fast and the cylinder will have the momentum to lock into place even with late timing. So the gun will not be useless.
    There are things that can go wrong with a revolver but thing like timing and wear items don't just go bad in a holster. If it was working when you put it in the holster it will work when you take it out. That is not always the case with a auto and if you don't believe me go to a USPSA match sometime and watch. (Bring a gun and shoot the match as it is no fun just watching).
    That being said I own, shoot, and carry BOTH auto and revolver. I just happen to prefer a wheelgun.

A couple more pros for a wheelgun

Can be fired multple times from a coat pocket without malfunction.

Can go to a local gun shop and buy a revolver that will kill ANYTHING on earth. (.460 or .500)

This is a great post, Paul. And, of course, you are absolutely right- timing will not take a revolver out of a fight unless it is out of time sooo bad a primer can't light off. My 625 is going out of time (2 cylinders so far) but I'm still shooting it, keeping a close eye on things. Regular firing/pulling hammer back offers enough turnover to lock-up, right now. Good thing is, fixing timing issues on a Smith is a pretty straightforward and simple ordeal.

There are a few things that will take a revolver out of fight.

1.) Badly Bent Moonclip (cylinder won't shut- no problem if you've got more clips)
    2.) Return Spring Snaps (actually had this happen on an LCR in under 200 rounds)
    3.) Powder Under Ejector
    4.) Bent ejector rod
    5.) Build-Up Crud on the forcing cone
    6.) Somebody gets close enough to you to hold the cylinder

All of these save 1 and 2 will occur only through a lot of firing.

There's probably a few more bosshoss can think of. I've personally never seen a revolver go down in a competition, but I've only been shooting since Sept of last year.

Wrong while Jerry is the king several shooters have put the time and dedication into trying to beat Jerry and they have come close at the Major matches, last years USPSA nationals Jerry was behind Matt Griffin most of the match and came from behind to win by a half point on the last stage....Years ago that is what several USPSA top shooters did for training to get to the top level, shoot a revolver for a while and learn to make every shot count and watch the sights with the longer trigger pull. Going back to a auto from revolver upped their game.

Revolvers (in competition) is a tough and frustrating game but worth the work and improves your shooting of everything.
    Jerry being an example he is one of the best 3 gun shooter alive.:twocents:

The Jerry/Matt thing is like the soap opera of the revolver world. All of us like to see Jerry win, but most of us pull for Matt to at least catch him once:laugh:

I agree that the more competency one gains with a revolver, the more those skills translate to every platform. That's the way its worked for me anyway. Julie G is another good example- only 5 class national winner in USPSA. Plus, when you run a revolver for a while and pick up a semi, it's like somebody just put the training wheels on and you let the lead fly:D

At the end of the day, I think a large part of it is what you are more comfortable/accustomed to shooting. I do everything with revolvers from carry to competition to hunting. I feel at home with the platform. Really enjoy semis as well, just not as comfortable with them yet.:twocents:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I do not own a revolver and only shot 1 in my life time, but I am going to get one. I know there are Revolver fanatics and Pistol fanatics. What are some of the pro's and con's of both? When I do decide to get a revolver, what would be a good one to start with?
    A lot depends upon what you are going to use it for. If it is going to be a range only gun and you don't reload, I'd get a .22 LR caliber. If it is going to serve multiple purposes, like home defense, hunting and target shooting, I think a revolver in .357 Magnum is a good choice. One can shoot .38 SPL ammo interchangeably in a revolver chambered in .357 Magnum. Learning to shoot accurately in the double-action mode may take a while to master. While they are more rare (thus more expensive) than 4" or 2.5" revolvers, I like the 3" varieties. One of my favorite revolvers is my S&W model 60-10 chambered in .357 magnum and with a 3" barrel. It stays handy at my house in a lock box. Other good choices are S&W models 66 & 686. Ruger makes some good ones, but I prefer the Smiths.

I have both semi-autos and revolvers. They both have their uses. I am fortunate in that I've received quite a bit of formal training with both revolvers and semi-auto pistols, as well as, rifles and shotguns. For self-defense, I have used a S&W 642 revolver for many years. I am comfortable with it and loaded with good defensive ammo, it will do the job if I do mine. With the improvement in guns and ammo over the years, semi-autos have earned a niche in the market for self-defense purposes. I don't feel as though in a civilian capacity that I am hindered by only carrying 5 rounds of CCI Gold Dot .38 SPL Short Barrel ammo, if I train often enough to remain proficient. It is most likely that if I ever need my handgun for self-defense (here's hoping I never do) that the encounter will be close and the 5 rounds should stop someone if the rounds are well placed. I am considering adding a S&W Shield to my collection. If it proves to be reliable, I may consider switching to it for personal defense.

For hunting with a handgun, I only use revolvers. The non-exotic magnum calibers seem better suited and conform to Indiana laws. They also can be reloaded less expensively than some of the more exotic semi-auto fare. The hunting-suitable semi-autos are heavier and clunkier than the revolver.

A revolver is a good choice for a first-time handgun and I think that any serious handgunner should have at least one. Like most things, however, it requires training to feel safe, comfortable and proficient. Get some good formal training if you can.

awilson82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Im generally a pistol guy but I have a desire lately to buy a single action in .45lc and a S&W 586.

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Know several people that carry semi-auto as their primary with a backup revolver. As said before, anything mechanical can malfunction. Pick one, or both, and practice. I own both types and enjoy shooting both types. Experienced far more problems with semi-autos vs revolver. A Smith or Ruger revolver would be a fine choice.

lildave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Like both but tend to lean toward revolvers, they are reliable, that's what I grew up with, having said that I sometimes carry a pistol, depends on where I'm going and what I will be wearing. Both are good, personal choice.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Out of box smith triggers are miserable. Luckily it's not that hard to research and know what needs done, and get the trigger to surpass most semi-autos even in double action.

Running just shy of 7 pounds on my 686SSR and it hits with enough authority to pierce softer primers.

The biggest pro of a revolver is ease of reloading. Don't have to police your brass all day long. They don't care what kind of bullet you stuff in them.

Reliability is the same as with all mechanical devices. Glock semi-auto vs Smith revolver will be a straight draw. Get so tired of people thinking revolvers are more reliable when they're infinitely more complex with more moving parts and small springs and pins...

1.) Badly Bent Moonclip (cylinder won't shut- no problem if you've got more clips)
    2.) Return Spring Snaps (actually had this happen on an LCR in under 200 rounds)
    3.) Powder Under Ejector
    4.) Bent ejector rod
    5.) Build-Up Crud on the forcing cone
    6.) Somebody gets close enough to you to hold the cylinder

All of these save 1 and 2 will occur only through a lot of firing.

You forgot one that can happen to anyone at any time, primer set back tying up the cylinder.
    And FTCU "Failure to carry up" meaning the gun is out of time.

Personal experience across hundreds of guns tells me a quality semi-auto from an honestly reputable company will be a more reliable and dependable gun than any revolver.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    A lot of the Pro's people listed can be negatives same with the Cons being positives.
    The giant one to me the entire weight issue of steel vs plastic. Either way your giving up something.

The real question is what do you want a pistol to do then decide what you want. And then practice with it. Firearms are tools there is no wonder tool that does everything you need no matter what the infomercials say.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Wrong while Jerry is the king several shooters have put the time and dedication into trying to beat Jerry and they have come close at the Major matches, last years USPSA nationals Jerry was behind Matt Griffin most of the match and came from behind to win by a half point on the last stage.

Not sure why you are arguing with him and then go on to more or less repeat what he said. There is a top tier in everything competitive that most people will never reach. Beating Micheal Jordan in a pick up game in the 90's comes to mind.

Showing the exception to rule doesn't change a general rule. 99.9% of America will never be in that .1% Everyone can get better with practice but not everyone is going to be the best.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Out of box smith triggers are miserable. Luckily it's not that hard to research and know what needs done, and get the trigger to surpass most semi-autos even in double action.

Running just shy of 7 pounds on my 686SSR and it hits with enough authority to pierce softer primers.

The biggest pro of a revolver is ease of reloading. Don't have to police your brass all day long. They don't care what kind of bullet you stuff in them.

Reliability is the same as with all mechanical devices. Glock semi-auto vs Smith revolver will be a straight draw. Get so tired of people thinking revolvers are more reliable when they're infinitely more complex with more moving parts and small springs and pins...

You forgot one that can happen to anyone at any time, primer set back tying up the cylinder.
    And FTCU "Failure to carry up" meaning the gun is out of time.

Personal experience across hundreds of guns tells me a quality semi-auto from an honestly reputable company will be a more reliable and dependable gun than any revolver.

Ah, yes, primer set-back is a good one to note. I have never had it happen or seen it happen.

Outside of that, I guess we just run in different shooting circles and have had the total opposite experiences with revolvers and comparing their reliability to semis:dunno:.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Im generally a pistol guy but I have a desire lately to buy a single action in .45lc and a S&W 586.

This is my favorite revolver:

IMG_2039.jpg

Uberti Regulator .45

This is my wife's EDC:
    53824.gif

I own both autos and revolvers and my EDC is an auto. But there is a world of difference in shooting a revolver and an auto. I find I can single-hand my revolver much easier than my auto. Again though, different calibers and different type of recoil so don't read too much into that. But an SAA is great fun to shoot and I would definitely not be afraid to use it in a fight. I actually find it just as accurate one-handed as my two handed grip on my auto and just as quick to bring back on target. Two-handed I shoot much better with the .45. That's just me though.

My wife carries a .38 Special. My sister has .357 magnum. Both like revolvers because they do not have the hand strength to pull back the slide in an auto. This is more of a common problem than you might imagine for women and I have rarely seen it addressed on this forum.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Ah, yes, primer set-back is a good one to note. I have never had it happen or seen it happen.

Outside of that, I guess we just run in different shooting circles and have had the total opposite experiences with revolvers and comparing their reliability to semis:dunno:.

I've had that problem with shooting Ultramax through my .45. (see picture in previous post) I've found that it really likes Winchester and BVAC ammo. Ultramax would hang up the cylinder every time.

One note: It is harder to find .45 that is not "Cowboy Rounds". Obviously I can't shoot +P in it, but I like my ammo to be as hot as the gun will take. If I ever the time comes that I would want to use it for SD I have some Winchester Silver-Tip HP. Nice ammo for this gun! I expect that would be in a SHTF situation though. No good way to conceal it!:D

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I usually carry pistols when off my property but I like revolvers when moving around on my property. I can load 2-3 birdshot/snakeshot, 2 varmint and 3 personal defense rounds in and just spin the cylinder to what I want to shoot. Haven't found a way to do that with a pistol yet.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I usually carry pistols when off my property but I like revolvers when moving around on my property. I can load 2-3 birdshot/snakeshot, 2 varmint and 3 personal defense rounds in and just spin the cylinder to what I want to shoot. Haven't found a way to do that with a pistol yet.

New game! Varmint Russian Roulette!:D

Top Bottom