• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    It's almost like asking what the pro's and con's are between 2dr and 4dr vehicles. Everyone has different tastes and circumstances. I would also be willing to bet that much like firearm owners, no two vehicle owners will use their purchase in the same way.

That being said, it's apples and oranges. Personally, today I had an apple, tomorrow, I may want an orange. That's why I bought both.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    They most certainly do jam, and when they do a simple "tap, rack, bang" won't get them back into action. When a revolver goes down, they go down hard - so much so that you better have a back-up weapon as the malfunction is likely going to require time and tools to fix.

Exactly. This ^^^ is the thing so many forget. They can go out of time. This, in a fight, is useless. Your gun is no more than a bludgeoning tool at that point.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    It's almost like asking what the pro's and con's are between 2dr and 4dr vehicles. Everyone has different tastes and circumstances. I would also be willing to bet that much like firearm owners, no two vehicle owners will use their purchase in the same way.

That being said, it's apples and oranges. Personally, today I had an apple, tomorrow, I may want an orange. That's why I bought both.

What about a peach or a grapefruit?

Something to think about:D

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I love the smith 686's Best pro for revolver is not having to chase brass :)

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I love the smith 686's Best pro for revolver is not having to chase brass :)

A 686+ is on my wish list...

....and the 627 Pro is on my DREAM LIST. 8 rounds on .357 = Win / Win and it's damn sexy, in a non-conventional wheel gun kind of way.

170210_01_md.jpg

Last edited:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I love revolvers.

I carry either a 6 shot moon clipped 45 ACP - fixed sights, thin barrel, no snag, easy to AIWB no problems all day. One time I biked 10 miles with it, not a prob.

TRRModel22-4fullLH2web.jpg

Or, my backup gun / around the house gun is an 8 shot 2.5 inch 357 mag loaded with dpx 38 special.

5725139794_8bba0a4471.jpg

Both are very easy to conceal AIWB, much easier than most autos.

I like revolvers, but they A. Gotta have moon clips and B. either have to be very smooth and rounded, or short barreled C. Got to have a full length ejector rod and D. be a N frame.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I like the versatility and simplicity of revolvers. Easy to learn and maintain. Many options for grips. As has been previously mentioned, they aren't particular about ammo.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    get both, to hell with the pros or cons.
    i love pistols. almost all pistols.
    I carry semi auto, and keep revolver at home.
    Revolvers are works of art, well most of them are. just one exception off the top of my head, rhino. other than that one, revolvers of every make belong in a art mueseum, hanging on the wall.
    yes i know i cant spell.
    enjoy what you own, and strive for more.

I like that!

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    They most certainly do jam, and when they do a simple "tap, rack, bang" won't get them back into action. When a revolver goes down, they go down hard - so much so that you better have a back-up weapon as the malfunction is likely going to require time and tools to fix.

You are correct that ANYTHING mechanical can malfunction. I shoot competition(autos and revolvers but mostly revolvers these days) and I say that I have seen thousands of malfunctions(mechanical not human;)) from autos to a dozen or less from revolvers.

Exactly. This ^^^ is the thing so many forget. They can go out of time. This, in a fight, is useless. Your gun is no more than a bludgeoning tool at that point.

I have been working on Smith revolvers and doing trigger jobs on them for over 20 years. Smiths don't just go out of time, it takes thousands of rounds or someone messed with the gun that didn't know what they were doing. I have a couple that have over 50K thru them and still time out as good as new. One of them has mostly heavy USPSA and bowling pin loads thru it, the other mostly light steel loads.
    I have NEVER seen a Smith that was out of time so bad that I wouldn't shoot it in a fight. When the timing is checked on a Smith revolver the trigger is pulled DA SLOWLY to hear the cylinder lock into position. When used in a fight the trigger will be snapped back fast and the cylinder will have the momentum to lock into place even with late timing. So the gun will not be useless.
    There are things that can go wrong with a revolver but thing like timing and wear items don't just go bad in a holster. If it was working when you put it in the holster it will work when you take it out. That is not always the case with a auto and if you don't believe me go to a USPSA match sometime and watch. (Bring a gun and shoot the match as it is no fun just watching).
    That being said I own, shoot, and carry BOTH auto and revolver. I just happen to prefer a wheelgun.

A couple more pros for a wheelgun

Can be fired multple times from a coat pocket without malfunction.

Can go to a local gun shop and buy a revolver that will kill ANYTHING on earth. (.460 or .500)

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Revolvers and Semi-autos all have thier pro's and cons... I do like my Semi-auto wonder nine while thick in the city, but nothing beats a revolver in a magnum caliber when out in the sticks... The semi has fast reloads and round count on it's side, the revolver has magnum velocities and durability on it's side...

They both are the right tool for the right job... so don't forget to get them both...

Can you tell I like revolvers.....

rev06637.jpg

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    You are correct that ANYTHING mechanical can malfunction. I shoot competition(autos and revolvers but mostly revolvers these days) and I say that I have seen thousands of malfunctions(mechanical not human;)) from autos to a dozen or less from revolvers.

Sounds about right.

I shoot 2-3 matches every month for the last year or so. I've yet to see a wheelgun choke. I see semi-autos, including the "perfect" Glock, do it every weekend. ;)

now I'm really tempted to get that R8 and shoot it in production.. :D

Also, FWIW, Last month at ACC's steel match, the 2nd fastest time for any of the holstered divisions was a guy shooting am open wheelgun. The top centerfire revo shooter would have been 2nd in production, beating 13 semi-auto shooters, and 4th fastest coming from a holster. These guys aren't super-talented freaks(and I say that in the most admiring way) like Jerry Miculek, just shooters that have put in some time getting proficient with their chosen platform.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Revolvers and Semi-autos all have thier pro's and cons... I do like my Semi-auto wonder nine while thick in the city, but nothing beats a revolver in a magnum caliber when out in the sticks... The semi has fast reloads and round count on it's side, the revolver has magnum velocities and durability on it's side...

They both are the right tool for the right job... so don't forget to get them both...

Can you tell I like revolvers.....

rev06637.jpg

What do you think of the R8?

Top Bottom