• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I do not own a revolver and only shot 1 in my life time, but I am going to get one. I know there are Revolver fanatics and Pistol fanatics. What are some of the pro's and con's of both? When I do decide to get a revolver, what would be a good one to start with?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    My suggestions would be a
    K22 smith, cons expensive , Pro's accurate, smooooooth trigger, cheap to shoot

Next ones in order
    Smith 686 Cons Centerfire little more expensive to shoot, Pro's accurate, plenty around smooth trigger
    Ruger GP100, Same as Smith but not as good on the trigger.

4 inch bbl's for General shooting, 6 inch for target and hunting.

There are others
    Ruger single actions have such a round grip that it doesn't fit some well but the thing I don't like is the long lock time.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    REVOLVER pro's are you can shoot any light load, MAGNUM calibers can be had in a compact platform, con's most revolver only shoot 6 rounds & reloads are slower, lost of gas thur the barrel/cylinder gap, lost of velocity

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My suggestions would be a
    K22 smith, cons expensive , Pro's accurate, smooooooth trigger, cheap to shoot

You forgot "pretty.":D

17-3010.jpg

17-3002.jpg

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    IMO revolvers are outdated technology, though still relevant obviously. Six shots is definitely enough to get the job done against one or more attackers, but I just feel more comfortable with double that. The cylinder makes revolvers very wide in the center, and more difficult in general to conceal than an automatic pistol.

Automatics are so reliable (good ones, like Glock and M&P) these days that revolvers don't offer many advantages. I guess the main advantage of a revolver is that some people like the looks of them better, and they are as simple as possible to load and clean, and probably more accurate at long distances.

Pistol Advantages
    Thinner
    Lighter
    Higher round count
    No need to eject spent shells before reloading
    No need to pull hammer back in SA (or with DAO strikers)
    Faster follow up shots
    Faster reloads (mag vs speed loaders)

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    get both, to hell with the pros or cons.
    i love pistols. almost all pistols.
    I carry semi auto, and keep revolver at home.
    Revolvers are works of art, well most of them are. just one exception off the top of my head, rhino. other than that one, revolvers of every make belong in a art mueseum, hanging on the wall.
    yes i know i cant spell.
    enjoy what you own, and strive for more.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    For self-defense against the evil two-legged animal the PISTOL is better, but for hunting four legged animal, get a revolver;)

I do agree with that over simplification! I used my 686+ for deer hunting.

I use my M&P9c for self defense, and a Beretta PX4 for home defense right now. Night sights and rail lights are also important advantages found mostly on pistols.

EDIT: That revolver above looks awesome! I never saw one, but I like it. Great if you want a red dot. Holy sh** are they expensive though.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    IMO revolvers are outdated technology, though still relevant obviously. Six shots is definitely enough to get the job done against one or more attackers, but I just feel more comfortable with double that. The cylinder makes revolvers very wide in the center, and more difficult in general to conceal than an automatic pistol.

Automatics are so reliable (good ones, like Glock and M&P) these days that revolvers don't offer many advantages. I guess the main advantage of a revolver is that some people like the looks of them better, and they are as simple as possible to load and clean, and probably more accurate at long distances.

Pistol Advantages
    Thinner
    Lighter
    Higher round count
    No need to eject spent shells before reloading
    No need to pull hammer back in SA (or with DAO strikers)
    Faster follow up shots
    Faster reloads (mag vs speed loaders)

True to some extent, but it's the Indian, not the arrow as the old saying goes.

This guy will flat out smoke 99% of the semi-auto gun owner population on any measure of speed.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uisHfKj2JiI[/ame]

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I do agree with that over simplification! I used my 686+ for deer hunting.

I use my M&P9c for self defense, and a Beretta PX4 for home defense right now. Night sights and rail lights are also important advantages found mostly on pistols.

EDIT: That revolver above looks awesome! I never saw one, but I like it. Great if you want a red dot.

S&W M&P R8 with an Aimpoint Comp M4 and an insight M6(?) light/laser. According to internet legend, it was built for the pointman in a SWAT stack carrying the big bullet proof shield because semi-autos would jam up trying to shoot them along side it.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    If you think Jerry Miculek is fast with a double action, watch this handy work with a single action.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9AJzv8gb2A[/ame]

The problem is, these men are the exception - not the rule. Very-very few people have the skill of these men.

For the average shooter, the auto will be by far faster and easier to master than a revolver, if speed is your goal.

DocSkunk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Kendallville
    ok i will drop in my :twocents:

Semi auto

Pros:
    Ammo count
    ammunition price (dpeneds on cal)
    mag reloads
    popular by numbers
    concealable (in some models)

Cons:
    Picky on ammo
    get dirty quicker(depends on the firearm)
    Stove pipes
    double feeds
    have to clear jams
    parts galore( more to go wrong)
    No time taken to shoot accurately
    run out of ammo faster
    plastic

Revolver -

Pros:
    Not picky on ammo
    Doesn't stove pipe
    doesn't jam
    doesn't double feed
    cycles past a dead round with a trigger pull
    simplicity
    Precision shooting
    looks badass
    isnt plastic made of metal MOST of the time

Cons:
    Index wears down
    ammo count
    ammo price (unless you buy a 9mm or .22cal revolver)
    somewhat slow reloads
    not easily concealable

With any firearm its really up to the user. personally I myself wouldn't carry a semi auto for self defense, even thou i am getting my glock and i know they work. It will be that ONE time i need it, that ONE time i need to draw to defend myself and all i will here is a click on my end, and a bang on their end. Any semi auto can jam for any number of reason and you have to clear it. So for my end i will stick with my .357mag. But as i said to each there own.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    And I would NEVER carry a revolver. I don't own one, I don't want one. Fired hundreds of rounds through my Glock, Sig, and Kel Tec. Zero problems. If I'm in a firefight, I'm getting off rounds fast. I don't want to have to worry about round count. I train to fight, and fight to win, and revolvers are not compatible with my training style.

I don't want to be in a fight where I can't afford to miss. Plus, all my autos tell me when to reload, by locking the slide back. With a revolver, either you have to count, or wait for it to click.

Not tryna be mean, Skunk. You carry your wheelgun, I'll carry a realgun.:D

DocSkunk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Kendallville
    its ok, each have their own opinion. we are each responsible for our own lives, so do what you feel is more comfortable. My wheel gun your semi. in the end they both punch a hole in the BG.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    its ok, each have their own opinion. we are each responsible for our own lives, so do what you feel is more comfortable. My wheel gun your semi. in the end they both punch a hole in the BG.

Right. No argument here. I like revolvers, just don't like them. If that's what you're more comfortable with, carry it. No need for childish insults. I'm glad not everyone is like that. So many times, you post something, then get your head bit off by someone because you didn't do it his way. Just like the OC CC debate. Do what you want, leave others alone for their opinions. Live and let live, right?

Carry and let carry?

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Revolver -

Pros:
    doesn't jam
    They most certainly do jam, and when they do a simple "tap, rack, bang" won't get them back into action. When a revolver goes down, they go down hard - so much so that you better have a back-up weapon as the malfunction is likely going to require time and tools to fix.

Top Bottom