• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    How is that? How is it possible that every one of them is fixed? If Republicans wanted to show they still have faith in their party, wouldn't results like these motivate them to participate in polls to alter the results in their favor?

Polls can easily be "fixed" based on demographic assumptions and the makeup of the survey. If an overwhelming number of a particular group are chosen, it can be predicted in advance - as well as guided by the composition of the poll questions - what the response will be. And participation in polling isn't determined by the poll-ees but by the poll-ers.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    It seems to me that, considering they've tried to repeal, de-fund, or amend the ACA 30+ times, this is the first time they've had something powerful enough to bargain with that they're kind of getting somewhere. However, it looks like all they're doing is losing popularity and potentially putting the global economy in danger by threatening to default. Remember, the last time default was even hinted at caused the US to lose it's AAA rating from S&P.

Yeah you're right. Let's keep kicking the can down the road and continue to put kids that haven't even been born yet in massive amounts of debt. Sounds like a brilliant plan.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Republicans own the shutdown.

Obama owns the absolutely horrendous software registration process for Obamacare.

Both groups should be shipped to the middle of the Atlantic and drowned.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    It seems to me that, considering they've tried to repeal, de-fund, or amend the ACA 30+ times, this is the first time they've had something powerful enough to bargain with that they're kind of getting somewhere. However, it looks like all they're doing is losing popularity and potentially putting the global economy in danger by threatening to default. Remember, the last time default was even hinted at caused the US to lose it's AAA rating from S&P.

You do realize, don't you, that it's the EXECUTIVE Branch which is determining the priorities for spending tax dollars. It's the Treasury Department which is saying they won't pay the interest on our national debt first. The rest of the world doesn't care what we do internally as long as their debt payments are continuing to be met; the President is threatening to not pay them, even though enough funds are coming in from taxes every month to pay the interest on the national debt tenfold. It's the President and the Senate Majority Leader who are holding the country hostage. I ask you to picture "Blazing Saddles" and the hostage scene there to get a more accurate view of what's going on. Oh, and John Boehner and the Republican-led House aren't the hostage-takers.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Polls - Surveys - Statistics? Who cares what they show.
    The Right is doing what needs to be done. (undone in this case)

At any cost - and if that means you don't approve, then so be it.

BTW - Terminology speaking -
    Right can mean - Correct, Good, Justifiable and Suitable.
    Left can mean - Weak, Sinister, Useless and Awkward.

Look it up or make a Poll or a Survey. :n00b:

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    George Washington warned us in his farewell speech we were going to have a problem. Then government grew and insulated itself and our elected officials forgot they are there to represent "We The People" and we worked and turned a blind eye to corruption and the developing monarchy. Many history lesson are repeating now since we haven't learned from history. Example - Hitler. If We The people don't take our country back like yesterday we may as well just become good little Europeans turn in our guns and all drive (The Car ) In German, Volkswagen is pronounced as "Folks-Vagen" which, not surprisingly (if you think of it as a "folks wagon") translates to "People's Car." I am not picking on The Germans just using this as an example, shoot Adolf almost got the job done. Who says the 9mm doesn't do a good job -para bellum'= ‘if you want peace, prepare for war’. Our once great country is overdue to either implode or enjoy an overdue revolution of sorts. Until our elected officials are held to the standards they should be We The people will continue on our downhill slide. If no one has noticed it's picking up speed. Here are the top 20 George warned us about. I shall now retire to the cave and remanufacture projectiles.

Be vigilant, people will seek to use the government for selfish ends.

Avoid overgrown military establishments; they are hostile to liberty.

Prevent all obstructions to the execution of the laws.

Control bureaucracies; make sure they all work together.

Avoid political parties; they will cause divisive factions and unscrupulous men will use them to undermine the government.

Give allegiance to the Constitution; improve it as necessary.

Do not alter the Constitution lightly, or based on hypothesis; apply the experience applied when it was created.

Be suspicious of administrators; they may serve themselves rather than the people.

Watch for consolidation of power in any department of government.

Preserve existing checks and balances and add more where power needs to be checked.

Religion and morality are essential to create the virtue necessary to preserve the union.

Promote widespread education; democracy requires literate citizens that understand the system of governance and take
    responsibility for themselves.

Avoid debt; and immediately discharge any debt created by war.

Taxes are unpleasant; government spending should be candidly conducted.

Cultivate peace and justice toward all nations.

Avoid alliances and maintain neutrality among nations.

Avoid dependency; a weak state that allies with a stronger state will become its servant.

Real patriots will resist intrigues, while dupes will surrender to interests.

In trade, give no nation a favored nation status.

Be guided by principles, not interests.

Bert will now Troll me. God love him my own Troll monitor. :thumbsup:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

Nope, sorry.
    The AAA rating was lost because the debt limit was raised.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_federal_government_credit-rating_downgrade

When the debt limit is raised again, the credit rating may go down again unless there is some real effort to reduce spending.

Remember, there has not been a spending cut since Obama's election; there have only been reductions in the planned increases.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Republicans own the shutdown.

Obama owns the absolutely horrendous software registration process for Obamacare.

Both groups should be shipped to the middle of the Atlantic and drowned.

I'd pay good money to watch that if they just left them all in a liferaft with only enough food for about 10 people.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    In November 2012, congressional approval was at less than 13%. We re-elected 91% of them anyway. We're going to do it again in 2014. Better than half of America is on the government tit. No one gives up their free stuff.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN

I think the Republicans have a few reasons for low poll numbers. #1, the media likes to blame them for everything because the media is largely made up of Democrats. #2, the 30+ votes to de-fund were BS votes that moderate Republicans used to make it appear they were actually attempting to de-fund it. They made no real effort and that upset a lot of Republicans.

There is no danger of default. That is total nonsense & lies pout out by Democrats & their propaganda arm, the media.

S&P was concerned with our spending & our fiscal house not being in order & no attempts by the administration to put it in order.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    I think the Republicans have a few reasons for low poll numbers. #1, the media likes to blame them for everything because the media is largely made up of Democrats. #2, the 30+ votes to de-fund were BS votes that moderate Republicans used to make it appear they were actually attempting to de-fund it. They made no real effort and that upset a lot of Republicans.

There is no danger of default. That is total nonsense & lies pout out by Democrats & their propaganda arm, the media.

S&P was concerned with our spending & our fiscal house not being in order & no attempts by the administration to put it in order.

Maybe you're right about the fiscal stuff, but this shutdown had nothing to do with "fiscal policy". It had everything to do with shutting down Obamacare, by any means necessary. Ted Cruz said this, McCain says this, most of the Tea Party Republicans say this...it was simply about Obamacare. Hell for a while the news even said that this was the first of two fights (Obamacare and then the Debt Ceiling) and some were wondering if there would be two shutdowns. Funny enough the shutdown has continued long enough that it's now merging into one issue and the Republicans put themselves in a real ****ty situation.

Regardless of what you or this forum thinks, the blame is now on the Republican party. They don't have enough clout for both the debt ceiling and Obamacare ANNND there's a Congress election period for several states coming up in November. Most of those are with traditional Red states, so I don't know if we'll see much change. However in 2014 there's a bigger election period and the fact of the matter is, not many people are liking the Republican party. The Republican party is also fighting among themselves and throat slitting is at an all time high over there.

The Republican party was stupid for taking on Obamacare this way and at this stage in the game. The Democrats literally only have to say "The Republicans came to the table with the threat that if we didn't defund Obamacare there'd be a shutdown." They called the Republican's bluff and no matter how much bawwing from conservatives there is, the Republican party has split with people like McCain blaming their own party and basically all of the Dems blaming the Republicans.

Ted Cruz is getting the blame from part of his party and the Democrats. He fought on an unpopular ideology, and while I'll give him props for that, it was a stupid move politically. I wonder what his party whips will do once this is all over and I strongly suspect that he'll never be a powerful Republican, at least for a couple of election cycles. Those of you on here who were thinking he'll be a likely candidate for President should save your vote...he'll not make it past the primaries so long as he remains in the Republican party. Then again I wonder if he won't jump to a new party within a couple of years.

Either way, the Republicans screwed the pooch on this deal and it doesn't matter what you or I or this forum thinks. The vast majority of the media, of the people, of the ones whose dollars count say this was bad news for the Republicans.

And personally I'm glad of it. I said in the beginning that telling the Democrats to defund Obamacare or you'll shutdown the government is not a negotiation and I honestly wasn't sure if the Democrats had the spine to call the bluff. They did and just like I thought, the Republican party has split and without party cohesion the entire party is gonna get crucified over this. It was just sad that it took a waste of a LOT of taxpayer money for the Republicans to begin to see that Obamacare is here to stay and there's not a damn thing they can do about it for quite a while. It was a stupid decision through and through.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Maybe you're right about the fiscal stuff, but this shutdown had nothing to do with "fiscal policy". It had everything to do with shutting down Obamacare, by any means necessary. Ted Cruz said this, McCain says this, most of the Tea Party Republicans say this...it was simply about Obamacare. Hell for a while the news even said that this was the first of two fights (Obamacare and then the Debt Ceiling) and some were wondering if there would be two shutdowns. Funny enough the shutdown has continued long enough that it's now merging into one issue and the Republicans put themselves in a real ****ty situation.

Regardless of what you or this forum thinks, the blame is now on the Republican party. They don't have enough clout for both the debt ceiling and Obamacare ANNND there's a Congress election period for several states coming up in November. Most of those are with traditional Red states, so I don't know if we'll see much change. However in 2014 there's a bigger election period and the fact of the matter is, not many people are liking the Republican party. The Republican party is also fighting among themselves and throat slitting is at an all time high over there.

The Republican party was stupid for taking on Obamacare this way and at this stage in the game. The Democrats literally only have to say "The Republicans came to the table with the threat that if we didn't defund Obamacare there'd be a shutdown." They called the Republican's bluff and no matter how much bawwing from conservatives there is, the Republican party has split with people like McCain blaming their own party and basically all of the Dems blaming the Republicans.

Ted Cruz is getting the blame from part of his party and the Democrats. He fought on an unpopular ideology, and while I'll give him props for that, it was a stupid move politically. I wonder what his party whips will do once this is all over and I strongly suspect that he'll never be a powerful Republican, at least for a couple of election cycles. Those of you on here who were thinking he'll be a likely candidate for President should save your vote...he'll not make it past the primaries so long as he remains in the Republican party. Then again I wonder if he won't jump to a new party within a couple of years.

Either way, the Republicans screwed the pooch on this deal and it doesn't matter what you or I or this forum thinks. The vast majority of the media, of the people, of the ones whose dollars count say this was bad news for the Republicans.

And personally I'm glad of it. I said in the beginning that telling the Democrats to defund Obamacare or you'll shutdown the government is not a negotiation and I honestly wasn't sure if the Democrats had the spine to call the bluff. They did and just like I thought, the Republican party has split and without party cohesion the entire party is gonna get crucified over this. It was just sad that it took a waste of a LOT of taxpayer money for the Republicans to begin to see that Obamacare is here to stay and there's not a damn thing they can do about it for quite a while. It was a stupid decision through and through.

I disagree. I am glad the Republicans shut 17% of the government down. I am done with moderate/liberal Republicans. I want absolutely no cohesion with McCain style Republicans.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Use google. Pay attention the Wall Street Journal...they have been writing about this topic for months.

Nearly Half of U.S. Lives in Household Receiving Government Benefit - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Another 14.5% lived in homes where someone was on Medicare (the health care program for the elderly). Nearly 16% lived in households receiving Social Security.

Doesn't this sort of invalidate a lot of the game? Medicare and Social Security are things that are generally considered "earned" and aren't considered handouts. Take out those numbers and your "nearly half" drops to something like 32-34%. And that's all from the article.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Maybe you're right about the fiscal stuff, but this shutdown had nothing to do with "fiscal policy". It had everything to do with shutting down Obamacare, by any means ............... Blah Blah ............. Blah ................ Blah Blah ............... Blah ............. Blah ................ Blah ............... Blah ............. Blah Blah ................ Blah ............... waste of a LOT of taxpayer money for the Republicans to begin to see that Obamacare is here to stay and there's not a damn thing they can do about it for quite a while. It was a stupid decision through and through.

I know, I know -
    America is a terrible place to live in.

I hear that Cuba has an opening available, if you're interested. :):

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    I disagree. I am glad the Republicans shut 17% of the government down. I am done with moderate/liberal Republicans. I want absolutely no cohesion with McCain style Republicans.

You're what's called an fringe-wing and your vote, thankfully, represents a minority of voters and unfortunately your incapability of toleration is what will cost you another election if your party doesn't get their **** straight.

I know, I know -
    America is a terrible place to live in.

I hear that Cuba has an opening available, if you're interested. :):

Not sure where I said that and I'm unsure of where you get off telling me to move to Cuba. Or is it your style to strip the rights of Americans who disagree with you? How very terrorist of you, continue spitting on the Constitution and the foundation of this nation. You'll forgive me if I think you're exactly the problem with America today.

Top Bottom