Report: No "Global Warming" for 325 Months...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The $2.2 billion Ivanpah solar station in California which uses a huge field of mirrors to concentrate energy and create electricity is failing in it's primary purpose, but is doing a bang-up job killing birds in the area. As a consequence (because of the lack of energy, not the bird cooking), the site may end up shutting down.

The environmentalist response? They are trying to shut down the only nuclear power plant in California, which produces about twice as much electricity as all of the solar in the state combined.

The Great Solar Epic Fail of All Time? | Power Line

Have you seen all the huge solar fields around the city.
    There is one on the west side that I believe helps power some of the Indy 500 grounds. It is at the north end of Livingstone and is "Acres" huge.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Who are the environmentalists trying to shut down nuclear? Surely most of them have the sense to realize nuclear is one of our best options at the moment.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Nope. Haven't seen them. But most solar is photovoltaic which directly produces electricity, so at least they don't cook birds.

I'm sure the Diablo Canyon nuclear site is paying plenty in taxes which has been redistributed to subsidize all of those solar sites.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    But, but, but... Chernobyl! Three Mile Island! We all gonna die! Or, grow two heads. Or something.

I have family that are as green as they get. Very anti-nuke. Actually, anti-everything that produces cheap (relatively) power. They want energy to be expensive, best I can figure.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There's a reason for governments to overstate pending climageddon. How can the Green Industrial Complex survive where there's no market? Crony capitalism. That's how.

I'm invoking Leadeye's axiom. The money. Follow it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    All those radionuclides can sit there in the ground decaying to nothing, or we can suck the energy out of them while they're doing it. Oh, and how much greenhouse gas is produced by a fission reactor, even if greenhouse gases were a real problem? Thinkin I'd rather have a truckload of spent rods after 5 years than the exhaust from untold trainloads of coal released into the atmosphere, anyway. Hey, we could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, if we put a wind farm next door to one of those solar thingies, chop the birds up with the turbine blades, then cook them with the mirrors. We could even have a little food farm there to grow the herbs and spices, maybe raise ducks and geese for the wind farm...

I do think a lot of the tree huggers have been programmed to hate the success of capitalism; they're really suicidal luddites that ultimately want our population of less than a million to sit around in caves banging rocks together.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I figure to let the market settle this. People with environmental sensitivities can buy their boutique electricity and pay the up charge if they want. Power companies can figure the generation costs for solar or wind and just pass them on to these folks and they can sleep well knowing they are doing something to help the polar bear on the ice cube. Myself I'll buy the regular electricity as it's less expensive and runs things just as well.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I figure to let the market settle this. People with environmental sensitivities can buy their boutique electricity and pay the up charge if they want. Power companies can figure the generation costs for solar or wind and just pass them on to these folks and they can sleep well knowing they are doing something to help the polar bear on the ice cube. Myself I'll buy the regular electricity as it's less expensive and runs things just as well.

:lmfao:

Good one Leadeye. You left out the "we want to control your life" faction. There isn't enough room for graft, corruption, and power politics if people simply bought and sold what they want with whom they want.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    . A massive boulder on a coastal ridge in North Eleuthera, the Bahamas. A new research paper claims it was most likely moved there by powerful storms during the last warm period of Earth history, 120,000 years ago, and warns that such stormy conditions could recur because of human emissions of greenhouse gases.

Soooo.... 120000 years ago...... there was a natural warming period.... But now..... Humans are the reason..... 10-4

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Soooo.... 120000 years ago...... there was a natural warming period.... But now..... Humans are the reason..... 10-4

...and never mind that greenhouse gasses LAG not LEAD the warming trend data throughout our history. Tail wagging the dog data-wise. Possible reasons? Oh...I don't know...there are more living things when the earth warms?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You guys have no idea how frustrating it is to "teach" online science courses that were designed by people who are true believers in the Church of Man-made Climate Change. No idea.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    You guys have no idea how frustrating it is to "teach" online science courses that were designed by people who are true believers in the Church of Man-made Climate Change. No idea.

Anyone with a kid attending public school hears ya Rhino my friend. My son graduates Rose in May, and I'm proud to say he is an independent thinker. He has learned to challenge anything presented as fact to align with the scientific process subject to strict scrutiny of the data. He has joined the ranks of free thinkers and now carries the banner well. Parents with kids in public school, don't let them dumb your kid down. Teach them the scientific process, how to design and execute good experiments that render meaningful data, how to analyze that data and draw conclusions that are defendable and true, and to fairly judge the work of others by the same process and standard.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Anyone with a kid attending public school hears ya Rhino my friend. My son graduates Rose in May, and I'm proud to say he is an independent thinker. He has learned to challenge anything presented as fact to align with the scientific process subject to strict scrutiny of the data. He has joined the ranks of free thinkers and now carries the banner well. Parents with kids in public school, don't let them dumb your kid down. Teach them the scientific process, how to design and execute good experiments that render meaningful data, how to analyze that data and draw conclusions that are defendable and true, and to fairly judge the work of others by the same process and standard.

You raised him well.

When I receive my quarterly reminder of my abject failure in life (i.e. the alumni magazine), I am sometimes appalled by the presence of True Believers among those who currently shepherd the flock at my alma mater. It's discouraging. I just hope they're a minority. Perhaps your son has insight?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

:yesway:

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    You raised him well.

When I receive my quarterly reminder of my abject failure in life (i.e. the alumni magazine), I am sometimes appalled by the presence of True Believers among those who currently shepherd the flock at my alma mater. It's discouraging. I just hope they're a minority. Perhaps your son has insight?

First thank you for the kind words. His accomplishments are his own and I applaud him for them. As for the minority...for now they are. The mag reflects the new leadership, doesn't bode well for the future. Since the change of leadership we've seen the campus become a "gun free zone" and the dismantling of a highly successful nationally ranked self sustaining rifle team. I'm afraid even with private engineering schools, institutions that are the bastions of truth and pragmatic scientific rigor, the cancer of feel-good rhetoric is metastasizing and pushing logic, reason and reality aside.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Top Bottom