• ...and so much more!
  • sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    That's ok, we'll light a match.

The closer to the source comments are based on the fact that the actor playing Reacher is closer to the author's description and to the general feel of the characters.

Some liberties we're still taken. The Frances Neagley character does not appear in the source book, she's introduced later in the series. The murder weapon in the book was a Ruger Mark II with a silencer.

The series was a pleasant entertainment. As far as the bad guys shooting, author John D. MacDonald would says the good guys were having a John Wayne day where everything was going right for them.

The Reacher books are entertainment. So much so that Lee Child has allowed Diane Capri to write a series of books about a couple of FBI agents trying to locate Reacher. I even thought it would be cool for Amazon to alternate series with the search for Reacher being one step behind all the time.
    I should note that I've probably watched too many movies and television shows. I'm more critical of anything I watch now more than I have ever been in my life. I'm ok with a little artistic liberty, it is entertainment after all. I just wish we could get a bit more effort in the writers room instead of the recycling that is rampant today.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I’m enjoying the show (I’m 4 episodes in) except for the whole 95 grain sub sonic 9mm ammo that the killer is using, that’s the thing that’s bothering me, how can you make a 95 grain 9mm sub sonic? What 1 grain of powder? Or a barrel about 900 feet long???
    Typical Hollywood writing... Pick out some buzzy sounding technical terms and pepper them into dialogue because a majority of the audience won't know the difference anyways.

These are the same hacks who write speeches for politicians (fully semi automatic??)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    More discussion here:

How many have read the books?

Watched the whole thing and enjoyed it.
    I have and was surprised that they did a pretty good job at bringing the book to life.

Last edited:

Texasgunner13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2016
    Evansville
    More discussion here:

How many have read the books?

Watched the whole thing and enjoyed it.
    I’ve really enjoyed most of the books. As is usually the case, books much better. Warning: don’t accidentally watch the Tom Cruise Version— what a joke!!

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    I watched and enjoyed it. I do wish people that wrote stories including firearms actually knew something about firearms... or at least researched it.

My main other complaint was GET AN OFF DUTY HOLSTER FOR GOD'S SAKE.

You would think the "gun wrangler" would have corrected them on bullet weights. A holster, and extra magazines! Roscoe knew if attacked on her protective detail it could be a multiple man team and yet she apparently only brought her one handgun and magazine. This is set in Georgia, she couldn't have stopped off at ANY gun store and walked out with an AR15, a dozen mags for both guns, and ammo?

Another thing I notice in this as well as a lot of series like NCIS, once a cop gets "home", the first thing they do is disarm themselves and put their handgun away somewhere. And the only gun they have is their issued weapon, maybe a small backup. Only knew of one cop who never bought a gun of his own, all the others I know have at least a small collection. Leaving their family home alone unarmed is not too common among cops.

Otherwise though it was a good effort. Apparently the author was exec producer and had a lot more control than he did on the movies. One of the reasons he retired as a writer and gave Reacher books to his Brother, to concentrate on the series and to otherwise just enjoy retirement.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I don't see a problem with 95gr subsonic 9mm ammo. You just load it down to 1000 fps and there it is. You would probably have to load it yourself since the lightest commercial 9mm subsonic I see is 115gr. I would not expect it to cycle some pistols at that load, even suppressed might or might not have problems.

It would end up being similar to 95 gr subsonic ammo for 380 or 9x18 Makarov, which are both commercially available.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Good grief, an awful lot of picking nits about a TV show. It's for entertainment, not real life accuracy! If you want accuracy watch a documentary and maybe it will be a little closer to reality.
    If you are comparing the show to the books, have at it!
    And yes I catch most of the weird/stupid/ridiculous stuff but after all, it's supposed to be entertainment!

Yes, details are important!
    Ok, I'm done. Back to the pickniter show!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If no one minds a post just about the books. Who else feels like the books just seemed a little different since Lee's brother Andrew started being part of the writing? They feel different to me anyway and not in a good way.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It's always that way. Robert Ludlum was one of my favorite writers. The Bourne trilogy is my top five. After he died, others took over. They somewhat followed the original, but you can tell the writer is different.

Vince Flynn is another example.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I started to sign up for the Amazon Prime so I could watch this. But Damn the hurdles.
    Somehow I ended up with a free trial prime when I ordered some stuff a couple days ago. So now I'm in on Reacher as well. I liked the first movie better than the second. This series seems to be pretty good.. just starting episode 2.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It's always that way. Robert Ludlum was one of my favorite writers. The Bourne trilogy is my top five. After he died, others took over. They somewhat followed the original, but you can tell the writer is different.

Vince Flynn is another example.

The Bourne movies were great, well, except for the Jeremy Renner one.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I would have liked the Bourne movies if they would have been named something else. They butchered the books.
    The books although great, were seriously dated.

The concept was similar, so I can live with giving Ludlum credit.

When the remade The Jackel the setting was different and expanded, but the story was identical.

Top Bottom