• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    OP if you like the motorcycles check out an ABATE class or MSF. You'll learn that bikes aren't really all that dangerous. In fact most accidents are avoidable. Classes are cheap, usually $40-$50 bucks. I know many folks who have ridden a lifetime without an accident of any type. The key is knowledge and practice!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I've been on a 1975 BMW since I got my MC endorsement (for sale, btw). This year I'm upgrading to a H-D Ultra Classic! We have a trip planned for Tennessee in June. First time I've been, but I hear it's amazing!

jeff1980

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Greenwood
    I just couldn't imagine not owning one. I started riding on the street at 17. Some summers, the bikes see more use than others but there has ALWAYS been at least one in the garage. I just couldn't imagine not being able to go for a ride when I felt the urge.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I have had several bikes over the years. I am just a casual rider, hitting bout 12,000 miles per year. My bike is in the garage, but is not garaged for the winter months, as I ride every month. My bike definately does not save me money, lol. In fact I lam ooking to trike it, bout another $10,000 accessory. :D.
    It definately does not sound like you are a "bike" guy, but no big deal. That just means I have a better chance of getting a good parking spot:rockwoot:

RspecZX6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Shelbyville, IN
    As my username suggests, I own an 89 Kawasaki Zx6.

I love motorcycles! I have yet to find anything more relaxing than a nice ride through the Indiana countryside.

Ive had a few of them over the years and I have tried to give them up to free up some funds, but I find it impossible.

They are not for everyone, but I really really dig my 2-wheel time.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edporch
    I bought my latest motorcycle in June of 2008 when gas hit $4 a gallon and there was no idea what it would rise to.

I have properties I manage in a town 110 miles to the North.

So I bought performance/touring bike that was big enough to travel with, but had fun performance.

My 2008 Yamaha FJR1300 will get 50+ miles per gallon if I take it EASY.

I save a lot of money on gas in the warmer months with it, and I keep from running up the miles on my car.

With gas on the way up again to even higher prices, I'm GLAD I have it.

If you drive a 50MPG motorcycle 10,000 miles per year versus 10,000 miles per year in a 25MPG car, you're only saving $800/year in fuel costs (at $4/gallon). If your motorcycle costs $10,000, it'll take 12.5 years and 125,000 miles just to recover the cost of the motorcycle (in terms of fuel dollars saved). If you maintain both a motorcycle and a car, the added insurance costs will extend that time out even farther. In other words, buying a motorcycle to supplement your car because it gets better gas mileage doesn't add up. It only makes sense if you get rid of the car completely.

Obviously, gas mileage isn't the only reason to buy a motorcycle, but you should at least be honest with yourself as to why you're buying it.

But I am being honest.

When you quote costs, you only tell PART of the story.

I'm old enough to remember the fuel shortages of the early 70's.

Often a station would only sell you so many gallons, or they'd do things like go by the last number in your license plate.
    Odd numbers one day, even numbers the next day.

So there's PRACTICAL VALUE in the CAPABILITY of being able to get better mileage that goes beyond just adding up numbers when gasoline is in short supply.

I remember people giving their eye teeth to buy a Datsun B210 which got 40 miles to the gallon and paying the premium it cost to buy it.
    I'm sure the MATH didn't add up on paper then either...

But when you're only given so many gallons, and you have a number of miles that you MUST drive...

And I'm saving money by my main car being able to last many more years because I'm driving it less miles in the warm months.

Last edited:

sinnful

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox
    I have had sport bikes for over 10 years now. Used to put on a few thousand miles a year. Now I am lucky to put on 200, but this one stays in the garage in case I get that urge to ride.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't know, either you love riding or you don't. I have loved riding ever since my Dad got a used Sears 106 in some kind of crazy trade. Over the years I didn't ride when my children were small and when I was about 45 I couldn't stand it any longer and got my Concours. It has gotten to the point where if a woman doesn't like guns and motorcycles it's a dealbreaker for me as both items will always be in my life.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Im a Motorcycle tech by trade.

I have alot of random thoughts about motorcycles every day.

Everything from :D to :xmad: and somtimes :n00b::dunno:.

But at the end of the day its always :rockwoot:

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    nothing in the world beats random thoughts ON my motorcycle for a few hundred miles on a sunny summer day :rockwoot::rockwoot:
    T_star and me do around 8-10k a year on the wide glide, love every minute of it!! :D

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    nothing in the world beats random thoughts ON my motorcycle for a few hundred miles on a sunny summer day :rockwoot:

Then there are the rides where you've got the same song stuck in your head for miles and miles and miles (including songs by the Who). ...is that just me, or does it happen to anyone else??? :dunno:

Had the bike out yesterday for the first ride of the year. :yesway:

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    If you drive a 50MPG motorcycle 10,000 miles per year versus 10,000 miles per year in a 25MPG car, you're only saving $800/year in fuel costs (at $4/gallon). If your motorcycle costs $10,000, it'll take 12.5 years and 125,000 miles just to recover the cost of the motorcycle (in terms of fuel dollars saved). If you maintain both a motorcycle and a car, the added insurance costs will extend that time out even farther. In other words, buying a motorcycle to supplement your car because it gets better gas mileage doesn't add up. It only makes sense if you get rid of the car completely.

Obviously, gas mileage isn't the only reason to buy a motorcycle, but you should at least be honest with yourself as to why you're buying it.

OR....you own the bike outright and have ALREADY recooped the price :)::laugh::rockwoot:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    OR....you own the bike outright and have ALREADY recooped the price :)::laugh::rockwoot:
    It doesn't matter if it was in the past or not. You still had to pay for it at some point and the math still applies. As I said, there are plenty of reasons to buy a bike and I'm not suggesting anyone shouldn't. I'm just saying "teh gas mileage!!!" is a poor reason if you haven't factored in all the costs.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Yup, had to get it out!

h-d.jpg

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Got mine out today. I washed and waxed it and took it for a spin. I love riding, but with a wife and 4 kids, I rarely get the time to ride like I would like to. My wife and I did get to do a road trip to Maine last year on it, which was really cool. I am selling it right now to put the money into other things. One day when the kids are older, I will definitely have one again. There really is nothing like enjoying the open road on two wheels.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Then there are the rides where you've got the same song stuck in your head for miles and miles and miles (including songs by the Who). ...is that just me, or does it happen to anyone else??? :dunno:
    . :yesway:
    I try to ignore some of the songs that play over my mp3 like Santana's "heads, Hands & feet" because next thing you know, I am rapidly exceeding the speed limit!:rockwoot:

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It doesn't matter if it was in the past or not. You still had to pay for it at some point and the math still applies. As I said, there are plenty of reasons to buy a bike and I'm not suggesting anyone shouldn't. I'm just saying "teh gas mileage!!!" is a poor reason if you haven't factored in all the costs.
    It's the intangible reasons to ride, the pure joy of riding that makes it worthwhile. The gas mileage is just a added gift. A saying that I've heard from time to time is, "Driving a car is like watching a movie, when you are riding, you are in the movie."

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ive been looking at motorcycles for this year even though I promised myself I wouldn't waste my money and time this year. I have my license and I just can't seem to get away from them.
    Cost too much money compared to the enjoyment you get out of them
    One more thing to get plated and pay insurance for
    The weekend comes around you're looking forward to riding and guess what-its raining :xmad:
    Better stuff to spend money on.
    My friends all have motorcycles and motorcycles are cool HOWEVER I just can't help but think that they are OVER RATED. Maybe its just not in my blood or maybe Im about to get flamed :D Thanks for reading my thoughts

Cycles are in my blood but timing, money, and circumstances have dictated whether I had a bike or not.

Fast? The fastest bike I have had was a Suzuki TL1000. (possibly the most awesome bike I have owned)

Cool? The coolest bike I have had was a 70's Harley Superglide.

Fun? My first bike was a Kawasaki 125.

After all of that I found myself wanting something to ride but not wanting to spend a lot. Two things in my psyche battle each other. I like the esthetics of something like a BMW R50 or a Harley. I also like low maintenance.

So I finally broke down and bought this for 4k. It is a 2006 with 4k on it and it is like driving an easy chair around town. I do not travel far, just take it out and putt around. I will probably have this for a long time as it fits me well and is easy to take care of and, even though it is a Harley wannabe Honda, it passes on looks.

img00170201108161918.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Had the bike out yesterday for the first ride of the year. :yesway:

Radar love, running with the pack....on and on and on. Hi-way songs my friend.

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I just love my '05 Honda VTX1300S. Only thing is my wife loves it even more. When it starts up she is there in no time. Not a bad $4000 scooter............

Top Bottom