• ...and so much more!
  • semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    2009-suzuki-hayabusa-1_460x0w.jpg

I want a Busa. Depending on how things go maybe next year.

hockey3236

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    as a bike owner since the day after high school grad 1969 june 3 u should never give up ur motorcycle endorsement. my hip was replaced in 1990 and kept mine and starte riding again in 2005 really enjoy being able to do it asgain

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I got my first bike in the mid 60s., and haven't been without one for any significant time since. I can't imagine being without one. I spent several years with a bike as my only transportation.(rain, snow, ice, subzero,100 degrees, whatever), and ran Enduro for several years. Yet, I don't ever remember even thinking about giving it up! I suppose I could die on my bike someday, but I can think of worse things to be doing when it's time to go. :dunno:

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    Some people, like me, just love it. It's a way of life. If your upset with the world, go for a ride you'll be smilin when you get home. (most likely). plus over 40 mpg on a nice ride is worth it. ( if your not sure , stick the the 4 wheels)

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I bought my latest motorcycle in June of 2008 when gas hit $4 a gallon and there was no idea what it would rise to.

I have properties I manage in a town 110 miles to the North.

So I bought performance/touring bike that was big enough to travel with, but had fun performance.

My 2008 Yamaha FJR1300 will get 50+ miles per gallon if I take it EASY.

I save a lot of money on gas in the warmer months with it, and I keep from running up the miles on my car.

With gas on the way up again to even higher prices, I'm GLAD I have it.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I bought my latest motorcycle in June of 2008 when gas hit $4 a gallon and there was no idea what it would rise to.

I have properties I manage in a town 110 miles to the North.

So I bought performance/touring bike that was big enough to travel with, but had fun performance.

My 2008 Yamaha FJR1300 will get 50+ miles per gallon if I take it EASY.

I save a lot of money on gas in the warmer months with it, and I keep from running up the miles on my car.

With gas on the way up again to even higher prices, I'm GLAD I have it.

If you drive a 50MPG motorcycle 10,000 miles per year versus 10,000 miles per year in a 25MPG car, you're only saving $800/year in fuel costs (at $4/gallon). If your motorcycle costs $10,000, it'll take 12.5 years and 125,000 miles just to recover the cost of the motorcycle (in terms of fuel dollars saved). If you maintain both a motorcycle and a car, the added insurance costs will extend that time out even farther. In other words, buying a motorcycle to supplement your car because it gets better gas mileage doesn't add up. It only makes sense if you get rid of the car completely.

Obviously, gas mileage isn't the only reason to buy a motorcycle, but you should at least be honest with yourself as to why you're buying it.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    If you drive a 50MPG motorcycle 10,000 miles per year versus 10,000 miles per year in a 25MPG car, you're only saving $800/year in fuel costs (at $4/gallon). If your motorcycle costs $10,000, it'll take 12.5 years and 125,000 miles just to recover the cost of the motorcycle (in terms of fuel dollars saved). If you maintain both a motorcycle and a car, the added insurance costs will extend that time out even farther. In other words, buying a motorcycle to supplement your car because it gets better gas mileage doesn't add up. It only makes sense if you get rid of the car completely.

Obviously, gas mileage isn't the only reason to buy a motorcycle, but you should at least be honest with yourself as to why you're buying it.

Have you ever considered that we don't want our bubble burst, Mr. Meanie pants with all your logic? :):

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby

It gets a little better when you start comparing $1000 to $2500 bikes, riding 15,000 - 20,000 miles/year, against a 15mpg truck... It gets worse again when you consider a $330 set of car tires last 60,000 miles, while a $330 set of motorcycle tires last 2,500-10,000 miles, and a $200 chain/sprockets set lasts 8,000-30,000 miles, etc. etc. etc... For me, gas has to be $2.10/gallon for it to even be cheaper to ride the bike than drive the car. This is on my $2400 '97 CBR1100XX that I got with 5k miles on it when it was close to 10 years old, and it now has 85,000 miles on it...

Having said that, I'd have a motorcycle, have the gear, be paying insurance, etc. anyway, so more miles is just more use and more money saved over those same miles in the cars or trucks, as long as prices are high.

To OP, though... What's all this "weekend" talk? Probably 85% of my miles are commuting (78 miles round trip)...

Mike

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It gets a little better when you start comparing $1000 to $2500 bikes, riding 15,000 - 20,000 miles/year, against a 15mpg truck... It gets worse again when you consider a $330 set of car tires last 60,000 miles, while a $330 set of motorcycle tires last 2,500-10,000 miles, and a $200 chain/sprockets set lasts 8,000-30,000 miles, etc. etc. etc... For me, gas has to be $2.10/gallon for it to even be cheaper to ride the bike than drive the car. This is on my $2400 '97 CBR1100XX that I got with 5k miles on it when it was close to 10 years old, and it now has 85,000 miles on it...

Having said that, I'd have a motorcycle, have the gear, be paying insurance, etc. anyway, so more miles is just more use and more money saved over those same miles in the cars or trucks, as long as prices are high.

I drive a LOT. All over the state, in fact. I went through this whole thing when I was trying to decide if it was cost-effective for me to replace my current vehicle with a hybrid. The improved gas mileage doesn't offset the inflated base cost of the vehicle over a non-hybrid. Most of the people I talk to just equate "Better gas mileage == Cheaper to operate" without taking everything else into account.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    I drive a LOT. All over the state, in fact. I went through this whole thing when I was trying to decide if it was cost-effective for me to replace my current vehicle with a hybrid. The improved gas mileage doesn't offset the inflated base cost of the vehicle over a non-hybrid. Most of the people I talk to just equate "Better gas mileage == Cheaper to operate" without taking everything else into account.

Exactly!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you need an in-town commuter, a good scooter or a 100 cc street bike will save you a lot of money, not just gas, but daily ownership costs. It works in Europe, but most places in America are not the environment for scooter/small bike use.

Their are a lot of people suffering from DWI problems that have learned to make due with mopeds. One local plant has a moped that has made 1000's of trips there. It changes owners about every 90 days. I guess that is the average suspended license time in local traffic court.

Top Bottom