• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbhockey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Guess I'm not the only track rat here. This past weekend was supposed to be my first weekend with WERA at Grattan, but there were some hang ups. Riding on track is great, when everything is going well its unlike anything else.

IMG_0024.jpg

And even when they don't it's still 100 times better than crashing on the street.
    IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    They are just to dangerous to drive in the city, all of my friends that ride one have had accidents

Everyone that I've ever met that has ridden a lot of miles over a good portion of their lives (quite a few 1% club members, Goldwing lazy boy types, and guys into sport bikes) have always told me that it isn't if you go down...it is when and what you learn from it. I've known some iron butt guys that have done over 100,000 miles on Goldwings and various Harleys. One thing in common, they've all went down. Most have been lucky enough to have it be a slower speed, fairly controlled impact.

OP if you like the motorcycles check out an ABATE class or MSF. You'll learn that bikes aren't really all that dangerous. In fact most accidents are avoidable. Classes are cheap, usually $40-$50 bucks. I know many folks who have ridden a lifetime without an accident of any type. The key is knowledge and practice!

I took my ABATE class 15 years ago and rode for 10 years with not even a scare nor a close call. Then one sunny afternoon, as I was stopped on a country highway to make a left hand turn, a young girl with LOTS of baggage in her system....liquor, coke, amphetamines, and marijuana. Well, she hit me at 55 mph...never even touched the brakes.

Long story short....9 operations later, and with a somewhat different body, I was forced to retire. MORAL OF THE STORY: All the knowledge and practice and classes and experience isn't gonna save you if it's your time. Especially with some of the freaks in cages out there.

Not trying to talk anybody out of riding. I know...it's a passion...Hell, it was MY passion. So go ahead...do what ya gotta do...ENJOY...just understand that you can't control the idiots out there :rolleyes:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I took my ABATE class 15 years ago and rode for 10 years with not even a scare nor a close call. Then one sunny afternoon, as I was stopped on a country highway to make a left hand turn, a young girl with LOTS of baggage in her system....liquor, coke, amphetamines, and marijuana. Well, she hit me at 55 mph...never even touched the brakes.

Long story short....9 operations later, and with a somewhat different body, I was forced to retire. MORAL OF THE STORY: All the knowledge and practice and classes and experience isn't gonna save you if it's your time. Especially with some of the freaks in cages out there.

Not trying to talk anybody out of riding. I know...it's a passion...Hell, it was MY passion. So go ahead...do what ya gotta do...ENJOY...just understand that you can't control the idiots out there :rolleyes:

Truth. One of the reasons I prefer the track. MUCH safer.

I've got a few souvenirs from street riding as well.
    plates.jpg

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of my bike. I have an 07 Ultra with 38k on it. I never rode more than a day ride before this last weekend and did several 5-600 mile rides. Took it down to Tulsa and had to run 5-10 mph under the speed limit as anything higher was beating me to death. The longer I ride, the more paranoid I get about others on the road and it's really starting to take the enjoyment out of it. That and I don't have the time to ride like I used to.

A. Ramon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    NE Indiana
    To the orginal OP, as others has mentioned, its either in you or its not. I truly love my VTX 1800. I put on 6-7k miles a yr. While it does cost for insurance, up keep, chrome, it is while worth I do believe. I put in jst over a $1k in her this winter, but it was well worth the time, energy, effort. I enjoy it enough that my wife is taking the Abate class to get her Endorsement. She already has her permit, but wanted to take the Abate to get a better feeling if she truly wants to be a Rider or Passenger.

I am on my 7th yr of riding and have not gone down yet, but I am not crazy enough to think that I won't ever go down. As an LEO I have worked enough MC accidents to knew the dangers of riding, whether its w/ or w/o a helmet.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    My two cents are: KLR 650....it will take you around the world and not let you down.
    I will try the same on the Ural. I dont have that much fath in her. My son and I will start on short trips and then build up from there.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of my bike. I have an 07 Ultra with 38k on it. I never rode more than a day ride before this last weekend and did several 5-600 mile rides. Took it down to Tulsa and had to run 5-10 mph under the speed limit as anything higher was beating me to death. The longer I ride, the more paranoid I get about others on the road and it's really starting to take the enjoyment out of it. That and I don't have the time to ride like I used to.

Yup I got one this year and already sold it. I think a lot of people(including me when I bought this last one) don't realize the actual cost of owning a bike. Maintenance insurance registration fuel. Plus the time to keep up on all those things with your regular vehicle and you have to store it. Just easier to have one vehicle and roll down all the windows if you want the wind in your hair; a lot safer too.

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Ouch!. I gues that you have recovered.

More or less. I still have nerve damage to my right arm that's pretty much permanent. Scary part is, those head/face injuries were WITH a full face helmet. Without it... imagine an overripe grape. :n00b:

Wasn't enough to teach me any kind of lesson though. I was back on 2-wheels as soon as possible after that. :D

One of these days, when I get a real job, I'll have another race bike too.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Then there are the rides where you've got the same song stuck in your head for miles and miles and miles (including songs by the Who). ...is that just me, or does it happen to anyone else??? :dunno:

Had the bike out yesterday for the first ride of the year. :yesway:

I rode to from FtW to Plymouth to buy a rifle from an INGO'er.

I don't know if it was the dreadfully cold and windy weather, but "Take a Chance" by Abba was in my head the whole way home. OH THE HORROR!!!

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    More or less. I still have nerve damage to my right arm that's pretty much permanent. Scary part is, those head/face injuries were WITH a full face helmet. Without it... imagine an overripe grape. :n00b:

Wasn't enough to teach me any kind of lesson though. I was back on 2-wheels as soon as possible after that. :D

One of these days, when I get a real job, I'll have another race bike too.

Glad you are doing okay. I have been hit twice. Once drug under a car, I walked away with a sprained ankle. The second time I was thrown into the middle of a putting green of a golf course. There were three firemen there who knew me. I heard the thing I least wanted to hear. They said "don't look at your leg" It turned out to be a cut.

Fortunately from where I live, I can be in the middle of a blacktop road in some cornfield in about 10 minutes. I get away from city traffic.

Stay safe.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Been on a few forums where some regs got killed riding.........leaving behind a bunch of little kids.

Unnecessary risk IMHO (bikes then for single guys or dads who have their kids grown).

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Fortunately from where I live, I can be in the middle of a blacktop road in some cornfield in about 10 minutes. I get away from city traffic.

Stay safe.

I've got a 2004 Road King. About 6K miles. Most were on trips out West. Putz around with it here lately. No way to justify other than both kids are early teens and I'll use it more when Dad's not cool anymore!

I do notice the "scares" are more frequent....the left turns in front of me.....people pull out in front of you, etc.

But I too ride in the country. But it's starting to worry me more and more as you sail along on a nice blacktop intersected every mile by roads obscured by cornfields. "What if" the person blows the intersection.

sampo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Owen County
    They are much cheaper on fuel! I rode mine last year back and forth to work last year only on the good days, and still logged 5,000 miles last summer, and saved hundreds on gas! love my Dyna Wide-Glide!! :rockwoot:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    They are much cheaper on fuel! I rode mine last year back and forth to work last year only on the good days, and still logged 5,000 miles last summer, and saved hundreds on gas! love my Dyna Wide-Glide!! :rockwoot:

By the time you factor in the high maintenance costs, insurance and plates, are you really saving? It costs me $230 to get a new rear tire installed that's good for 10k miles. That will put a 40k set of tires on a compact car.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Been on a few forums where some regs got killed riding.........leaving behind a bunch of little kids.

Unnecessary risk IMHO (bikes then for single guys or dads who have their kids grown).

Um, isn't walking out your front door every morning a risk?

Get busy living or get busy dying!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sampo

By the time you factor in the high maintenance costs, insurance and plates, are you really saving? It costs me $230 to get a new rear tire installed that's good for 10k miles. That will put a 40k set of tires on a compact car.

True.
    The costs don't add up that good when you run all the numbers.

BUT if we go through times again like times in the 1970's where gasoline is in limited availability, a motorcycle will then be of value gasoline wise.

This because you'll still have X miles to go and the motorcycle will stretch X gallons a lot farther.

BUT REALLY, the main thing is they are fun to ride!:D

Top Bottom