• DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That’s the alternative use. :shady:
    Very cool! He should post that in this thread! He repurposed a raccoon into a groundhog! Or wait, is it the other way around? :scratch:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I need to get my traps out, raccoons are getting out of hand again. As far as groundhogs, my dogs hate, no, LOATHE groundhogs, not sure why they seem to target them more than other creatures, but they do an excellent job of repurposing groundhogs into 300 piece groundhog puzzles.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Second day in a row for live trapping coons. Thought that the end was here then they started coming back. Now they probably have a scent trail.

Each one ended up with lead poisoning. I love the M&P22 with a can, although I have bent a couple parts of the cage this way.

Much rather that then have them inside the building with the dog proof trap as they tear up everything in the area.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Question: I am farm sitting for friends. They have a raccoon problem, namely that coons have invaded the hay loft and are leaving their droppings among the hay. If horse consumes this, it can give them a very serious illness (one of the owners happens to be my veterinarian).

The DNR site addresses trapping them and either transporting or euthanizing them.

As I am acting as an agent of the landowner here, am I allowed to just shoot them?
    Dispatch.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    One pile look like berries the other look like crickets
    The berries are n the woods or fence lines, crickets at the fish bait shop.

Live trap or foot hold. LT. make a cubby using a bale of hay to cover the trap, place against a wall along travel path. Make the whole thing look like a cave. Put some hay on the floor so he doesn’t walk on the wire. FH, a dirt hole set against a tall backing like a rock or log or tall clump of grass, put urin or lure on the backing. Off set the trap left or right for the appropriate critter.

I’m guessing I don’t have to tell you how to make a trap set, but at this time of year the food sources are endless. All you have to do is find the preferred food. That is the unknown, baiting in hard times (winter) is much easier. This time of year, you have to find the preferred food source. Best of luck.

Shooter5

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Indiana
    Second recommendation for the Duke's DP traps.
    The marshmallow bait is clean, doesn't stink and is irresistible. Overnight success is guaranteed if they're present.
    Screw 'em down in an open area, bait & set. $10-15 each and they're indestructible.

tri+coon.jpg

DP Coon Trap - THIS works 100%! If I bait it in the evening - before dark - I always have a raccoon in the trap in the morning. Then a .22LR round takes care of business

Our Best Selling Duke DP Coon Trap features a pull style trigger system designed to capture raccoons while avoiding non-target & domesticated animals. Baited with a marshmallow on the trigger, raccoons can’t resist triggering it. This trap is a Raccoon Catching Machine!

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    The berries are n the woods or fence lines, crickets at the fish bait shop.

Live trap or foot hold. LT. make a cubby using a bale of hay to cover the trap, place against a wall along travel path. Make the whole thing look like a cave. Put some hay on the floor so he doesn’t walk on the wire. FH, a dirt hole set against a tall backing like a rock or log or tall clump of grass, put urin or lure on the backing. Off set the trap left or right for the appropriate critter.

I’m guessing I don’t have to tell you how to make a trap set, but at this time of year the food sources are endless. All you have to do is find the preferred food. That is the unknown, baiting in hard times (winter) is much easier. This time of year, you have to find the preferred food source. Best of luck.

Been using marshmallows which works great at home. Not a thing here.

Top Bottom