• Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans

Iv’e known Keith Johnson

(https://ag.purdue.edu/directory/johnsonk)

for over 20 years, he was instrumental in my startup early years as a forage producer. I currently contract to produce horse hay for two summer camps for children one from a church and one through Area 4, both are happy return customers.

There is no better livestock forage expert this side of the Mississippi River. He is one of the world’s leading forage experts. I think I’ll stick with his assessments.

Not arguing, it just my opinion. It appears that possum poo not raccoon poo is the primary transmitter of EPM.

Can EPM be transmitted directly from horse to horse, or is it always through the opossum?​

According to the provided information, EPM is caused by the protozoan parasites Sarcocystis neurona and Neospora hughesi, which are found in the opossum. Horses become infected by ingesting food or water contaminated with opossum feces. In <1% of cases, the sporocysts ingested by a horse migrate from the intestinal tract into the bloodstream and cross the blood/brain barrier, causing disease by attacking the horse’s central nervous system.
    S. neurona cannot be transmitted from one horse to another. A few cases of EPM are associated with N. hughesi, another protozoal parasite.
    Therefore, based on the provided information, it can be concluded that EPM is not transmitted directly from horse to horse, but rather through the opossum, which is the definitive host of S. neurona.

• The definitive host for S. neurona is the opossum, and horses become infected when they ingest feed or water contaminated with opossum feces.
    • An estimated 50-90% of horses in the U.S. have been exposed to the organism, but only a small percentage (typically <1%) develop EPM.
    • Opossums: According to the search results, opossums are considered to be the primary carriers of EPM. They are intermediate hosts for the Sarcocystis neurona protozoa, which causes EPM in horses.
    • Raccoons: Raccoons are also mentioned as carriers of EPM, although they are less likely to be exposed to the organism and act as intermediate hosts compared to opossums.
    • Skunks: Skunks are mentioned as carriers of EPM, but it is not clear if they are primary or secondary carriers.

• Opossums: According to the search results, opossums are considered to be the primary carriers of EPM. They are intermediate hosts for the Sarcocystis neurona protozoa, which causes EPM in horses.
    • Raccoons: Raccoons are also mentioned as carriers of EPM, although they are less likely to be exposed to the organism and act as intermediate hosts compared to opossums.
    • Skunks: Skunks are mentioned as carriers of EPM, but it is not clear if they are primary or secondary carriers.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    <<< hat, knife and sidearm on a bale of hay.

I just completed my first put up for the year. 264 large rounds. My cattle feed. The majority of second and third cutting will go up as small squares, for customers and clients. I use 4 barns, yes we have coons, mice, snakes, possums, skunks, cats, groundhogs, fox, coyotes, mink, birds, ya I’ve had infestation. We do the best we can to keep the problems to a minimum.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    <<< hat, knife and sidearm on a bale of hay.

I just completed my first put up for the year. 264 large rounds. My cattle feed. The majority of second and third cutting will go up as small squares, for customers and clients. I use 4 barns, yes we have coons, mice, snakes, possums, skunks, cats, groundhogs, fox, coyotes, mink, birds, ya I’ve had infestation. We do the best we can to keep the problems to a minimum.
    I doubt anyone knows better than @Mij when it comes to critter control...

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I doubt anyone knows better than @Mij when it comes to critter control...
    There are quite a few actually.

Some forage producers here contract for the large dairy farm near me. It’s a very large dairy farm, tourist attraction. Farmers can make more money growing forage than they make on row crops.

Critter control is just part of the equation.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I had a coyote problem got a donkey now I have got 5 coon in the last 2 weeks, had not seen one in almost a year when the yotes were coming around. If I did not have cats and foals the yotes would not have started coming around the barns. I have some years sat in my truck, opened the door to the hay barn and got 6-7 a night for a few weeks then they slowed till none for a few weeks then the yotes moved in then there were none for several years.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    the actual code says you may " take ' raccoon with land owner permission, it does not specify trapping. it does say you must release or kill within 24 hrs .

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I bought the house I'm working on now 3 years ago without realizing it was/is infested with raccoons and groundhogs. They've destroyed an out building. The previous owner asked if they could store an old truck in it and I allowed it but since then the dirt floor has caved and swallowed part of the truck. The raccoons tore holes in everything and left huge piles of crap everywhere. It's been a real pita. The wrangler and some 220 conibears have been putting in some work. I'm going to buy some dog proof traps to try out.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I bought the house I'm working on now 3 years ago without realizing it was/is infested with raccoons and groundhogs. They've destroyed an out building. The previous owner asked if they could store an old truck in it and I allowed it but since then the dirt floor has caved and swallowed part of the truck. The raccoons tore holes in everything and left huge piles of crap everywhere. It's been a real pita. The wrangler and some 220 conibears have been putting in some work. I'm going to buy some dog proof traps to try out.
    The DP traps and a little dry cat food are fabulous for coons. Plus you don't end up dinging the cage when you dispatch them.

We had a horse nearly break its leg because of a groundhog tunnel in the stall.

I hate them both and am still getting one about every week at my storage house.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    The DP traps and a little dry cat food are fabulous for coons. Plus you don't end up dinging the cage when you dispatch them.

We had a horse nearly break its leg because of a groundhog tunnel in the stall.

I hate them both and am still getting one about every week at my storage house.
    I went to runnings and picked up a few more traps. I now have 220 conibears, #2 coil spring footholds and DPs set. My uncle only used mini marshmallows and fish oil for coon lure and bait so I threw some mini marshmallows in the DPs. No lure or bait for the conibears or coil springs since I've been having really good luck setting up on the burrow openings and beaten trails. My 4yo son just came running up to me and yelled "get your gun boy I saw a raccoon" lol.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Top Bottom