• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    As I appear to be on solid ground here, (private venue with the owner's blessing) I can say that I got three of them last night with an old Browning Challenger .22 when they came up on the deck to help themselves to cat food. They ended up out on a wooded part of the property where the scavenger population should be sufficient to deal with them. And the better half is coming out to visit me with a can of wet cat food considerably more stinky than the dry stuff that attracted them so far. So I feel confident my tally will increase.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Feral cats tend to have short disease ridden lives that usually come to a very violent end.
    I can't think of what good they do in urban environments other than stink up the town.
    Since my feral cat colony disappeared, the rabbits, voles and chipmunk numbers are all way up. Those all, especially the rabbits, do a lot of damage to my vegetable garden.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    For the sake of discussion I’m assuming small square bales. Bales that can be handled by hand, tied with string or wire.

If their are coons in the barn, their is coon poo, bird poo, coyote, fox, skunk, possum, dog, deer poo already in the bales. Just not visible. Think about all of the wild life that lives in the hay fields. Rabbit, coon, mice, birds, moles, voles. Not to mention the wind born plastics, bottles, paper scraps, tin cans. They leave their deposits and their babies in the field, the mower comes through and chops them up. Then the hay rake comes through and wind rows the stuff and then the baler compacts it all into a bale. If your concern is the health of the animals, use your gloved hand and brush off the offending mess, pop the string and feed the critters.

Now as for the offending coons, the local authorities are your best bet for attending to the wildlife that may be creating you’re visual discomfort.

In all honesty the biggest problem you may find is mold if the hay was not put up properly. Mold can cause a verity of health problems in any livestock. Just my thoughts on the subject, and good luck with dealing with the problem.
    Your use of the word 'their" made my eye twitch. You used it correctly and incorrectly in one post.

Their is the possessive pronoun that means “belonging to them,” as in "their car is red";
    there is used to name a specific place or location as in "get away from there" and "stop right there";
    they're is a contraction of "they are," as in "they're getting married."

original.png

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Your use of the word 'their" made my eye twitch. You used it correctly and incorrectly in one post.

Their is the possessive pronoun that means “belonging to them,” as in "their car is red";
    there is used to name a specific place or location as in "get away from there" and "stop right there";
    they're is a contraction of "they are," as in "they're getting married."

View attachment 361180
    So is that ”your” thing? Reading threads and correcting grammar n spelling errors? And nothing about the subject at hand?

Axing four a fiend.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Feral cats tend to have short disease ridden lives that usually come to a very violent end.
    I can't think of what good they do in urban environments other than stink up the town.
    Here in the GSF, they are dinner unless very quick. Coyotes and raptors of various types, assuming the ticks don't drain them dry.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Second recommendation for the Duke's DP traps.
    The marshmallow bait is clean, doesn't stink and is irresistible. Overnight success is guaranteed if they're present.
    Screw 'em down in an open area, bait & set. $10-15 each and they're indestructible.

tri+coon.jpg

DP Coon Trap

Our Best Selling Duke DP Coon Trap features a pull style trigger system designed to capture raccoons while avoiding non-target & domesticated animals. Baited with a marshmallow on the trigger, raccoons can’t resist triggering it. This trap is a Raccoon Catching Machine!
    I've worn out one, working on my second. 40 coons one summer. 11 so far this year. Well, next Tuesday night will make 11. Wife says he was in the summer apple tree this week.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We had a big one get into our chicken run a few years ago on a regular basis. Chickens are locked up in the coop at night, so they were safe, but the chicken feed wasn't. Back then the run was covered with bird netting, which the raccoons didn't respect. Found one in the run one night but I didn't have any "control measures" with me, and it was trying to get back through the netting to escape. While it was struggling, I did the only thing I could think of to discourage it - I punched it. Several times.

Didn't succeed in discouraging it, but it did create this:

"I punched a raccoon and I liked it."

Last edited:

I Love Bourbon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Speedway ish
    I agree with the dog-proof traps, be prepared to dispatch them quickly as they'll make a lot of noise and trash everything they can reach.
    I have a friend who lives in town with a small yard, he's put down 108 coons in the last 5 ish years, in a very very small yard. Have-a-heart type traps will work but coons are smart and learn to move in and out of them without tripping the trap door, seen it on video many times.

Remember to switch up your bait, like everything else they get bored with the same thing. Small marshmallows work well, cat food, they are also attracted to cat-nip, a long with most sweet treats, leftover chicken bones work well but if they're in a cage trap wire them in place so they have to work to try and remove them. Old style leg traps aren't very effective in his opinion, although once in a while ya get lucky, see pic. LoL

The instances of rabies infections is climbing, don't feel bad about putting them down, they're proficient reproducers and they will quickly over run your property if allowed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240623-193115.png
      Screenshot_20240623-193115.png
      1.7 MB · Views: 20

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I have a problem with chain traps. Don't make them suffer. Either invest in live traps and kill them or don't trap.

I'm not often a humanitarian but I don't believe in live chain snap traps.

I have NO problem with shooting them on sight though. Stop watching Survivor and settle in for a few hours. It's better for your brain.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have a problem with chain traps. Don't make them suffer. Either invest in live traps and kill them or don't trap.

I have NO problem with shooting them on sight though. Stop watching Survivor and settle in for a few hours. It's better for your brain.
    Thats why I use Conibear traps if I want them dead. If not its a live trap and then I make a decision on living or never never land.
    Oh, does your wife do the candle mail order thing?

I Love Bourbon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Speedway ish

You have an absolute right to your opinion, and mostly I agree with you. After thousands of dollars in damages when they claw their way into your home, you tend to lose a bit of sympathy. I prefer a quick clean kill but unfortunately it's not always that easy.

Top Bottom