• ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Wow. Not sure where to start this. Some have posted about 'needing' a drink after a stressful event of some type. I drink alcoholic beverages from time to time... because I like them. JW Blue is a gift from the heavens. Most dark/smoke beers are delightful sensory experience. As someone who has had a string of addiction/abuse problems, the word 'need' bothers me. I do enjoy a drink from time to time. I almost never have a second drink. If I can say, even to myself, "Man, I really NEED a drink..." for whatever reason, it is time for another long run of abstinence. About 40 years ago, my life went through a major upheaval, none of it good. I didn't have a drink for about 6 years. Not because I didn't want one, but because I REFUSE to NEED one. Been there, done that. Needing a drink, as you'd expect, once led me to drink. One led to another, to another, to ano... you get the picture. The booze made me numb, and numb was better than pain (physical, emotional, mental). Once you get so numb, you don't feel anything, just the need to stay numb. That is not a way to live. I refuse to go back there. My wife is instrumental in keeping me off... everything. If I mess up, she will leave me. I have no doubt of that. I can still enjoy a good drink now and again. I will never again succumb to the idea that I NEED a drink. If you really mean 'need' perhaps you should ponder what that actually means.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    SWMBO grew up in an alcoholic household, as did my father. She eyes me with concern and suspicion whenever I have a drink (about once a week). Our children know that any genetic component of alcoholism they likely inherited, and will always have to be extra careful. The damage done to SWMBO growing up is very tenacious and may never be healed this side of life.

People who maintain their sobriety have my respect. "A man's got to know his limitations."

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Little bit different take than the norm; people look at me funny sometimes when I tell them I stopped drinking when I was 17. My classmates got a rip roaring start at a 5th grade birthday party. (Many had older siblings and already were in the scene). The circle I was in was consistently getting drunk many weekends in junior high, most all weekends through high school.
    I stopped when I got saved, didn’t know it was a problem but I guess He did. Pretty glad for it though in the long run.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

When I get his age I will adopt the same plan.

Man announces he will quit drinking by 2050​

Taylor will also be able to bring forward drinking credits earned from the days he hasn’t drunk over the past forty years, meaning the actual end date for consumption may actually be 2060.

To assist with the transition, Taylor has bought a second beer fridge which he describes as the ‘capture and storage’ method.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    1678513948073.png

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    View attachment 261665

Thanks, I try to mold my life around the dating habits of gen-z and millennials.

Joshnbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Indianapolis
    One of my best friends introduced me into the art of drinking years ago. We would get together and suck down some beers. That eventually turned into a pony keg. That eventually turned into me drinking without him quite regularly.

Unfortunately that developed a habit for me. I drink while cooking, playing video games with friends and/or a couple beers after a long days work.

I don't really hangout with that friend much anymore but the habit spiraled a grew.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sober by any means and I'm not sure that I intend to be so. But I have cut down considerably. Down 30ish pounds in less than 3 months.

Good luck to all of you trying to get there and congrats to those of you that kicked the habit.

Smokeless tobacco next.......*sigh another day*

Edit: 16 oz beer number six was getting warm. Had to finish that

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    One of my best friends introduced me into the art of drinking years ago. We would get together and suck down some beers. That eventually turned into a pony keg. That eventually turned into me drinking without him quite regularly.

Unfortunately that developed a habit for me. I drink while cooking, playing video games with friends and/or a couple beers after a long days work.

I don't really hangout with that friend much anymore but the habit spiraled a grew.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sober by any means and I'm not sure that I intend to be so. But I have cut down considerably. Down 30ish pounds in less than 3 months.

Good luck to all of you trying to get there and congrats to those of you that kicked the habit.

Smokeless tobacco next.......*sigh another day*

Edit: 16 oz beer number six was getting warm. Had to finish that

Yep, part of being an adult is realizing stuff like that and acting on it (unfortunately at times). I drink on occasion, but try to keep beer to a minimum as it adds to the waistline. When I was drinking a beer every night with dinner, it racked up the pounds and I went up a waist size. Now I only drink a beer or two a week, at most and I'm back down to what I was at previously.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I recently discovered that Coca-Cola company makes caffeine free Coke Zero. If you can find it. Now I have something to mix my Bourbon with that won't keep me up half the night.

I'm actually enjoying one right now. And it is delicious.

Top Bottom