• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Heard it all before... Just say no! Reefer Madness!

I would be willing to bet it all that each and every person who has ever used illicit drugs, alcohol, tobacco, or even huffed Right Guard, started out, early in life, by drinking milk. Ban milk. Save us all. From everything.
    As a family that goes through at least two gallons a week, if you get milk banned my children will be hunting for you!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm getting there. I'm going nuts, but I'm getting there.
    Two weeks. Just tell yourself to hang in there. The physical addiction to nicotine is about two weeks. It’s just about kicking habits after that. Avoiding situations where you used to smoke is hard, but it helps. Walking past the smoke shack where I used to work was hard.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Two weeks. Just tell yourself to hang in there. The physical addiction to nicotine is about two weeks. It’s just about kicking habits after that. Avoiding situations where you used to smoke is hard, but it helps. Walking past the smoke shack where I used to work was hard.
    Using the patch. Really helps. No smokes today or yesterday. Tomorrow is a new day.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    We let alcohol use get out of control so that it almost destroyed our lives and finally quit. Since it's good for us, you should quit too since obviously no one can handle just drinking a little... :rolleyes:

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    We let alcohol use get out of control so that it almost destroyed our lives and finally quit. Since it's good for us, you should quit too since obviously no one can handle just drinking a little... :rolleyes:
    I’m sober never in a million years would I push being sober onto others I am JEALOUS of those that can drink in moderation. However…………. I appreciate when people make it known there is an alternative to drinking. Because if you only watch main stream tv / commercials etc you would believe that everyone drinks, and I think that is as much (or more) of a problem as people pushing being sober. Pushing being sober would cause people to be bored or whatever…. Pushing drinking causes many more issues. People don’t die of sobriety the same cannot be said for alcoholism.

Again I am not one to push the issue but the topic is being discussed and what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Cannot accept alcoholic messaging while condemning sobriety messaging.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I’m sober never in a million years would I push being sober onto others I am JEALOUS of those that can drink in moderation. However…………. I appreciate when people make it known there is an alternative to drinking. Because if you only watch main stream tv / commercials etc you would believe that everyone drinks, and I think that is as much (or more) of a problem as people pushing being sober. Pushing being sober would cause people to be bored or whatever…. Pushing drinking causes many more issues. People don’t die of sobriety the same cannot be said for alcoholism.

Again I am not one to push the issue but the topic is being discussed and what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Cannot accept alcoholic messaging while condemning sobriety messaging.

Agreed. My feeling is that everything possible should be done in moderation, but that went out the window with personal accountability.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I can count the number of times I have consumed alcohol on 2 hands, maybe 1; never kept track. It's been almost 5 years since the last time. Pretty much only toasts on special occasions, so only wine of champagne. I've never had a beer. I have no moral position against drinking and never had a problem hanging out with friends who drink...while they were drinking. For pete's sake, I'm a lawyer and if that were an issue, I would never hang out with my partners.

I do find it pretty funny that many, many people have made the assumption over the years that I am either: 1) a Mormon or 2) recovering. I'm thinking 20+ times.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I can count the number of times I have consumed alcohol on 2 hands, maybe 1; never kept track. It's been almost 5 years since the last time. Pretty much only toasts on special occasions, so only wine of champagne. I've never had a beer. I have no moral position against drinking and never had a problem hanging out with friends who drink...while they were drinking. For pete's sake, I'm a lawyer and if that were an issue, I would never hang out with my partners.

I do find it pretty funny that many, many people have made the assumption over the years that I am either: 1) a Mormon or 2) recovering. I'm thinking 20+ times.

Peer pressure is quite the issue. There's something wrong with you, because you don't ingest chemicals to adjust your mindset, like ALL of the rest of us do. :n00b:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Is it the mental difference between "I'm having a glass of wine/beer/bourbon because it tastes good." or "I need a drink to feel better."? I've never felt like I needed to have a "drink" but I do like my red wines, bourbons & whiskies though I rarely have more than one. I do hear from others on a regular basis that they need a "drink" because they had such a hard day. Even on my hardest days I don't think I've ever thought that alcohol would make me feel better.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I run the sound system for a group called Celebrate Recovery for people recovering from not only substance abuse but physical and mental issues. It is amazing how alcohol can affect some people to destroy their lives yet others can have a drink or two and walk away with no problem.

I highly recommend Celebrate Recovery for anyone suffering from hurts, hangups or addictions. Warning, it is a Christian based organization but what is wrong with asking God for help?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Alcohol, to me, can be relaxing and can relieve stress, so in that regard I can see wanting a drink after a stressful day. I'd rather go to the range for gun powder therapy, but a nice drink, especially with friends after something stressful is nice. I know I'm looking forward to dinner and beers with a buddy of mine tomorrow night. My GF left me and hashing it out with my buddy over drinks and dinner will be relaxing and stress relieving.

I think you're right about the attitude though. If you have to have a drink, that's a problem. There's a difference between needing a drink and just wanting one but you're fine either way.

I run the sound system for a group called Celebrate Recovery for people recovering from not only substance abuse but physical and mental issues. It is amazing how alcohol can affect some people to destroy their lives yet others can have a drink or two and walk away with no problem.

I highly recommend Celebrate Recovery for anyone suffering from hurts, hangups or addictions. Warning, it is a Christian based organization but what is wrong with asking God for help?

It's not the alcohol, or drug, it's the person. It's amazing to me how different each of us really is. Some people can have one hit of a drug or one beer and be hooked for life and other people can successfully just use randomly. Same with other things too. People get addicted to all sorts of things, gambling, sex, etc. Just shows that genetics and chemistry plays an important role, as well as the psychological aspects.

Top Bottom