• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My step son is just now starting his road to recovery. His mom and I knew he drank some but we didn’t know he had a problem until we got the phone call he was in the hospital a few days ago. Sometimes, whether it’s over eating, drugs, or alcohol, we don’t face up to the fact we have a problem with whatever it is until we hit a bottom. The lucky ones hit that bottom before it’s too late. For the unfortunate ones, they don’t hit their bottom until it kills them.

God bless all of y’all that have been able to shake this. It’s a tough one.

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    Drinking is the social lubricant. Makes certain events and times in our life more enjoyable, for those who can handle it. Millions of people down through the ages have had alcohol and have done so responsibly. Of course the flip side is just as many can't do that. Personal accountability and discipline are part of this. I go out and have a drink and it's going to be a one or two drink limit 90% of the time. On a rare occasion I'll allow myself more but have a designated driver, or Uber or something so that I don't drive afterwards. If you have, or want, to give up alcohol, I applaud you. If you want to keep drinking on occasion, know your limits and don't hurt anyone, keep on keepin on. There will always be people for and against alcohol, but I liken this to legal gun owners. There are plenty who can own guns responsibly and cause no harm to society or their fellow man and then there are those who can't. Do we think it's a good idea to disarm everyone because of those who can't act responsibly? :dunno:
    Well said!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just poured me an Old Forester 1897 Bottled in Bond Bourbon and water to sip as halftime of the IU/Purdue game approaches.

Each person needs to decide for their self if drinking alcoholic beverages gets them in trouble or not.
    And if it does, be wise enough to quit.
    (I've known some who've made the choice to quit)

I don't drink or party anywhere near as much as I did when I was younger.
    But have ALWAYS been a "happy" drinker, never gotten "red" when I drink (and avoid people who do), or had it interfere with my life.
    SO I see no reason to quit in my case.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Heard it all before... Just say no! Reefer Madness!

I would be willing to bet it all that each and every person who has ever used illicit drugs, alcohol, tobacco, or even huffed Right Guard, started out, early in life, by drinking milk. Ban milk. Save us all. From everything.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Gave up heavy drinking about two years ago. Was getting to be a habit. I just recently stopped completely because I'm trying to quit smoking. When I have a drink, I smoke like a chimney.
    Hang tough with the smoking. Remember, of all the cigarettes in the world, there is only ONE you can never smoke: the next one.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm getting there. I'm going nuts, but I'm getting there.
    I've been using Chantix and I haven't stopped yet, but I've gone from about 2 1/2 packs a day down to less than a pack a day, so I'm making progress. Trying to break some habits like always lighting up as soon as I get in the car. I leave my cigarettes at home now when I go to the store, etc.. Working from home it's just so easy to sit and smoke one after the other. It takes conscious effort to break that one.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I've been using Chantix and I haven't stopped yet, but I've gone from about 2 1/2 packs a day down to less than a pack a day, so I'm making progress. Trying to break some habits like always lighting up as soon as I get in the car. I leave my cigarettes at home now when I go to the store, etc.. Working from home it's just so easy to sit and smoke one after the other. It takes conscious effort to break that one.
    You gotta do better!

Beer-Chronicle-Houston-Craft-Beer-new-republic-brewing-dammit-jim-amber-can.jpg

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Tie a knot and hang tough.
    I was a 3 pack a dayer 15 + or - years ago.
    I finely told my brain no more cigarettes.
    I didnt cheat that time, after a few years I even stopped fishing in my pocket for the Zippo.
    You can do it!!!!!
    Weaned myself from a pack a day for 40 years to five smokes a day, to four. Smoked my last Camel on the 31st. Bummed a couple since just to hold them and fidget. One I smoked (nasty). The other I tossed cause it got soggy. Lol. I'm eating for two now.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I'm getting there. I'm going nuts, but I'm getting there.
    Maybe this will help. I quit smoking on 1/13/1986. On 12/31/2018 I had a heart attack while out walking the dogs. On 1/1/2019, my cardiologist told me that I would never have survived the heart attack if I'd still been smoking. I am a registered nurse; my job is cardiovascular recovery. I've seen, up close and personal, what cigarettes can do. If you don't quit this time, try again next week. I bet I quit 40 times. So far, the last 'quit' is holding. Best wishes to you and yours.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Chantix turned me psycho. Wife made me stop. It worked but I could have done bad things taking it. Oh, and the dreams! OMG!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    For all the evil that the media says about vapes, my Dad, who smoked for like 50 years only managed to give up by using a vape. Used it and reduced the nicotine level down until he weaned himself off till he finally just got down to occasionally taking nicotine tablets. He hasn't smoked for 5 years or better, which is the longest he's ever given it up. For some people it's a way to quit when everything else fails.

Top Bottom