• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHAWK1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok. I've talked to a moderator, and this thread is acceptable. Without bringing any Specifics up.

Do you carry at church? If so do you OC or CC?
    As for me I never used to until yesterday I noticed another member OCing. And that got me wondering. "Is it even legal to carry at church"?

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    It's legal to carry in church as long as there's not a school also in the church. (No carry in schools.)
    Yes I carry to church CC. (Most people at church know I carry though.)

Cigar Bob

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Yes I carry at church along with 3 other members. We are a security team at my church with 10 guys on our team the other six do not wish to carry a weapon and we do not force them to. As far as OC spray we do not ,we have talked about it but have not reached an agreement on that subject. We have looked at carring batons with the proper training. We have checked with the church insurance company and have gotten the ok. We all did take a firearms traing class also. Hope this helps. I do not have all the answers. Only people know we carry is a need to know not all members of my church know I carry a gun they do not need to know that information I feel some members would be scared off.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I carry at church. My normal philosophy is that I carry the weapon in the same location every day, whether or not my clothing conceals it. Church is my one exception. I will always conceal in church so as not to interfere with anyone else's worship.

Cigar Bob

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    This is a great topic of talk there is a web site called church security allience that has great information and stats on church violence and how every church should have a church security team in place. We are also first aid and cpr certified we also check fire entinguishers and emergency lightings and are in the process of installing viedo cameras through out the church, we have two guys who rotate every sunday and walk inside and out we lock and unlock doors we are there to keep the people and property safe. We have only had a few problems but the members like us being around they do feel safe.

JHAWK1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Our church doesn't have a security team that I am aware of. We have recently installed a dvr due to burglarys in other churches. Does a preschool count a a school? We don't have a school but we do have daycare/preschool.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Our church doesn't have a security team that I am aware of. We have recently installed a dvr due to burglarys in other churches. Does a preschool count a a school? We don't have a school but we do have daycare/preschool.

Licensed daycares and preschools are also off limits according to the Indiana Code.

My church has a day care and a kindergarten; double-whammy for being off limits.

-J-

JHAWK1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Licensed daycares and preschools are also off limits according to the Indiana Code.

My church has a day care and a kindergarten; double-whammy for being off limits.

-J-

Anyone know any IC on carrying to a privatized preschool? If it's one of those things you get permission for? I know the member of my church, he's no LEO and he knows the law about school carry, if he OC's to church could he have gotten special permission?

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    OC, CC, who cares. JUST CARRY and yes shootings happen at churches so carry there if there is no daycare!

jmo2003bu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I carry at church. My normal philosophy is that I carry the weapon in the same location every day, whether or not my clothing conceals it. Church is my one exception. I will always conceal in church so as not to interfere with anyone else's worship.

Amen brother! I'm the same way. I never go to church without it...but I make sure that no one will ever see it...unless of course things go terribly wrong. Several people know I carry and are fine with it...but I would hate for it to be a distraction to others so it's always concealed.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    It is legal, and I carry everywhere I go. In church (though it's been far too long since I've been able to go, usually working) I always conceal. OC does attract attention sometimes, and I have no wish to to cause a distraction from the reason we are there.

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Ok. I've talked to a moderator, and this thread is acceptable. Without bringing any Specifics up.

Do you carry at church? If so do you OC or CC?
    As for me I never used to until yesterday I noticed another member OCing. And that got me wondering. "Is it even legal to carry at church"?

Specifics about businesses are alright, but not Churches?
    I guess it doesn't have to be fair.
    We have a big angel with our congregation.
    In addition, quite a few Leos attend.

Thanks

Mark

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Anyone know any IC on carrying to a privatized preschool? If it's one of those things you get permission for? I know the member of my church, he's no LEO and he knows the law about school carry, if he OC's to church could he have gotten special permission?

Public or private doesn't matter... It's the licensing that's the kicker.

MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle
    But the church santuary is not used for the daycare/preschool, right? I would think that it would be off limits to carry only in those areas functioning as a licensed childcare facility, and/or only during the hours it is operating as such. It's a facility that has dual purposes (childcare during the week, and worship/church on Sunday/Wednesday). Wouldn't this make carrying okay on Sunday? I am not a lawyer, and am just asking b/c this would make sense to me (ability to carry on Sunday, not during the week at childcare), but I am well aware that not all laws make sense.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    But the church santuary is not used for the daycare/preschool, right? I would think that it would be off limits to carry only in those areas functioning as a licensed childcare facility, and/or only during the hours it is operating as such. It's a facility that has dual purposes (childcare during the week, and worship/church on Sunday/Wednesday). Wouldn't this make carrying okay on Sunday? I am not a lawyer, and am just asking b/c this would make sense to me (ability to carry on Sunday, not during the week at childcare), but I am well aware that not all laws make sense.

Unfortunately...you'd be wrong.

According to how the Indiana statutes/laws are written, a school is never not a school.

-J-

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I don't carry to church because there is a licensed,church owned, school on the same property. It doesn't even have to be in the church building, it's off limits legally, even though there is a parking lot separating the two,and even though no school or Sunday classes are going on during the service I attend.

Top Bottom