• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bambek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Henry Co.
    I am on staff at our church. I don't carry during services....yet. That may change. I have seen and been involved in situations that leave us siting ducks. Thank God for His protection cause we would have been in trouble should BGs want to make trouble. Because we love people often those same people think they should be able to walk all over us. We think otherwise.

HobbyGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Newburgh
    I always CC when attending services. Don't want to disturb the little blue-haired ladies. At all other church functions including fellowships in members homes (including the pastor's house this past Sunday) I OC as usual. So I am pretty sure that most members know I carry, I'm just not obvious about it on Sunday morning.

JHAWK1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am on staff at our church. I don't carry during services....yet. That may change. I have seen and been involved in situations that leave us siting ducks. Thank G** for His protection cause we would have been in trouble should BGs want to make trouble. Because we love people often those same people think they should be able to walk all over us. We think otherwise.

:mods:

JHAWK1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Do you have a security team in place yet. There is a big conference in Lima Oh on Sept 18 about church security you might want to check it out.

No we have a few LEO's attend but as far as I know, we have no security team. That is something I will have to bring up with the
    Pastor.

johenz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Indianapols, IN
    I attend church at least four times a week. I'm not always going just to Mass. Often I've been running errands before or will be after. It's easier to just carry than to be taking the gun on and off all the time. I always carry concealed. I think my pastor knows, but he's never said anything about it.

JHAWK1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have just spoken with and discussed the church security team idea. It was a big hit over the phone but is something that will be discussed further and with more details.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Usually when there are worship services, there is no school in session, unless you are going to 8 am Mass on the weekdays. So even if there is a school, on the weekends you can carry. I CC just out of respect for someone elses benefit to worship in a peaceful manner.

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Usually when there are worship services, there is no school in session, unless you are going to 8 am Mass on the weekdays. So even if there is a school, on the weekends you can carry. I CC just out of respect for someone elses benefit to worship in a peaceful manner.

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

I think there is potential for conflict with the law ,if you carry
    a weapon without permission on weekends at your church building.If you have some spare time, please go back and read this entire thread.

Mark

100 posts in less than 100 weeks.
    Now can I get a IGO hat?

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

This is incorrect. If it's a licensed school, pre-school, or daycare, it is off limits regardless of whether school in session or not.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You guys are all talking about schools, which is a good topic. But according to my understanding of the following, it doesn't apply IF YOU'RE AUTHORIZED BY THE SCHOOL. If the church's school says you can carry a gun there, you can carry a gun there. Correct me if I'm wrong?

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

<A name=IC35-47-9-1>IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

I would suggest strongly that those who plan to do this have the above described authorization in writing on or about your person at ALL times while engaged in the otherwise unlawful action of carrying a firearm on the premises of a (church which is also a) school. With that authorization, you're golden. Without it, you've just committed a felony that cannot be plead down to a lesser charge and that will bar you from further, future lawful firearms ownership.

Word to the wise.

Blessings,
    Bill

JHAWK1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would suggest strongly that those who plan to do this have the above described authorization in writing on or about your person at ALL times while engaged in the otherwise unlawful action of carrying a firearm on the premises of a (church which is also a) school. With that authorization, you're golden. Without it, you've just committed a felony that cannot be plead down to a lesser charge and that will bar you from further, future lawful firearms ownership.

Word to the wise.

Blessings,
    Bill

So who would you go to for permission? The Pastor, owner of the building the church leases from, director of the preschool(Pastors wife).

After talking with the Pastor he was unaware that anyone (even LEO's) carried to church. He did not mind as he supports the 2nd amendment, but nonetheless was unaware.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    So who would you go to for permission? The Pastor, owner of the building the church leases from, director of the preschool(Pastors wife).

After talking with the Pastor he was unaware that anyone (even LEO's) carried to church. He did not mind as he supports the 2nd amendment, but nonetheless was unaware.

Who you go to will depend on each situation.

At our church, for instance, it was presented to the executive pastor and some elders...as well as the church's lawyer.

Other, smaller churches, it might be up to the 1 and only pastor.

Generally, it's the "boss"...

-J-

Cigar Bob

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I have just spoken with and discussed the church security team idea. It was a big hit over the phone but is something that will be discussed further and with more details.
    Let me know if I can help. We have had a church security in place for some years now. We even have a manual that we created that outlines our job description and duties. We have installed security cameras that we can monitor from computers in the church and from home. We have taken this role to heart with a 10 man team rotating 2 every sunday and a special team of 3 on wednesdays nights for the awana and youth and prayer meeting that is at our church. We are involved in all things that we feel are security related items. We issue keys to the church and do background checks on people who want to help or lead in any way before they step into a class room and teach children or adults. We have monthly meetings and training as well. I wish you the best..

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Let me know if I can help...

I'm interested in any info you wish to share. I'll send you a PM with my contact info.

I'm currently involved in pitching a response team with authorization for carry at my church (with a preschool.)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom