• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Don't adopt the beast, whatever you do, as the DNR will kick down your door in a trice to spirit the thing away and deliver you to the King's gaol.

danbb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Cedar Lake
    You could always mix up a little pop and golden malrin fly poison, I've never seen anything but a coon drink it, and it ends them pretty quick, and silently. You don't even have to stay up, just collect 'em in the morning

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Illegal to discharge a firearm anywhere other than a shooting range in Marion Co, "If" you get caught. ***, empty cases are evidence *** and raccoons are fur bearers with a harvest season, so don't get caught with a dead one out of season ***, just sayin ***,

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    .22 CB in a 10/22 works nicely. Only problem is that you have to manually cycle the action for follow up shots if you miss.

00 buck should do it in one. Lol

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Illegal to discharge a firearm anywhere other than a shooting range in Marion Co, "If" you get caught. ***, empty cases are evidence *** and raccoons are fur bearers with a harvest season, so don't get caught with a dead one out of season ***, just sayin ***,

Please share a link to the city code proving its illegal to discharge a firearm in Marion County.

RspecZX6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Shelbyville, IN
    I used to live in BFE out in Decatur County and I had a problem with raccoons coming close to my 2 small dogs.

I used to pop them with .22LR, but that would be far too loud, as you already know.

Those things are vicious as heck too, so be careful. Their claws did extensive damage to my aunts ventilation ducts in her home.

I suggest a pellet rifle for silent dispatching of those little buggers.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    One used to be able to take nuisance animals out of season, but they had to call the DNR within 72 hrs.

That was a while ago.

Quick web check shows no permits needed to live trap nuisance critters. But they have to be released within county of capture, or put down. So with that last bit...........killing is then legal (but not worded like it once was in the Hunting and Trapping Guide nuisance section).

DNR: Frequently Asked Questions and Answers to Nuisance Wildlife

The rules about wild animals are easy to find, unless you're married to a nurse and work as a cop in Connersville.

BTW my old beater Crosman 2100 was LOUD compared to CBs in my 541T HB.

CB= 29gr bullet at 700 FPS.

Killed many a 'coon and 'possum with that stuff. Up close, it'll drop 'em dead (you must zero your gun for them, impact may be substantially different than with reg .22 rf ammo). Pinpoint placement made the job quick n easy.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I know what I'll do, neighbors aren't too close, and I would be shooting towards the ground... if I did. I'll look into the CCI Aguila's, I have a ruger 10/22 so if it won't cycle it, thats fine, I don't plan on missing.

lww

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Please share a link to the city code proving its illegal to discharge a firearm in Marion County.
    Here you go: Chapter 451 - WEAPONS (BTW, this wasn't hard to find. ;))

Sec. 451-2. - Firearms generally.
    (a) Within the police special service district, it shall be unlawful for any person to fire off, shoot at another person or otherwise use any dangerous weapon for any purpose other than in defense of his life or the life of another person, or the protection of his property or property entrusted to him by another person, or for practice at a range under the supervision and operation of a governmental entity, or without the prior written approval of the department of public safety.

Definition of "police special service district": ARTICLE I. - IN GENERAL (Good luck deciphering that!:dunno:)

As far as I can tell "dangerous weapon" is not defined within the code, so use your imagination...

--Bill

Last edited:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    When I lived in the country I would live trap them and shoot them in the head. Problem with the live trap is you never know what you get, feral cats, possums, etc. Coons are in the bear family and can be very vicious, be careful. I knew a pro who would use CB caps when he had to remove them from attics.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    Two things to say here.

A buddy of mine lives in Fishers and had a Raccoon problem. He didn't know who to call, so he called the police to get ahold of animal control. Fishers does not have Animal control apparently, so they sent a cop out. Once on site, the cop called in for permission to shoot it and he did! The officer put the carcass in my buddy's trashcan after he left.

Get an air rifle or get a cop who's looking for a reason to fire his gun.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    When I lived in the country I would live trap them and shoot them in the head. Problem with the live trap is you never know what you get, feral cats, possums, etc. Coons are in the bear family and can be very vicious, be careful. I knew a pro who would use CB caps when he had to remove them from attics.

Removing a Skunk from a Live trap is always fun. I've caught several and it's always one of those /facepalm moments. Needless-to-say, I line those shots up from WAY back, upwind.

Top Bottom