• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I live outside the 465 look (NW indpls). I trappped 5 raccoons with a have-a hart trap and released them into a nearby park. You could borrow it if yer not an asshat with no social responsibility ;). PM me. If you kill one, others will come for revenge. Very messy.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I live in Indianapolis, outside 465 loop. If I have a racoon on my property what kind of trouble would I be in if it were "dispatched" by my 22 rifle? I do have a dog that goes outside... if you catch my drift.

Ahhh, I get your drift. You want to pretend to shoot the raccoon and "accidentally" mistake the dog for a raccoon, thus giving you a reason for killing the dog that your girlfriend bought to the relationship that was given to her by an old boyfriend that makes you jealous.

Right?

Or:
    The three S's.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    ^^^ Yes... that's exactly what I meant... (insert purple wherever appropriate)
    I didn't know the Three S's so now I do... again insert purple where appropriate.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I would recommend a live trap. Bait with a ball of aluminum foil with 5 or 6 drops of vanilla extract. I have coon hunted and trapped for about 25 years. Only thing I know that will consistently catch raccoons and not other varmints (skunk, neighbors cats, etc). Dispose of however you choose.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Here you go: Chapter 451 - WEAPONS (BTW, this wasn't hard to find. ;))

--Bill
    Wouldn't state preemption void this?

One used to be able to take nuisance animals out of season, but they had to call the DNR within 72 hrs.

That was a while ago.

Correct, you can dispatch nuisance animals out of season if they are a danger to people or property. Legally, you must contact the DNR within 72 hours.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Here you go: Chapter 451 - WEAPONS (BTW, this wasn't hard to find. ;))

Sec. 451-2. - Firearms generally.
    (a) Within the police special service district, it shall be unlawful for any person to fire off, shoot at another person or otherwise use any dangerous weapon for any purpose other than in defense of his life or the life of another person, or the protection of his property or property entrusted to him by another person, or for practice at a range under the supervision and operation of a governmental entity, or without the prior written approval of the department of public safety.

Definition of "police special service district": ARTICLE I. - IN GENERAL (Good luck deciphering that!:dunno:)

As far as I can tell "dangerous weapon" is not defined within the code, so use your imagination...

--Bill

And no where in all of that jumbo does it say its completely illegal to fire a firearm in Marion County. Sure there are some restrictions, but not illegal like the original poster tried to claim.

Hence the reason I asked for the specific code.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Capture_zps239af6fc.jpg

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Ever notice how the military snipers move way back into the room to shoot whenener they can, almost no signature from the shot the room will catch most of it(sound). But trap and kill is better option hell a box trap would work like from bugs bunny. That ephedrine energy stuff offs critters with no caffiene tolerence pretty good

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Within the city, I would definitely not recommend shooting them in the open with a firearm. Live trap them, and either take them somewhere and turn'em loose (like some other area is in need of more racoons, invest in some welding gloves!) or take them into a garage or similar building and pop them in the head with a .22. Personally, I kinda like racoons and wouldn't bother them unless they were creating a problem. We have a small dog that likes to bark a lot, and I keep hoping he'll get eatin by some wild critter. I'm thinking about smearing him with bacon grease in hopes a coyote will wander by for a snack. Tractor Supply has lives traps.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I don't think anyone is suggesting to indiscriminately kill coons.

I don't like killing anything around me unless its a problem.

I had to dispatch a coon last year because it had the mange and I didn't want it to infect the others. I had a family living in a barn.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    We had a whole family living in a tree right above our porch when we bought our ranch. They wouldn't leave and wouldn't be trapped. We had to get rid of them. Luckily, we live far enough out that the barrage of 12 and 20 gauge fire went virtually un-noticed.

For the OP; invest $50 or $70 in an air rifle. Will be plenty powerful enough to do the job, and won't get you into trouble with the law. Plus, you can plink in your backyard on those days when you just can't make it into the range.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    If you have access to a .22 bolt action or pump action, a .22 short is no louder than a pellet gun. Just saying.:D

.22 short in lever gun is a no-go, tho. If the first shot only makes $VARMINT do the funky chicken, good luck getting the next round to feed.

'Coons are as tough and ornery as 'possum and cats.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've killed dozens, dropped on the spot and dead, with head shots of .22 CB from rifles.
    That's a 29 gr bullet at 700 FPS, and .22 shorts break 1000.
    It's all in the placement.

Hell, I killed a 25lb coon with a shovel. That thing had a dozen possums to its credit too.
    That shovel was too cool.

FWANGGGGGGGGGG! Yup, 'nuther 'possum to toss on the compost heap.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    The trick with raccoons is to catch them in a live trap. Then feed them a diet of grains and fresh foods for two weeks. That's to help clean out their system of all the trash they eat. Basically treat it like royalty for 2 weeks. Then a humane shot to the head for a quick kill. Clean it , cook it and eat it. Best meal you'll ever have.

Don't kill it immediately, it will taste like crap.

Talk about good eats. Then some red potatoes broasted in olive oil, garlic, basil and Italian seasoning for a side and its better then down town.

Top Bottom