• Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Are you serious?

I do believe he is.
    Why - would that be a problem?

They just had a school shooting and that just proves that their security is less than worthless on campus.
    So yes - bringing your own protection should be mandatory for staff and students as well as guests.
    We already know it's NOT illegal. :dunno:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I wish we had someone on INGO that had enough money to be expelled from PU and fight it in court due to the public funding they receive. Unfortunately, I know it would go no where.

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    I do believe he is.

They just had a school shooting and that just proves that their security is less than worthless on campus.
    So yes - bringing your own protection should be mandatory for staff and students as well as guests.

Speaking as a Purdue grad who discreetly carried concealed while a student, because my rights trump their policies.

It would be the height of stupidity to turn that gathering in a damned open carry protest. Some of you open carry guys are clueless. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Speaking as a Purdue grad who discreetly carried concealed while a student, because my rights trump their policies.

It would be the height of stupidity to turn that gathering in a damned open carry protest. Some of you open carry guys are clueless. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Protest.

What Protest?

Oh - I see. You're right.
    You mean I should be more tolerant of other people's feelings and leave my gun out of the equation even though I would normally wear it that way.
    The next time I'm at a friend's funeral that was killed in a car accident, I should probably walk. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings by arriving in "A Car".

I never thought that putting my gun on in the morning was - "A Protest" - but hey, you learn something new everyday.

Stupidity is when useless killings CAN be prevented by simply allowing at least ONE gun per classroom in these schools.

I am sorry that the clueless sheeple at your school are making you conceal like a criminal. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. :):

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Funny that when a soldier complains about the rules in the military, the consensus is that it's his fault because he signed the dotted line. He's under contract and is forced to abide by those rules. He either abides or faces serious ucmj consequences.

Yet when a student enrolls at Purdue, they know cc or oc is verboten. They are under no obligation to be there and are free to quit at any time. And the consensus is that none of this is the students fault.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Funny that when a soldier complains about the rules in the military, the consensus is that it's his fault because he signed the dotted line. He's under contract and is forced to abide by those rules. He either abides or faces serious ucmj consequences.

Yet when a student enrolls at Purdue, they know cc or oc is verboten. They are under no obligation to be there and are free to quit at any time. And the consensus is that none of this is the students fault.

How would it be the students fault? They expect that Purdue University will provide a safe environment for them.

It's obvious that Purdue can't do that, so it's Purdue's fault.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Really sad thing is I was listening to the radio this morning, pop music, they had someone on there that was in a building close by and she was talking about what she heard/felt/etc... She went on to say that "well, this could happen anywhere and you have to be ready for it" (at this point, I'm thinking, hey, clever gal! Right? Wrong!) "and that we should accept it if it comes..." I almost ran my car off Binford screaming at the radio due to this sheeple idiot.

I had friends that thought the same way about Newtown, "We should accept it if it comes". They claimed I was gung-ho or Rambo b/c I said, even without a gun, one can fight and maybe not just to protect yourself, but stall the attacker long enough for others to live. When they asked if teachers should be allowed to carry, I was a pariah for saying yes. Remember, a lot of people either think guns are evil or if they do own a gun, "I'm safe, it's at home..." or it's a toy, nothing more, something that can wax idiotic about to their friends at the bar after having a few, "Hey, lookitme! I'm a shooter!".

I'm sickened by this crap. I'm sickened that they are turning this into some idiotic "national tragedy" b/c it happened on school grounds. It was BS, and will be BS. Don't get me wrong, I feel bad, but as someone already said, this was a homicide, just like a road rage, domestic violence, or someone who is just plain angry at someone else over an argument. Yet, they blow it up, put black ribbons behind the Purdue P logo and other dreck. Okay, I feel bad for the 21 year old life snuffed, but honestly, I see no deviation from this or any other Chicago murder or other murder anywhere else. Call it callous, call it hardnosed, but is what it is: A murder, not a mass shooting, not yet another issue that will cause runs on guns/ammo. It's our reaction now that dictates how the community, not just the shooting community, perceives these situations. We make it into a national affair, it becomes a national affair.

On a side note: This was a targeted shooting. I'm for students defending themselves and carry on campus, but think campus carry would have had a marginal if any deterrent value to this style of attack. A mass shooting? Yes. This kind of shooting? No. This killer had a mindset that would not be deterred. What would have a carrier done? Opened fire on the guy AFTER the attack? I understand having the means to defend thyself and such and agree, campus carry is needed, but this kind of attack, targeted, calculated, and having a single minded goal of a single target, you cannot guard against that effectively.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I do believe he is.

Can we stop saying "school shooting", in reference to a simple homicide that happened to be on a campus?

This is not school property

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Our son; freshman, and daughter; 1st year post-grad, both Boilermakers, called me at 12:10 to say they were safe. We also have family employed and they called to say they were safe and gave updates. Son was two buildings away when notified and professor let them leave. He exited his building, said he thought he heard gunshots, moved quickly away from area(but didn't run), and hopped on a bus back to his dorm room. Daughter was locked in place in building further away from EE. Son text me pictures; same ones that have been posted here and I told him they looked like LEO on perimeter watch; not shooters. Son has friends that knew victim.

We had some good conversations about situational awareness and how to plan to protect your life if locked down in a room and shooter enters.

My sympathies are with the victim's family for senseless tragedy. But I also commend LEOs that entered, cleared and secured the scene in minutes notice. But as many have mentioned, it's still a gun free zone and that's discouraging.

As we learned, it was a targeted murder, not mass random shooting. So, I plan on more conversations with both kids to keep talking about the shooting and keeping them aware.

When I got my calls, I was shocked but relieved. I can't imagine getting the call that the Boldt parents received...

Both kids said they still felt very safe at Purdue.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Humans have been killing other humans for as long as we have existed as a species. They will continue to do so as long as the species exists. You can't legislate away human nature and part of that nature is to kill. What provokes us varies among the individual members of the species but the ability to do so resides in all of us.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Mgderf It'll end up being some stupid little crap. It always is.

Something similar happened when I worked at Purdue. A student shot a student guidance counselor. I can't recall if he died or not, but something says no.
    This incident was over being turned in to the police department for smoking pot in the dorms.
    They shooter in this case thought the counselor had "ruined his life".

It's ALWAYS something stupid.

quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman
    Mg, he died. Shotgun slug at muzzle contact.

I did the prosecution of the co-conspirator.

Times Get Harder For Dorm-room Monitors - Chicago Tribune

"The shooter was from my neighborhood. Didn't know him or his family, though. "

Student counselor caught undergrad dealing drugs, said he was going to turn him in. U-grad got a shotgun, killed counselor, then himself.
    I knew family of the U-grad student. Good family, but kid got caught up in trafficking. Very tragic when drugs can take over lives.

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Really sad thing is I was listening to the radio this morning, pop music, they had someone on there that was in a building close by and she was talking about what she heard/felt/etc... She went on to say that "well, this could happen anywhere and you have to be ready for it" (at this point, I'm thinking, hey, clever gal! Right? Wrong!) "and that we should accept it if it comes..."

She probably wouldn't feel the same way about Bob Knight's rape comment......

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Indy Star is now reporting the victim and shooter both TA'd for the same prof. Sounds like they're getting closer to finding the stupid reason why one person ended one life and ruined the rest of their own.

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Protest.

What Protest?

Oh - I see. You're right.
    You mean I should be more tolerant of other people's feelings and leave my gun out of the equation even though I would normally wear it that way.
    The next time I'm at a friend's funeral that was killed in a car accident, I should probably walk. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings by arriving in "A Car".

I never thought that putting my gun on in the morning was - "A Protest" - but hey, you learn something new everyday.

S:):tupidity is when useless killings CAN be prevented by simply allowing at least ONE gun per classroom in these schools.

I am sorry that the clueless sheeple at your school are making you conceal like a criminal. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Conceal like a criminal? I conceal like a person who recognizes the advantage of not advertising 'shoot me first'.

I am not opposed to open carry but those who constantly froth at the mouth about it do more harm than good with their 'in your face' attitude.

And yes, open carry at that gathering would have been a protest. You can pretend all you want and make straw man analogies but that doesn't change reality for those of us who are honest with ourselves.

You will convert 10x as many people taking new shooters to the range, as you will frightening the soccer moms at starbucks. But then you don't get to pretend to be John Wayne.

DrWin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    As a Purdue alumnus, I am proud of the support that the students showed for the victim's family during the vigil yesterday. I hope it is tactful to admit that I am glad it wasn't a mass shooting. I'm not sure how I feel about the cancellation of classes today, but classes definitely should've been cancelled yesterday (as they were). It is also borderline infuriating that some professors didn't take the situation seriously, which you can read more about here.

On a side note: This was a targeted shooting. I'm for students defending themselves and carry on campus, but think campus carry would have had a marginal if any deterrent value to this style of attack. A mass shooting? Yes. This kind of shooting? No. This killer had a mindset that would not be deterred. What would have a carrier done? Opened fire on the guy AFTER the attack? I understand having the means to defend thyself and such and agree, campus carry is needed, but this kind of attack, targeted, calculated, and having a single minded goal of a single target, you cannot guard against that effectively.

That is a good point. It likely couldn't have been prevented as it was a targeted shooting without any outward warning signs (that we know of). I'm sure that some people are going to use this incident in order to justify stricter regulations, but I have to preemptively point out to my friends that the burden of proof for depriving students of an inherent, Constitutionally-recognized right lies with the institution. (Yes, I understand it's a right, but others don't yet realize that.) In other words, it's up to the individual governmental entities to prove that there should be a no-firearms regulation, as opposed to all of us needing to prove that a no-firearms regulation isn't necessary.

Last edited:

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    True. Irritates the heck out of me. We've had a couple of handfuls of homicides this year already and because "school" is associated with this one, it will get national attention. It's already on USA Today.

But, the homicide on 38th? Nada. Even though the motive(s) could have been identical.

Agreed.

A couple (although just off-campus) shootings at BSU back in the day...
    One guy shot his girlfriend during a dispute.
    Another guy came in from out of town and shot his ex-girlfriend at a party and a guy trying to help.
    Another student was delivering pizza and was robbed, shot and killed by another student so just he could pay his rent.
    All stupid.

Ahburns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    West Lafayette
    When I was a student at IU Bloomington there was a similar situation: Developments in stabbing of IU professor - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports. One man (a student) killed another man (his professor) with a knife. Their was some type of sexual relationship between the two. However, the nature remains unclear. The murder did not get the same amount of press. Probably because it was off campus and guns were not involved.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    OK- at this point, I think the speculation and unsourced reports are crossing a line.

A polite request- reel it back in and wait until there is something reliable before assigning these kinds of motives.

Top Bottom