• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    OK- at this point, I think the speculation and unsourced reports are crossing a line.

A polite request- reel it back in and wait until there is something reliable before assigning these kinds of motives.

eh...its the internet, i can speculate

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Mgderf It'll end up being some stupid little crap. It always is.

Something similar happened when I worked at Purdue. A student shot a student guidance counselor. I can't recall if he died or not, but something says no.
    This incident was over being turned in to the police department for smoking pot in the dorms.
    They shooter in this case thought the counselor had "ruined his life".

It's ALWAYS something stupid.

quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman
    Mg, he died. Shotgun slug at muzzle contact.

I did the prosecution of the co-conspirator.

Times Get Harder For Dorm-room Monitors - Chicago Tribune

"The shooter was from my neighborhood. Didn't know him or his family, though. "

Student counselor caught undergrad dealing drugs, said he was going to turn him in. U-grad got a shotgun, killed counselor, then himself.
    I knew family of the U-grad student. Good family, but kid got caught up in trafficking. Very tragic when drugs can take over lives.

I was a freshman at Purdue when that happened. I was living in Wiley Hall and was in the building (one floor down) when the shooting happened. A friend of mine was living on the floor where the shooting occurred, in the room next to Jay Severson's room (the victim of the shooting), when the shooting occurred. He told me later that day that he heard the shot, but assumed it was a door slamming and didn't think anything of it (the dorm room doors were these massive heavy wooden doors and since there was no AC, people tended to leave their doors and windows open to create a cross breeze, which led to regular instances of the window gusting and slamming a door shut). The next thing he knew, the dorm manager was opening his door with an armed and armored SWAT team member right there, telling him to get out of the building. For those of us on other floors, we weren't officially evacuated until much later. My roommate and I actually left the building (having to cross a police line to get out) on our own, to see what was going on. It was complete chaos and the police were definitely caught unprepared and appeared to be as confused as the students.

It was a pretty crazy experience and it's definitely stuck with me over the years. It taught me that, in the end, the only one who can guarantee your protection is yourself. The police had already been looking for Eskew (the shooter), but he had made it all the way back to Crawfordsville to arm himself and then back to Purdue to murder Severson, without being apprehended. The police are like cops in movies and TV, who can solve crimes and apprehend criminals in under an hour (with commercial breaks).

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    OK- at this point, I think the speculation and unsourced reports are crossing a line.

A polite request- reel it back in and wait until there is something reliable before assigning these kinds of motives.

My friends uncle told me he heard at work the one kid was actually working for al Qaeda in a super-secret cell in Bloomington, Indiana... and the other guy was a time traveler from 2042.

But that's just what I heard.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    How would it be the students fault? They expect that Purdue University will provide a safe environment for them.

It's obvious that Purdue can't do that, so it's Purdue's fault.

Did the army provide a safe environment for those killed at Ft Hood? I've seen it argued many times here that soldiers in the barracks should be disarmed and regardless of how stupid a rule is, we signed up for it and therefore must live with it. When it comes to the military, nothing is better than status quo.

These students knew of the rule when they became students. They didn't have to attend. Courts have ruled that the police have no legal obligation to protect you so how is it that a university does?

How many are ok with the status quo of disarming soldiers and advocate for campus carry? The argument for disarming soldiers has always been lack of maturity and alcohol. As if those aren't issues with college students.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I do believe he is.
    Why - would that be a problem?

They just had a school shooting and that just proves that their security is less than worthless on campus.
    So yes - bringing your own protection should be mandatory for staff and students as well as guests.
    We already know it's NOT illegal. :dunno:

Mandatory?

I wouldn't say the campus security is less than worthless - it's just not adequate to stop all homicides. Common sense would tell you that!

Can we stop saying "school shooting", in reference to a simple homicide that happened to be on a campus?

This is not school property
    It's school property - just not K-12 - which is how we judge things since that's how firearm laws are set.
    "School shooting" doesn't really have a good definition - just like "assault weapon".

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Did the army provide a safe environment for those killed at Ft Hood? I've seen it argued many times here that soldiers in the barracks should be disarmed and regardless of how stupid a rule is, we signed up for it and therefore must live with it. When it comes to the military, nothing is better than status quo.

These students knew of the rule when they became students. They didn't have to attend. Courts have ruled that the police have no legal obligation to protect you so how is it that a university does?

How many are ok with the status quo of disarming soldiers and advocate for campus carry? The argument for disarming soldiers has always been lack of maturity and alcohol. As if those aren't issues with college students.

Not me. I think those soldiers should be allowed to carry firearms every day if they so choose.

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Can we stop saying "school shooting", in reference to a simple homicide that happened to be on a campus?

This is not school property

This. I'm so tired of hearing school shooting. Sure it happened on campus but it was not a school shooting

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's school property - just not K-12 - which is how we judge things since that's how firearm laws are set.
    "School shooting" doesn't really have a good definition - just like "assault weapon".

I believe in this case it's being misused, and the term is being used because it's a buzzword that draws attention.

A "school shooting" implies a person enters a public school and begins shooting students indiscriminately. "School shooting" is ammo for news outlets and anti-gun advocates, and just gives them a +1 in their column. Piers Morgan was quick to jump on this, like any other event with a firearm, and scream for more action... and it really shouldn't be that way.

This was a murder, just like the one miles away on 38th street, just like the one miles away in Chicago, just like the... etc etc.

The firearms laws on this campus/business are no different than the firearms laws on 38th street.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...It's school property - just not K-12 - which is how we judge things since that's how firearm laws are set.

School shooting? I'll let others debate that.

However, there is a specific definition of "school property", and to use my lawyer speak, this ain't that.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Not me. I think those soldiers should be allowed to carry firearms every day if they so choose.

Not really a counterpoint, but I think there is a level of "macho" on base that says you don't need a firearm to remedy problems on base. Thinking back, of the few fistfights I've been in in my life, over 50% of them were on base. Tools, etc., were nearby, knives were carried, but it stayed with fists.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Ironic how when someone gets shot and killed in a conservative state or area it's a "Deadly Shooting", and when someone gets shot and killed in Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, or New York City it's "just another murder".

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I know it was eons ago, but for kicks an occasional EE student in the lab would reverse the polarity on a metal can type electrolytic capacitor and throw some serious DC voltage through it. After the loud boom, the a large amount of flecks of metal foil/paper would filter through the air, followed by a stench that cannot be described. Kind of like geeky fireworks. Back then if you did that you would have to clean up the place and maybe loose lab privileges for a while. If you did that now, I am sure the place would be locked down and you would end up answering BATF agents while wearing handcuffs. Times have changed.

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like the Oklahoma thing was just noise from some malfunctioning equipment. Of course the headlines on various sites still refer to "scares" and "shootings" despite the body of the stories saying there were no shots, or even a gunman. One wonders why the stories are still up at all.

Top Bottom