• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Ok I've been doing a lot more research. And, I hate to say it, but I'm starting to lean more towards the Xbox....

I'm going to Walmart and GameStop with my brother tomorrow. He wants to buy another game anyway. Me, I'm going to try out the display xbox's. I should be going home with something.

:rockwoot: Thats what I like to hear :yesway:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Some misinformation. The first gen 60 gig Ps3 models (good luck finding one) contain the "emotion" engine that fully supports PS2 support via actual physical hardware. "All" ps2 games should work with the initial 60 gig model.

The first gen 20 Gig and 2nd gen PS3 models use software emulation to play SOME PS2 games.

All "modern production" or "slim" PS3s are not backwards compatible with PS2 games.

All models play PS1 games.

PlayStation® Knowledge Center | Support - PlayStation.com

Look more at the available purchases than the HD size because you can swap out the HD for a larger one. My 60 Gig PS3 Gen 1 now has a 240 gig HD in it that I bought from New Egg for like 40 bucks. They make it easy to swap info from one HD to another. No service for Online access on PS3.

However, XBOX 360 is a better online service than PS3... even at the price tag of 60 bucks a year. If you look around, you can find online yearly codes for Xbox Live for 30-40 bucks. I found a bunch of clearance ones, paid up my XBL membership for 3 years and sold 2 more online for 50 bucks a piece to recoup some of my expenses.

Xboxes are designed to fail. I've gone through 4 of them. I've only PAID for 2. The first one I bought, I sold and then it died. I offered to replace it for free but the guy threw it away before I could mail it back to Xbox. I replaced it with a black "elite" model. It died the week before I had surgery in 2009. I sent it back, they sent me a replacement model that had a different serial number. That one crapped out after 3 months... sent it back. They sent me another replacement (yet still a different model) and it ran fine for a year. I sold it and buy a new 4 Gig Slim model for 150 bucks from Wal-Mart (who threw in a free wireless controller, 50 bucks, a 3 month XBL card, 20 bucks, a 50 dollar gift card that I used on gas and I picked up a wireless controller battery and charging cable). The deals are out there, but you have to search.

My PS3 is a release date system that has never ever failed me yet. It is rock solid, plays blu rays and looks pretty good. It has hardware update capability so when blu ray moved to Blu Ray Live and Blu Ray 3D, I had to buy nothing if I wanted to use either. I think 3D is lame but Blu Ray live can be neat.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    SUPPOSEDLY, they fixed the red ring. Get the warranty and don't worry about it.
    Definitely get an extended warranty on whichever you get. The RRD is fixable by doing the simplest of things. Make sure the unit is sitting on its side, not standing up. The RRD is caused by the processor slipping due to heat melting the glue that holds it on. Go figure.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Hmm. I dont like that they are designed to fail...

Some misinformation. The first gen 60 gig Ps3 models (good luck finding one) contain the "emotion" engine that fully supports PS2 support via actual physical hardware. "All" ps2 games should work with the initial 60 gig model.

The first gen 20 Gig and 2nd gen PS3 models use software emulation to play SOME PS2 games.

All "modern production" or "slim" PS3s are not backwards compatible with PS2 games.

All models play PS1 games.

PlayStation® Knowledge Center | Support - PlayStation.com

Look more at the available purchases than the HD size because you can swap out the HD for a larger one. My 60 Gig PS3 Gen 1 now has a 240 gig HD in it that I bought from New Egg for like 40 bucks. They make it easy to swap info from one HD to another. No service for Online access on PS3.

However, XBOX 360 is a better online service than PS3... even at the price tag of 60 bucks a year. If you look around, you can find online yearly codes for Xbox Live for 30-40 bucks. I found a bunch of clearance ones, paid up my XBL membership for 3 years and sold 2 more online for 50 bucks a piece to recoup some of my expenses.

Xboxes are designed to fail. I've gone through 4 of them. I've only PAID for 2. The first one I bought, I sold and then it died. I offered to replace it for free but the guy threw it away before I could mail it back to Xbox. I replaced it with a black "elite" model. It died the week before I had surgery in 2009. I sent it back, they sent me a replacement model that had a different serial number. That one crapped out after 3 months... sent it back. They sent me another replacement (yet still a different model) and it ran fine for a year. I sold it and buy a new 4 Gig Slim model for 150 bucks from Wal-Mart (who threw in a free wireless controller, 50 bucks, a 3 month XBL card, 20 bucks, a 50 dollar gift card that I used on gas and I picked up a wireless controller battery and charging cable). The deals are out there, but you have to search.

My PS3 is a release date system that has never ever failed me yet. It is rock solid, plays blu rays and looks pretty good. It has hardware update capability so when blu ray moved to Blu Ray Live and Blu Ray 3D, I had to buy nothing if I wanted to use either. I think 3D is lame but Blu Ray live can be neat.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't think they were designed to fail, just poorly designed. Like I said, the new ones supposedly addressed and fixed the issue.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I bought one the day it came out (how long ago was that?). I had to get it repaired twice. I got six months of gold membership. I had to replace mine this year. It got hit by lightning and fried the live portion. It still plays games, just not online.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I say "hate" because in the long run, the Xbox will be more expensive. At least with the PS3, I can play games for free by borrowing my brothers.

Gotcha.

Most of the games you'll want you can rent and beat or you'll just want to have your own copy anyway. They won't want you borrowing the new stuff.

But I only play 3 games regularly, so my yearly game expense is cheap. I'm also on my first Xbox after having it since shortly after its release.

Definitely get an extended warranty on whichever you get. The RRD is fixable by doing the simplest of things. Make sure the unit is sitting on its side, not standing up. The RRD is caused by the processor slipping due to heat melting the glue that holds it on. Go figure.

This must be why I'm still on my first one. Mine sits in the same place, on it's side, in a non-smoking environment. It also gets turned off when not in use...I don't know how many people I know that just leaves the thing on for weeks at a time.:n00b:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    How much do you guys like the Halo games?

I played Halo 1 like it was going out of style. Any free time we had we were playing.

I bought Halo 2 at midnight the day it came out and it was fun, but there were things that they changed that made it worse and I eventually lost interest...It was a huge letdown IMO.

I'm not even sure how many Halos are out now, but I'll play them if someone I know has it and asks me to play...I guess that game is like riding a bike, because I won't even know the map and I can still run **** when we play online.:):

To clarify, the smaller maps are easy to pick up on, but the big maps are tough if you don't know them, because you can get respawned somewhere and it can take you over a minute before you even see someone.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I played Halo 1 like it was going out of style. Any free time we had we were playing.

I bought Halo 2 at midnight the day it came out and it was fun, but there were things that they changed that made it worse and I eventually lost interest...It was a huge letdown IMO.

I'm not even sure how many Halos are out now, but I'll play them if someone I know has it and asks me to play...I guess that game is like riding a bike, because I won't even know the map and I can still run **** when we play online.:):

To clarify, the smaller maps are easy to pick up on, but the big maps are tough if you don't know them, because you can get respawned somewhere and it can take you over a minute before you even see someone.

Reason why I ask, for $300, you can buy a 250gb Xbox, and get 2 free games. One is a HALO game. Dunno what the other is. And you get 3 months online game time for free.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It's probably the newest one (reach?). It's not bad. Online seems to be mostly younger kids from my experience.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Forget both of them and build a gaming pc. Will do anything the ps3 or xbox can do. and it can do it better.

My son has both consoles but spends most of his time gaming on the PC. He claims the games are so much better on the PC.

He usually decides which platform to buy new games on based on which system his friends will be playing on. Some games he has for both consoles or for a console & PC.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Xboxes are designed to fail. I've gone through 4 of them.

Wow. I don't care if they send you a brand-new system for free every time; having to get your **** replaced THREE TIMES is a clue that something's rotten in Denmark.

My PS3 is a release date system that has never ever failed me yet.

Wow. No real contest there, is there?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    PS3 question.

I know you can hard wire 2 PS3's together, and play against each other. Can you hook 3 of them together, via router, and play against each other?

Top Bottom