• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    I have a Beretta 92fs stainless with a few marks and broken clip.I'm asking $3000

I didn't think my price was to bad! It would only be a few dollars profit. LMAO:ingo:

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Let me see if I am understanding this thread correctly, you get mad if the price is too high, you are really happy if you get the gun for a small percentage of it's true value, am I right so far? If you feel the price is too high, offer what you feel the true value is, and if you feel the gun is way under priced, go ahead and give the person what the gun's true value really is. Or start a gun auction site.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I don't think OP is complaining so much or requesing INGO to set limits as he's asking a legitimate question. Why would a seller put an asking price on a used gun significantly higher than retail for a new gun? Well, as OP observed, because in all probability, the seller is going to bet getting offers and counter offers, and the asking price can only go down.

Snip

The main reasons I can see that most people who put prices that are above what it should be fall into two categories:

1: The uninformed, the person who does not try to stay on top of prices and buys it for a price way higher than they should have.

2: People who know they're going to get bashed with asking offers 100.00 below what would have posted as a fair price.

I have a Taurus PT-940 with 4 mags on sale here that I have received no less than 4 offers of 100.00 or more, less than my asking price.

At the 1500 I had a sign on that advertised it for $400.00 or OBO because I knew I was going to get low balled, the problem was everyone was wanting the ultimate deal and kept offering 275.00-300.00.

The last guy that walked up and said I'll give you XX dollars for your "GUN", I proudly said , sure, Gun only, if you want the mags they'll be 100.00 extra.

He gave me the WTF look and I pointed to the "Clips" sign and told him they sell the mags there for 34.99, 25.00 a piece is steal of a deal.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Let me see if I am understanding this thread correctly, you get mad if the price is too high, you are really happy if you get the gun for a small percentage of it's true value, am I right so far? If you feel the price is too high, offer what you feel the true value is, and if you feel the gun is way under priced, go ahead and give the person what the gun's true value really is. Or start a gun auction site.

Actually you are not understanding me at all. I don't get "mad" if the price is too high. And in no way have I indicated that there should be any kind of price fixing by INGO. The point of my post was just to ask why it seems so many people are out of touch with the true market value of their guns. It's kinda funny that it seems to of ruffled so many feathers. And lastly, why do people say things like "if you don't like the price just move on"? Duh! No kidding Captain obvious! Lmao:rolleyes:

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Eer
    The main reasons I can see that most people who put prices that are above what it should be fall into two categories:

1: The uninformed, the person who does not try to stay on top of prices and buys it for a price way higher than they should have.

2: People who know they're going to get bashed with asking offers 100.00 below what would have posted as a fair price.

I have a Taurus PT-940 with 4 mags on sale here that I have received no less than 4 offers of 100.00 or more, less than my asking price.

At the 1500 I had a sign on that advertised it for $400.00 or OBO because I knew I was going to get low balled, the problem was everyone was wanting the ultimate deal and kept offering 275.00-300.00.

The last guy that walked up and said I'll give you XX dollars for your "GUN", I proudly said , sure, Gun only, if you want the mags they'll be 100.00 extra.

He gave me the WTF look and I pointed to the "Clips" sign and told him they sell the mags there for 34.99, 25.00 a piece is steal of a deal.

Beerman I've seen your listing and it's a fair price. That's a funny story about the 1500. I understand there are a lot of BS lowballers. Maybe if you raised the price $100 you would sell it faster, Lol

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Actually you are not understanding me at all. I don't get "mad" if the price is too high. And in no way have I indicated that there should be any kind of price fixing by INGO. The point of my post was just to ask why it seems so many people are out of touch with the true market value of their guns. It's kinda funny that it seems to of ruffled so many feathers. And lastly, why do people say things like "if you don't like the price just move on"? Duh! No kidding Captain obvious! Lmao:rolleyes:

I didn't really think you were "mad". I see prices all over the spectrum. A lot of people see what they think is the same gun as theirs, sell for more than what they think their gun is worth, so they put their gun up for the same price. They are not really comparing apples to apples. There are a lot of variables to pricing a gun, especially collector guns, such as box, grips, barrel length, caliber, etc., people don't always take these things into consideration when pricing a gun.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    It's because everybody wants to imitate marijuana dealers. By low sell "high"....lol and from prices i am seeing they are either taking drugs or selling them to buy expensive ones...

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    More likely-it's more about uninformed sellers-given the volumes of posts, and websites on the Internet that make realistic pricing-easier, and less confusing for people with gear to sell.

Last edited:

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    You can sell your guns for whatever price you want.

I will sell my guns for whatever price that I want.

You can buy guns at whatever price you're willing to pay.

I can buy guns at whatever price I'm willing to pay.

Other folks have different "standards", if you will.

Freedom...ain't it grand? Free to ask what you want. Free to pay what you're willing. Free to say "no" to a sale. Free to say "yes" to a sale.

People who are priced too high sit on their stuff.

People who are priced right sell their stuff quickly. As do people who undervalue their stuff.

Again, it's all about freedom. Freedom to ask whatever it is that you want, and the freedom to shop elsewhere.

It's not really a big deal.

*Said as a person who has utilized Gunbroker to make more money on a sale than I could have on INGO. And as a person who starts on the high side when listing something for sale.

:laugh: The greedy, malcontents (you know who you are) that buy at/below wholesale, and set prices ABOVE street prices are ludicrous.

Note to reader, definition. Lu·di·crous - So foolish, unreasonable, or out of place as to be amusing.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To RNMcGuire,

I think there are several different motivations for the pricing of a firearm and each applies in different degrees depending on the situation.

#1) Why the weapon is being sold. Is it because "my transmission died and I need money NOW!?" This is an example of someone who is desperate and is either pushing the value of a weapon to cover their repair bill.

#2) I am selling grandpas old gun. It is at least 900 years old and must be worth a fortune! This is someone who is very misguided about the value of their property and has an overinflated value of things.

This can be found with anything, not just guns. You get some folks that watch the Antique Road Show and now believe every single olde lamp in grandmas house is worth at least $2k because that is all they see on the Road Show every week...:dunno:

#3) Then you have the guy who knows the value and just doesn't care about how long it takes to move, eventually some poor sot will come along and get fleeced.

A good example of this was the story on another board about a kid asking for $500 for their M44 Mosin Nagant on Craigslist. The kid posted to "stop calling me to tell me I'm asking too much. This is a REAL M44 and not a repro." It was easy to tell that somebody took advantage of this kids ignorance and convinced him that a $80 rifle was worth much more than its actual value.

#4) Then you get the person who has invested in guns and wants their money back out. They aren't charging a ridiculous amount but neither are they cutting any slack. This person does not care how long it takes to sell because eventually someone will come along who "has always wanted one of those" and buy it. The buyer knows they are impulse buying but it is something they want and don't care.

#5) Basic business model. Sometimes a store will have a business model that is either poor OR it is good BUT has a high overhead cost. If someone isn't running their business well they must charge more to stay in business. On the other hand they may want to have a huge inventory so that everybody can walk in the door and find what they want. In the latter case it can cost a lot of money to keep things on the shelf that don't turn over quickly. Want that rare gun? They have it, but you are going to pay for the ease of just walking in and finding it.

In my opinion the majority of overpricing is just a lack of knowledge. I collect olde military rifles but am tremendously ignorant on weapons that I am not specifically looking for right now. For example, at the last Tulsa Gun Show I went to I was looking for an SVT40. I really researched them for a couple of weeks ahead of time and had a fair idea of price ranges. I also picked up that an SVT38 would be much more expensive. How much more? I have no real idea. I knew that IF I found an SVT38 for less than $1.5k I would buy it on the spot providing it was in good condition but beyond that I had no real knowledge.

And thar is my :twocents::D.

Regards,

Doug

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Why do so many people ask ridiculous prices for their used firearms? I see a majority of owners trying to get retail or above retail for their weapons, especially Glock owners. For me to even consider a used gun it would have to be at least $50 less than new. Are folks really paying new prices for used guns? What am I missing here? :dunno:

I have a Beretta PX4 in the classifieds. If you have a moment, please evaluate my price.

Top Bottom