• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    A lot of times when I sell things I'll have extra stuff with it. Example I have a Glock for sale for $450. I'm well aware you can get a used Glock of the same model for $415 (plus shipping) elsewhere, but I have 100 rounds and 2 extra mags, original case, cleaning kit, and paperwork. People write me, thinking they are doing me a favor by telling me that they can get it cheaper, and I have to ask "So what all comes with this used police trade-in (that has THOUSANDS of rounds through it, when mine has a couple of hundred) you're talking about?". They tell me it's the pistol, and 2 mags. Yet they don't see why mine is worth more (even if I'm the only one that thinks so), because they're just looking at the pistol itself, not the other things in the package.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I have a Beretta PX4 in the classifieds. If you have a moment, please evaluate my price... LOCKSTOCKSANDBARREL

here is Buds Gun Shop Brand New PX4 Storm brand c/w 3 17 round mags. inc shipping, my local ffl transfer fee is $15 above their price.

Here is the price quote you requested on our item,
    Beretta PX4 Storm Type F 9mm 17 round,
    listed on BudsGunShop.com for MSRP:

We will sell it to you for $465.00. (The price does include shipping.)

It does not come with a holster but if you were me which one would you buy? You used for $475 with holster?

Or brand new total $480 at my door, same back straps, same mags without holster?

I would choose the new.

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I will just say that it is a free market, but the real value of anything is determined by what people are willing to pay. It ticks me off when you see someone bumping there overpriced piece for weeks on end and making idiotic comments as they do so. to date I pm'd one person on here about their piece that was doing this.

He had it listed on here and still does. He also had it listed on gunbroker several times. The bidders on gunbroker said it was worth an 500-600 less than he was asking at that point. now his asking price is below what they had maxed out at and he still cannot sell it. He thought I was busting his chops because I pm'd him saying it was overpriced. The fact is since it is still for sale and a vastly reduced price says I was right.

I sell other things and the fact is if you cannot sell it in a few days you are either pandering to a very select market IE if I put my mateba up for sale, or you are too high.

Also Bondhead88 you are comparing apples and oranges. Which would you rather buy a used gun from a reputable source or a supposedly unused gun from an unknown one? I am not knocking you, but you are not a dealer as far as I know. You have no storefront. If something is wrong with your piece I have ZERO recourse. Buds has a good reputation for what they sell. They are also a brick and motor store so if I pay with my cc I can cover my butt if something is bad. with you I have your word. So in this case it boils down to how knowledgeable I am about the px4 and comfortable about taking a risk. As far as being a brand new one, once it goes out of the store it isn't new. The same goes for buying a car off a dealer lot, I don't care if you tow it to a garage and never drive it, it is used.

Last edited:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have a Beretta PX4 in the classifieds. If you have a moment, please evaluate my price... LOCKSTOCKSANDBARREL

here is Buds Gun Shop Brand New PX4 Storm brand c/w 3 17 round mags. inc shipping, my local ffl transfer fee is $15 above their price.

Here is the price quote you requested on our item,
    Beretta PX4 Storm Type F 9mm 17 round,
    listed on BudsGunShop.com for MSRP:

We will sell it to you for $465.00. (The price does include shipping.)

It does not come with a holster but if you were me which one would you buy? You used for $475 with holster?

Or brand new total $480 at my door, same back straps, same mags without holster?

I would choose the new.

I got the same thing from Buds with one mag, not 3 and no holster. This thread got me thinking. So what's fair if this isn't?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Also Bondhead88 you are comparing apples and oranges. Which would you rather buy a used gun from a reputable source or a supposedly unused gun from an unknown one? I am not knocking you, but you are not a dealer as far as I know. You have no storefront. If something is wrong with your piece I have ZERO recourse. Buds has a good reputation for what they sell. They are also a brick and motor store so if I pay with my cc I can cover my butt if something is bad. with you I have your word. So in this case it boils down to how knowledgeable I am about the px4 and comfortable about taking a risk. As far as being a brand new one, once it goes out of the store it isn't new. The same goes for buying a car off a dealer lot, I don't care if you tow it to a garage and never drive it, it is used.

Different strokes, I suppose -- I wouldn't buy a gun made by a company that wouldn't support it. Buying it from someplace local like Bradis where I can walk in and get help is a plus, but if I have to ship it somewhere, I'd just as soon ship it to the manufacturer as to Bud's (etc). I have no qualms about buying a used gun from a reputable company. I would generally place some value on being able to have it NOW rather than order it and wait, but I'm impatient like that. If it's a gun I want, I don't care if I have to pay a premium to have it immediately. I'd pay extra to buy at one of the local shops, especially if they're present here on INGO. How much? Depends on the price of the gun. When I was in the market for an AR, I went to Bradis. Could I have saved a few bucks at Bud's? I have no idea and don't care in the least -- I wanted to support Bradis, I wanted their knowledge and help, and I wanted to create that relationship with a local(ish) shop that supports us here on INGO.

I also don't agree on the cars to guns analogy, or with what you SEEM to be saying that a gun drops anything more than a token amount of value simply for having been taken out of the shop... but see, here's the cool thing: In a free market, what YOU think doesn't matter in my buying/selling, and what I think doesn't matter in yours. Yes, once in a while I raise an eyebrow at someone's asking price... but I just swipe my fingers to go back a page and move on.

ETA: Another element, for me, is meeting a few like-minded people. I place some value on that. I enjoy meeting a few people with similar interests and tastes. Maybe some become resources, like an INGOer I've been hitting up for his expertise in a particular field recently. Maybe some become shooting/training partners. Maybe some even become "friends". For me, there's some value in that over Bud's or Gunbroker, too. If all other things were close to equal, I'd buy the one from the INGOer, assuming our conversations around it have led me to believe I'd enjoy meeting him/her.

Last edited:

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    As Smokey the Bear says, " Only you can prevent gouging."

J&G has brand new Saiga's for $299. $17 shipping + a cheap transfer dealer and that will beat any local price you can find.

Just hit the back button.

Any item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

It's America, we are free to gouge each other.

Boo f'in hoo

Over priced INGO blue book FTW!

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    As Smokey the Bear says, " Only you can prevent gouging."

J&G has brand new Saiga's for $299. $17 shipping + a cheap transfer dealer and that will beat any local price you can find.

Just hit the back button.

Any item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

It's America, we are free to gouge each other.

Boo f'in hoo

Over priced INGO blue book FTW!

Good example. Assuming Bradis was around j&g's normal price of $349, I'd buy from Bradis. Every.time. No hesitation.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto

No, I am comparing apples to apples. I think you need to think before you speak. Being a dealer has ZERO to do with buying and selling a gun and I would put my years of experience as an International Buyer on the line on that. I am not selling a gun Lockstocksandbarrel is. He and I are talking about a deal on his used gun. I am interested in it but I will not pay the same price as a new one to a used one.

If I have to pay the same price I will go to Bud's to buy it (no offence LS&B I hope we can do business)

I have experience buying from Buds and I would buy something brand new if the price was equal to or sightly more than a used one with 1400 rounds put through it. You can try the once out of the door scenario all you like but the fact if I am the first owner of the gun not the second or possible third. I am also able to insure things for higher value if I am the first buyer.

LS&B I pm'd you earlier I am interested. PM me back and let's talk price.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I use GunBroker as a valuable tool in gauging prices. That is what I price my used ones for. You don't have to pay shipping or FFL transfer fees when you buy privately. If people don't like my prices, well move along. I had some "intelligent" person on here offer me $600 and said he was doing me a favor. How are you doing me a favor? I don't need to sell nor am I far from broke, so I really don't need your handout. He also claimed he got a brand new Kimber Ultra Raptor w/ Crimson trace grips for $819 out the door from a LGS. I responded to as where this LGS was so I could go get the same deal! Needless to say he never responded.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I think people buy a firearm and expect it to go up in price.

Talked to a buddy this week about his pistol and he told me 9 months after he bought it the price dropped $75. You never know what will happen to prices. I buy because I enjoy and to put up so I can hand them down to my boys in 20 years.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Don't get me wrong here, I'm all for free enterprise but this is just reality. I mean who buys a used car for the same price as a new one? I guess you have to figure a little haggle room into the asking price unless you state the price is firm. Alot of people consider Don Davis to be a crook with his prices. I just think that if you want to move an item it needs to be priced accurately. I see folks listing their used guns for silly prices and bumping the thread daily almost in disbelief that nobody is interested. I guess if you want to hold out for more money and try to find the 1% of people who will pay it then more power to ya. Gunbroker is a prime example of this. So many guns way overpriced when you consider the shipping/transfer fees. :twocents:

Why are you still whining? Why don't you go find something to do that's productive? Sheeesh!

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    This "gun price" complaint comes up often enough that I honestly think it's something people want. We've been asked on more than one occasion to "do something!" about people who price something too high in the classifieds. I find that amazing, considering the average gun-owner's claim of being liberty-minded. I don't know about you, but I'm going to ask whatever I think someone will pay. I want to have a little room to haggle, too. I'm not starting at my bottom price; that would be ridiculous.

My only issue with this is we're not allowed to tell them what bonehead they are in their classified thread...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My only issue with this is we're not allowed to tell them what bonehead they are in their classified thread...

There have been more than once where I've PMmed a member about something that I thought was priced too high.

It helps when I tell them "I'm not interested in this but..."

I'm always cautious to make sure that I'm polite, and that I'm just expressing my opinion. I also wish them well and hope that they can get what they want out of it.

I've NEVER been railed on in return. Sometimes I get a return PM, sometimes not. The responses I do get are usually polite. Sometimes the ads are edited, sometimes not.

If so...great. It not...no big deal to me.

I've also been contacted about my price being too high (was selling some .45ACP brass). I declined to lower and cited my research.

He responded with his own research. And after my brass sat for a week, I lowered my price to be in line with what else I was shown. I sold him my brass.

-J-

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I Agree With You

Why do so many people ask ridiculous prices for their used firearms? I see a majority of owners trying to get retail or above retail for their weapons, especially Glock owners. For me to even consider a used gun it would have to be at least $50 less than new. Are folks really paying new prices for used guns? What am I missing here? :dunno:

I think the only reason to buy used, is to purchase a gun which is not
    available new anymore.
    I agree, seems used guns are almost the same as new. This also applies to
    brands which should never command a premium price.
    Just my opinion.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I'm all for freedom of speech and therefore I decided to excersize mine by defending myself. Freedom of speech works both ways:yesway:

True.. So does free enterprise. That is why you can ask what you want but that does not make someone have to buy it.

Just as you told him - "If you don't have anything intelligent to add to this discussion why don't you just move along" - If you think the gun is way over priced, just move along.

I'm not trying to bust your ba**s. I'm just messin' with ya a little.:)

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My favorite CL ad: "Free firewood" (you must cut it down).

Many, many people are wanting something for nothing. Some have no shame - and the internet makes it easier for those that wouldn't otherwise throw out gutless offers.

Either low balling or high selling, I would feel like a real jerk taking advantage of someone. And I'm told I'm part of the 'Me generation', but I see it at all age levels.

Top Bottom