• ...and so much more!
  • Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Prepper Meeting at Indiana Self Defense

I went to the ISD meeting last night and it was great. Walt big thanks for hosting and getting us all together. I am going to do all I can to help spread the word about your growing business. Wife and I will be in this weekend.

I learned some new things and got some good ideas from it. I shared some things as well with others and hopefully they gained some knowledge. I unfortunately showed up late and missed 30 min.

Some of you had great comments and things to share; I unfortunately didn’t get to write them all down. Asking that you post some things or references you shared if you want.

I had the aquaponics greenhouse in my back yard. Happy to answer any questions, have a tour, or even separate thread to answer any questions or discuss.

I also spoke of raising chickens within city limits. I have 18 chickens (16 hens and 2 roos) on .22 acres in suburbia, Marion County. Can share about this as well.

I spoke of 299 days book by Glen Tate, and The Survival Podcast and associated forum by Jack Spirko. FYI picking up Patriot at the recommendations of one of the people last night.

I would like to know more about food discount stores and the canning/LDS place. If anyone knows or are associated with them are they open to a group buy/volunteer/workforce?

I liked the idea about bulk buying and would like to see more discussion/organization of this.

I would like to know more about surplus military vehicles and the guy who has restored/has his own. Where to buy, where to get parts, advice/tips.

I am interested if anyone would like to have more meetings, or organize more meetings.

Would a topic/list of suggested topics for next meeting help? Maybe Food storage, or water storage and getting clean water. We had a lot of great nfo but think we just hit the surface on many topics.

Thanks Rick

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'd like to thank alll of you for the update about the meeting.

I had planned on being there, had to work late instead. I expect to be there next month and I will try to be there next Tuesday.

I sounds like I missed a great first meeting.

Thanks again for the update.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Nice turnout for the first time I think :twocents:

Was able to put a few faces with some screen names, I like that !

And we had some nice snacks from Survivalcookie :rockwoot: and ideas from most. Thanks

Look forward to the next meet

And ISD has some nice stuff coming in for such matters

Thanks ISD

And the coffee wasnt bad either

Thanks Rude was nice meeting you too!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I went to the ISD meeting last night and it was great. Walt big thanks for hosting and getting us all together. I am going to do all I can to help spread the word about your growing business. Wife and I will be in this weekend.

I learned some new things and got some good ideas from it. I shared some things as well with others and hopefully they gained some knowledge. I unfortunately showed up late and missed 30 min.

Some of you had great comments and things to share; I unfortunately didn’t get to write them all down. Asking that you post some things or references you shared if you want.

I had the aquaponics greenhouse in my back yard. Happy to answer any questions, have a tour, or even separate thread to answer any questions or discuss.

I also spoke of raising chickens within city limits. I have 18 chickens (16 hens and 2 roos) on .22 acres in suburbia, Marion County. Can share about this as well.

I spoke of 299 days book by Glen Tate, and The Survival Podcast and associated forum by Jack Spirko. FYI picking up Patriot at the recommendations of one of the people last night.

I would like to know more about food discount stores and the canning/LDS place. If anyone knows or are associated with them are they open to a group buy/volunteer/workforce?

I liked the idea about bulk buying and would like to see more discussion/organization of this.

I would like to know more about surplus military vehicles and the guy who has restored/has his own. Where to buy, where to get parts, advice/tips.

I am interested if anyone would like to have more meetings, or organize more meetings.

Would a topic/list of suggested topics for next meeting help? Maybe Food storage, or water storage and getting clean water. We had a lot of great nfo but think we just hit the surface on many topics.

Thanks Rick

Was great meeting you last night Rick...I really want to learn more about raising chickens in suburbia...and aquaponics, And I really would like people to brain storm and lets make one concrete plans on bulk food buying.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Survivalcookie, it was nice meeting you too. First time I have ever tried powderd milk. Doubt the kids would notice if I hadn't told them. Thanks for bringing the food. Wife is interested in learnign more about what you have.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Hope this will fill in any blank spots for people
    Some of the notes it took down
    LD's cannery
    www.ressteantdepo.com
    Sams club for the 25lbs of rice
    Bishops warehouse
    299 days-book

And the water info I only had part of
    Polly Tote Tanks
    275--330 gal,all grades including food grade
    $110.00 for the food grade
    Qauntity discounts
    Hundreds avaialble
    812-948-8801,New Albany IN
    Wholesale Closeout Salvage Company Louisville KY Area 812-948-8801 We Buy Surplus We Sell Surplus Gotta Go Surplus Distributors Suppliers Merchandise Discount Wholesalers of Salvage Merchandise Southern Indiana Kentucky Flea Market Supplier surplus g

Looks like they have alot of stuff that could be usefull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Survivalcookie, it was nice meeting you too. First time I have ever tried powderd milk. Doubt the kids would notice if I hadn't told them. Thanks for bringing the food. Wife is interested in learnign more about what you have.

Instant milk not powdered that is what moms use to try and trick kids into drinking back in the 60's...I put my instant milk in an Oberweis glass bottle, my grand kids think they are still getting the milk from the milk man. If you all want to get on my email list just let me know...you have my number she can call me to.

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I had a great time and really enjoyed the two groups interacting. I keep the our group updated at the meetup site at http://www.meetup.com/Indiana-Disaster-Preparedness/ Your welcome to join. We are going to be adding other training's as they come up. For those that don't know me. I was the guy setting in the corner by the window. (Al Wood)

The store is great and can't wait till next week.

I've been down to New Albany. That's where I picked up my poly tanks. They also have allot of other surplus as well so It would be worth taking a trailer. They have pelican cases that are about 80 percent off retail for the same product if your looking for waterproof/crashproof containers of all sizes.

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Are we still meeting on the 11th and the 18th. We have several people on our side signed up just want to make sure. I think I had beginners Prepping on the 11th and Go bags on the 18th. Is that right.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Thats correct. Beginning prepping is the 11th (next tuesday) and "Go Bags" are on the 18th. All are welcome. The next monthly meeting in on October 4th. I was realy happy with how many came to the last meeting which only makes me more excited for the next. I will be adding more topic specific classes for October during the last few days.
    Thanks for the help and support,
    Walt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    MORE NEW PRODUCTS ON THE WAY. In addition to Heirloom seeds and Berkey joining our shelves as a regular stocked item I have mada a deal with a supplier for Mylar bags with O2 absorber in a set. We will be starting out with 1 gal bag with 300cc O2 absorber and 5 gal bag with 1000cc O2 absorber. I am hoping to receive by the end of the week, early next week at the latest. Hairloom Seeds are ordered and just waiting on shipping confirmation. I have a large selection of specialty kits coming.
    Thanks,
    Walt

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    MORE NEW PRODUCTS ON THE WAY. In addition to Heirloom seeds and Berkey joining our shelves as a regular stocked item I have mada a deal with a supplier for Mylar bags with O2 absorber in a set. We will be starting out with 1 gal bag with 300cc O2 absorber and 5 gal bag with 1000cc O2 absorber. I am hoping to receive by the end of the week, early next week at the latest. Hairloom Seeds are ordered and just waiting on shipping confirmation. I have a large selection of specialty kits coming.
    Thanks,
    Walt

Awesome news! I'll be in when they come in. I've got quite a few items that need sealing up and stored.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Thats correct. Beginning prepping is the 11th (next tuesday) and "Go Bags" are on the 18th. All are welcome. The next monthly meeting in on October 4th. I was realy happy with how many came to the last meeting which only makes me more excited for the next. I will be adding more topic specific classes for October during the last few days.
    Thanks for the help and support,
    Walt

Guessen 6pm ?

equip2survive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Indiana
    Just joined IGO and I had no idea there was any kind of prepper store in the area! Very cool! Would love to come by and check you out sometime! I wish you the best with your business! :)

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Next meeting is Tue,18,6pm

Time to go bags is the topic, so IF you would like to show and tell bring your bag
    I'm guessen I'll be lacking a little and look forward to adding or loosing things from the pack ??

Nice to see some familiar faces tonight and getting some faces to go with the names
    And the coffee was still ? but I drank it anyway :laugh: ;)

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Hope this will fill in any blank spots for people
    Some of the notes it took down
    LD's cannery
    www.ressteantdepo.com
    Sams club for the 25lbs of rice
    Bishops warehouse
    299 days-book

And the water info I only had part of
    Polly Tote Tanks
    275--330 gal,all grades including food grade
    $110.00 for the food grade
    Qauntity discounts
    Hundreds avaialble
    812-948-8801,New Albany IN
    Wholesale Closeout Salvage Company Louisville KY Area 812-948-8801 We Buy Surplus We Sell Surplus Gotta Go Surplus Distributors Suppliers Merchandise Discount Wholesalers of Salvage Merchandise Southern Indiana Kentucky Flea Market Supplier surplus g

Looks like they have alot of stuff that could be usefull
    Thank you, for the info, wanted to come, but had to work... Try to make next month mtg...

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Just a few suggestions on October 4th meeting based on what I heard from the last meeting. If we get a topic, bringing in examples (thinking drive way sensors, freeze dried/dehydrated foods) or pictures is awesome. I am a visual/physical learner.
    · Growing your own food. Fruit/Vegetables
    · Urban/Suburban Chickens
    · Communication. HAM radios, emergency radios, walkie talkie, Cells, Text.
    · Bulk buying
    · Water purification and storage
    · Using your preps (maybe even a recipe list) Eat what you store, store what you eat. Beyond Rice and Beans
    · Alternative power sources/storing power
    · Alternative medical treatments/storing medications and medical supplies.

Votes? Other ideas?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Just a few suggestions on October 4th meeting based on what I heard from the last meeting. If we get a topic, bringing in examples (thinking drive way sensors, freeze dried/dehydrated foods) or pictures is awesome. I am a visual/physical learner.
    · Growing your own food. Fruit/Vegetables
    · Urban/Suburban Chickens
    · Communication. HAM radios, emergency radios, walkie talkie, Cells, Text.
    · Bulk buying
    · Water purification and storage
    · Using your preps (maybe even a recipe list) Eat what you store, store what you eat. Beyond Rice and Beans
    · Alternative power sources/storing power
    · Alternative medical treatments/storing medications and medical supplies.

Votes? Other ideas?
    I like the eat what you store and store what you eat I have alot of recipes.
    I would like to add how do you start long term food storage when you don't have extra money. Otherwise great list.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom