• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Hey Walt, I show over 30 people coming from our group to Saturday's meeting, I'm sure some won't show but this is the biggest response so far so I'm guessing there will be a good showing. Looks like several couples as well. The group has grown to over 175 people so we'll keep the updates going. People seem to like the format's so that's a good thing. I have a CPR class that day but plan on being there as well. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Well I am giving the class on Saturday so hope to not disappoint. IndySafe317 come on out before/after the actual class. I would be glad to meet you in person. We have spoken several times in the various forums. We usually have a bunch of people hanging around after and just chatting.

Just a reminder for everyone.
    Intro to Prepping aka Prepping 001
    New to prepping? Think prepping is one of “those” tin foil hat people? Come see the light. 20+ topics covered, along with tips, techniques, handouts, notes, web resources and great discussion and dialog. Meet some other like-minded people and network. Spouse or significant other not on board? Maybe this will help. It is free and sell it as cheap entertainment for an afternoon.

Free class at

Indiana Self Defense.

Class starts at 4PM roughly 1-2 hr depending on how lively our discussion is.

8017 E Washington St
    Indianapolis IN 46219

Bring a chair, there are a few at the store.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    One more important thing. In the year we've been in business we have had only a few customers on Mondays and have been wanting to expand our hours on busier days. Try to save some $, get some stuff done at home and be available to more people. So here is our plan (New Hours) starting November 26th:
    Monday - CLOSED
    Tuesday thru Thursday - 12 - 6pm
    Friday 11 - 7pm
    Saturday 11 - 8pm

I will post reminders of this change as it gets closer.
    Thanks,
    Walt

normal hours as of today I believe noon-6pm M-F S 1-6? not sure. and not exactly sure Sun.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Had a great time giving the class on Saturday. Met some new faces and got new ideas for next classes. I will be offering a more detailed ½ day class in the future, stay tuned for dates times. It will be on a Saturday again. There may be a small fee to cover some supplies but not for sure yet. It may be limited as there were packed house on Saturday as well. I want to make sure everyone can see and hear and be able to ask questions. Here are some upcoming classes that I will be giving so stay tuned for details.

· Prepping 101 (1/2 day) more details on topics covered from 001 class
    · Food storage practices and techniques (freezing, canning, pressure canning, dehydrating, biltong, jerky, smoking etc.) ~ 2 hrs
    · Intro to gardening (seed starting, indoor gardening, container gardening, general gardening in beds) ~ 2 hrs
    · Gardening 101 (cold boxes, companion planting, greenhouses, edible landscaping, aquaponics, hydroponics, harvesting seeds, moderate – advanced gardening techniques) ½ day
    · Back Yard Grocery Store – (gardening, chickens, bees, fish, rabbits, goats, fruit trees) ~ 2 hrs
    · Micro/Macro farms – growing your own food in suburban urban lots ½ day (should take some of other classes first i.e. Intro to gardening, back yard grocery store, food storage practices)
    · Intro home security – REAL basic firearms, alternatives to firearms, alarms, cameras, etc. Situational awareness,
    · Aquaponics – growing fish and plants together ~2 hrs

If you would like a class at your church/workplace or social group please let me know. Indianapolis and surrounding areas only. May be willing to drive further for gas fee.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Had a great time giving the class on Saturday. Met some new faces and got new ideas for next classes. I will be offering a more detailed ½ day class in the future, stay tuned for dates times. It will be on a Saturday again. There may be a small fee to cover some supplies but not for sure yet. It may be limited as there were packed house on Saturday as well. I want to make sure everyone can see and hear and be able to ask questions. Here are some upcoming classes that I will be giving so stay tuned for details.

· Prepping 101 (1/2 day) more details on topics covered from 001 class
    · Food storage practices and techniques (freezing, canning, pressure canning, dehydrating, biltong, jerky, smoking etc.) ~ 2 hrs
    · Intro to gardening (seed starting, indoor gardening, container gardening, general gardening in beds) ~ 2 hrs
    · Gardening 101 (cold boxes, companion planting, greenhouses, edible landscaping, aquaponics, hydroponics, harvesting seeds, moderate – advanced gardening techniques) ½ day
    · Back Yard Grocery Store – (gardening, chickens, bees, fish, rabbits, goats, fruit trees) ~ 2 hrs
    · Micro/Macro farms – growing your own food in suburban urban lots ½ day (should take some of other classes first i.e. Intro to gardening, back yard grocery store, food storage practices)
    · Intro home security – REAL basic firearms, alternatives to firearms, alarms, cameras, etc. Situational awareness,
    · Aquaponics – growing fish and plants together ~2 hrs

If you would like a class at your church/workplace or social group please let me know. Indianapolis and surrounding areas only. May be willing to drive further for gas fee.

We will have to talk...would like you maybe to come to Plainfield for our group sometime.

When Mom gets better I do want to bring my bucket out to one of your meetings...sounds like I have missed a lot.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    After the Prepping 001 class many asked for more details, examples, and depth for a class. I have put one together and it is tentatively scheduled for January 12th at noon at Indiana Self Defense. The class will be roughly ½ day. Based on initial slides/handouts will take around 5-6hrs. There are ample breaks in the class. Because of the length and materials cost there will be a $10 fee per person or $15/couple. This is the prepping 001 class with more info, more details, handouts, etc. Stay tuned, there may be freebies as well given out at the class. Below is the tentative agenda as of now. Based on the prepping 001 class we may need to limit the number of people in attendance to make sure everyone can hear and see. Again stay tuned for more info.

10 Intro

15 Preppin ain't a bad thing

20 Debt

20 Security

10 Break

30 Food storage

30 Water

10 Break

20 Bags

30 Fire/Cooking/Heat

30 Organization/Knowledge/Evacuation/Documentation

10 Break

20 Light/Power

30 Medical/First Aid

20 Gardening/Food production

20 Wrap-up

Here are some additional classes that we are developing and working on. More are in development.

Prepping 001, Intro to prepping –FREE Intro class and gives the participants a high level introduction to a variety of prepping terms, techniques, and areas of interest.
    Prepping 101 Moderate prepping techniques and tools – This is a ½ day class approximately 6 hrs. This class goes into more details of subjects covered in prepping 001 class. Topics include; Misconceptions about prepping, Debt, Security, Food Storage, Water, Bags, Fire, Cooking, Heat, Organization, Evacuation, Documentation, Lighting, Power, Medical/First Aid, and Gardening/Food Production.
    Prepping with Kids We discuss how to prepp with kids what and how to communicate with them. Child safety and security.
    Prepping for pets-To be announced, still in development.
    Getting more with less – Class on reducing debt, reducing utility bills, finding more money to get you out/ of the system. Couponing, clearance, barter, bulk buying, alternative uses, evaluating lifestyle to get the most out of your hard earned money. ~ 2hrs
    Basic auto prepping/care/maintenance -To be announced, still in development.
    Intro to firearm 001- Learn basic firearms safety and how it applies to real life situations. Uncover the hidden truths about firearms and self-defense that the media won't tell you. Help you to decide if firearms are an appropriate choice for you and your family or not. Get the information you need to make an appropriate and INFORMED decision for yourself. (excellent discussion based class for those with a fear of firearms, against firearms use/ownership, or are otherwise "on the fence" about owning one)
    Firearms for Defense- Learn about the various types of firearms and how to select the most appropriate for your needs and preparation plans. Get the opportunity to handle and function various firearms to learn and practice their operation and safety. (NO live ammunition or range time)
    Firearms 101- To be announced, still in development.

Food Preservation Learn not only the various techniques for food preservation but how to apply them. Recommended supplies, where to find them, and how to get them below retail pricing. Variety of charts and tools for home food preservation and recipes. ~ 2hrs
    Water, Water everywhere – Learn where to obtain water, filtering and purification techniques. See demos on various products. Learn when to store water vs. when to pack purifiers. Learn what is in your water than can harm you and your family. Homemade water filters. ~ 2hrs
    Bags – We discussBug Out Bags (BOB) andshow examples of what could be in one. We also go over Every Day Carry (EDC) bags, Get Home Bags (GHB) and show what could be contained in each. We also cover kids go bags, and pet bags. ~ 2hrs
    Fire, Fire, Fire – We discuss and demonstrate various fire starting techniques, tools and products. We show you how to make your own fire starting and cooking tools and supplies. Participants practice various fire-starting techniques. Cooking, heating, and fire starting. ~ 2 hrs)
    Papers we need no stinking papers- This class will cover various forms and types of documentation you should have as preps. How to store, where to store, how to protect, and how to share. We will also cover evacuation routes, maps, and organization techniques and skills. ~ 2 hrs
    I’ve got the Power – This class will cover power and lighting. From generators to candles. Learn various techniques, tools, and products that can supply you and your family power and lighting. Did you know you already have a 1500W generator you can use in a power outage? Attend to find out how to harness this energy. ~ 2 hrs
    Somebody get the doctor – This class will cover more in-depth on first aid kits, what to have in them, how to use the contents. Alternative medical compounds including medicinal herbs, and essential oils. Car kits, EDC kits, wound care, bodily fluid precautions, and typical wounds in every day scenarios. Possibly First aid and CPR certifications
    Backyard Grocery store – In this class we will cover a variety of topics to get you to start producing some if not the majority of your grocery needs. We will cover container gardening, indoor gardening, vegetable gardens, fruit/nut trees, berries, edible landscapes, back yard chickens, rabbits, quails, fish and bees. This class is designed for urban/suburban areas, but rural are encouraged to attend if not already practicing.
    Medicinal Herbs/Essential Oils 001 Overview FREE In this class we will cover medicinal/culinary herbs and essential oils. A little background of each, general uses and applications. We will cover the more common herbs you can grow, their use, and some treatments. We will also go over the most common essential oils and their use, and some common treatments.

Medicinal Herbs –To be announced, still in development.

Essential Oils- To be announced, still in development.
    Protecting Yourself and Your Family – In this class we cover a wide range of topics from personal security, identity security, credit security, to home security. Not all threats look like guy in a ski mask. Sometimes you are your own worst enemy.
    HAM RadioTo be announced, still in development.
    Communications Various forms of communication for use in a variety of situations. HAM, CB, handheld walkies, Morris code, signals and signaling, MURS radios, non-verbal communication.

Last edited:

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    ISD events Dec-Jan

Indiana Self Defense

8017 E Washington St

Indianapolis IN 46219

317-534-0571

Upcoming Events at Indiana Self Defense (ISD)

(Bring a chair to the class/discussion and an open mind)

·Dec 6th—Prepping with Kids general discussion and regular meeting 6PM Location: ISD (Bring a chair)
    ·Dec 8th—Essential Oils and Medicinal Herbs class. 4PM Location ISD ~ 2hrs (Bring a chair) FREE
    ·Dec8th-9th ISD is at Gun show at the Muncie Fairgrounds (store is still open)
    ·Dec 29th– Prepping 001 intro to prepping at ISD 2PM (Bring a Chair) FREE
    ·Jan 3rd– Regular Thursday General Discussion planning for 2013 topics 6PM Location: ISD (Bring a chair) FREE
    ·Jan 12th– Prepping 101 noon-6pm $10/person $15/couple Location : ISD (Bring a chair) limited space first 50 to register
    ·Jan 26th– Backyard Food Production noon-4pm $10/person $15/couple Location : ISD (Bring a chair) limited space first 50 to register

For limited space classes, a signup sheet will be in the store after today and to guarantee your spot(s) prepay your spot(s). You will get a coupon for paying and use that for drawing during class for free item(s). Cash only, sorry.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    We are going to be taking care of some family business this Sunday but fear not, We will be open. I would like to thank TheRude1 who will be running the shop from 12 - 6. Yes that's right, Rudes going to be running this show:n00b: so come on out and and meet Rude:D thats worth the trip on its own.
    Thanks,
    Walt

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom