• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    You're right. I think they should stay classy and change it to "Fleischwunde"

That isn't the flag under discussion, by the way, this is:

120210-marines-scouts-hmed-9a.grid-6x2.jpg

Just to clarify what is being talked about.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    You're right. I think they should stay classy and change it to "Fleischwunde"

The Germans also Gave the Marine the nickname Teufel Hunden. Which means Devil Dogs, Since that came from the Nazi's we were fighting maybe we need to quit using that term too.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    The Germans also Gave the Marine the nickname Teufel Hunden. Which means Devil Dogs, Since that came from the Nazi's we were fighting maybe we need to quit using that term too.

+1 :yesway:

Well I have to go to a meeting. Ill be back later to jump back in on this discussion.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

That (supposedly) came out of the Battle of Belleau Wood in 1918, not Nazis at that point.

220px-Teufel_Hunden_US_Marines_recruiting_poster.jpg

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Ask a man to go out and kill for his country and then act all high and mighty when he chooses a standard used by murderers.

I'm not calling war murder. I am not calling Marines murderers. I am saying that its damn hypocritical to ask men to become killers and then get all offended when they emphasize that they are killers.

It's like the urinating on the corpse thing... It's ok to bomb a guy's mud hut and shoot him when he comes running out of it, but oh no, don't pee on him after he's dead.

Are these guys warriors or diplomats?

Neither, they are Marines. Yes they are required to kill the enemy, but they are equally required to show restraint when necessary.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    JD4320t, I looked at your profile, Being an American and a Marine I find it very offensive that you would have a communist rifle laying an a American flag! Kind of Ironic in my mind.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    If the insignia is not German inspired, why are they calling themselves Kopfjager?

This was the question that popped into my head. Though to be fair the flag itself didn't make the reference, the t-shirt design the OP posted trying to show the SS being used for "scout sniper" did.... which imo was probably not the best example to support his argument.

My little explanation: I am very active in the VFW, and we still have a lot of WW2 veterans. I have never heard a disparaging remark about the Germans. There was a lot of respect for the German Army as a fighting force. Well equipped, well trained, and highly disciplined. I have served in Germany, and enjoyed conversations with German WW2 veterans, and there was the same attitude towards the United States Army. I think respecting your enemies skills and prowess makes you a better Soldier, or Marine in this case. This is something service members see. I even had a buddy that wore his grandfathers Iron Cross on a necklace. The U.S. learned a lot in that war, which made us what we are today, in regards to the U.S. AirLand Battle Doctorine.

Now on the other hand, if you say something good about the Japanese, your likely to get beer cans thrown at you. Most of these guys hate the Japs.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I meant my real world. Just like I hear all the time how we (regular people) don't know what they (soldiers) go through. I've never implied I know what they go through while fighting for our country. I don't care if I blow up the fact that using the Nazi SS logo is poor taste.

Do you represent yourself with a Nazi looking logo?

I represent myself with an Eagle, Globe & Anchor logo.

Your first and second post pointed out that you thought it was in poor taste. That's fine, your entitled to your opinion and I want you to express it! So much so that I, like my brothers in the picture, would give my life to help preserve that right for you if so called upon to do so. Around your 3rd and 4th post though you began sensationalizing your opinion. If you think it's in poor taste, say so. Turning a small issue into a much bigger issue for everyone based on just your opinion is what I meant when I said "blow it up". I see things I don't like everyday, I see flags I don't care for everyday, but I suck it up and deal with it. I don't grandstand and try to explain to everyone else why they should not like them also...

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    That (supposedly) came out of the Battle of Belleau Wood in 1918, not Nazis at that point.

220px-Teufel_Hunden_US_Marines_recruiting_poster.jpg

You are correct, However I am sure that there are probably direct desendants, and maybe even a few who served in both wars on the German side. just using the same logic as I see the people making a big stink out of the flag are, I guess really me being a smart***:D

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Symbols change over time. Perhaps it's too soon for the "SS" symbol to take on a different meaning than its use in WWII, but I see no harm in it.

Correct.

It seems everyone is forgetting that the Swastika was adapted from ancient symbols for the sun, and from the Bhuddist symbol for...hold on to your hats...PEACE.

Point is, a symbol can mean anything someone with enough influence wants it to mean, case and point, the Nazis in WWII.

Last edited:

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Originally Posted by T.Lex
    IMHO, those guys should be smarter than that. I mean, c'mon. I cannot believe that elite forces like that have never heard of the German SS.

So, they knew of the reference and used it anyway. Bad judgment.

Yes, Virginia, we do not exist in a historical vacuum. Pick a different stylization of the letter SS. The Secret Service does, too.

If the young warriors did not know that the lightning bolt "SS" was used by the NAZI SS, then some other senior NCO did. I doubt they meant any association with the NAZIs, but it was unwise. Now can we get back to killing the enemy?

FYI: There is a Norman Rockwell painting of FDR that portrays FDR with some Secret Service agents. The painting was given to the White House, but contained the handwritten note at the bottom "FDR with SS Agents". Just because of the time and the association with "SS" it was never displayed publicly. Good judgement.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    A question of intent.

We sometimes forget how young those carrying the gear for us are. At the time of the photo most were born in what 1989 or 1990?

Talk to some of the senior Sgts. and WOs who had the most interaction with the young studs over there. Sometimes the frame of reference is . . . different or perhaps tilted via lack of years.

If the USMC sees no problem, then I see no problem.

^THIS!!!!
    & if you look at what they teach in american public education WWII is glossy covered real quick.

SS to older generation may mean Nazi SS but not to this group.
    Who probably did not even have a grandpa that servered during the WWII.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    How can you make such bold comments about the actions of our troops when you have no way of relating to what they go through in country. That photo was taken in Sangin in 2010. Sangin is the most kinetic place in the Helmand province at this time, and in 2010 it was even worse.

If posing with a SS flag is what kept their moral boosted so they could keep fighting the good fight, then who are you or anyone else to say they should be punished for it? Let our troops alone to do what they need to do, as long it gets them back their families.

God Bless the troops:patriot:

What God is going to bless troops posing with a SS flag that stood for those who massacred His children by the millions?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I'm sure Hindus were all up in arms when the nazis stole the swastika as well.
    Amen Brother

At my age I saw the SS from KISS. There are young men at my work who have never seen the movie Smokey and the Bandit so they have no clue why I call them that (Smokey and Bandit).

We turn these guys into stone cold killers, then expect them to be politically correct doing it and forget to thank them for doing it in the first place.

Top Bottom