• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Crying about a $250 deferral but is ok with a $400 radar detector, so you can continue to speed? Give me a break.

Isn't 49 a 2 lane rural road? Going 71 on the toll road or 65 is much different than going 71 on a 2 lane road where farm equipment and school buses are. Use your head man.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    What I think is relatively funny is that people are still displacing (or trying to) the blame of getting the ticket on something else: The cop was a jerk, I was in the wrong place/wrong time, the Carter Admin screwed around with the speed limits, etc... Trying to find blame instead of personal accountability. Regardless of speed limit, it's there. Follow it unless you want a ticket, via social contract. Don't like the speed limit, follow social contract. Begin campaign to raise speed limit via political action either by petitions or voting people who will do it. But to complain about the social contract when you violate it, that's irresponsibility in action.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    i jsut recently got a ticket in pendelton for 84 in a 70 just payed the ticket (125) and no issues with my insurance, it actually went down:dunno: if it has been a while since your last ticket then i wouldn't worry about the deferal.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    No. You can't compare this to a service industry in a free market, because we are all forced to pay into this complete monopoly and forced to pay for their services whether we want them or not.

Let's be honest here. If any of us were actually cutting a check every year for the services of the police department, how many would actually pay a single cent for what we get from them? I wouldn't pay a damn thing.

If my analogy doesn't work, then your claim to be their "boss" doesn't work either. If you think you're somebody's boss then the next time you disagree with a police officer tell him that he's thereby fired and you'll take his badge for him. The fact is, you're MORE his customer than his boss. I'm trying to be helpful in saying that if you approach the situation from a customer perspective rather than a "I'm his boss and he owes me" perspective you'll get much further.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    He's not crying about getting caught.

He's complaining about a cop acting like a jerk.

And yes, police officers are hired to SERVE the public. That is their purpose. They should treat us as their employers, not as rodents to be stomped on.

Their employer is the city/state/town/township in which they work for. not you.

on a side note where do you work? i would like to walk in and buy the cheapest thing possible and claim you work for me since i paid a very small fraction of your paycheck and cry like a little baby because you didnt smile or say.

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    But, to be honest, where was the fire? 71 in a 55 is a bit much.

We all have our opinions on this issue...70/55 is fine for me. Cars still pass me up. As long as I'm not flying past every car on the road, and keeping a fair pace with traffic, where's the problem? In my opinion, (which really doesn't matter here), you do less harm to the travelling public when you keep pace with the rest of the traffic.

I will fight the cop's demeanor to the end, not the ticket itself; its a losing battle. If it were so important to do the speed limit, the cops would do the speed limit as well. Period.

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    First off, I think the OP should pay the fine and move on. Second, officers should show respect and be curtious. If an officer is going to write a ticket then explain what the offender did and what action the officer is going to take. In this case, the OP probably wouldn't have written this, had the officer not went into detail about having to go 100 miles and hour to catch up with him and what ever else he said. Offficers must at all times do there job in a professional manner. That will go a long way!

That is ALL I'm trying to say...just treat me with respect...that's it. There was no need for his attitude...that's why the complaint is getting filed. Nothing more. (Except seeing him speed on numerous occasions, but that will never change among the police).

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    He's not crying about getting caught.

He's complaining about a cop acting like a jerk.

And yes, police officers are hired to SERVE the public. That is their purpose. They should treat us as their employers, not as rodents to be stomped on.

AGAIN, THANK YOU!!! Somehow, somewhere, cops have this notion and belief that they are better than everyone else. I have absolutely no qualms or complaints against those officers that are out there doing a good job, and respecting the public.

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    Actually, it isn't.
    The problem is, our government LIED to us...

I'm old enough to remember the Arab Oil Embargo in the early '70s.

We were told that the 55 speed limit was just a "TEMPORARY" measure to reduce fuel consumption, and that when the oil embargo ended, the speed limits would ALL be RESTORED.

Before the TEMPORARY 55mph speed limit, the speed limit on Hwy 49 was 65mph and people typically drove 70mph.
    And that was with 1950's-60's era cars.
    This was true on most all 2 lane highways in the flat open areas of NW Indiana where I grew up.

The REAL issue here is that the government got used to the increase in revenue from speeding tickets that came in from having unreasonably LOW speed limits.

This ALL goes back to the "TEMPORARY" 55mph speed limit of the Arab Oil Embargo of the early 1970's.

So in my mind MORALLY, the speed limit on all interstates has been 70mph and 65 mph on 2 lane highways since the Arab Oil Embargo ended, because that's what we were PROMISED so we'd go along with it.

AGAIN. it's ALL ABOUT REVENUE...

Yes, it is all about revenue; I fully believe that. If posted speed limits were truly about safety, cops would obey the speed limit too, but they just disregard them as usual. Must not be dangerous to travel at 80mph on the interstates if cops do it everyday....

WHAT?????!!!!! The Government lied to us????!!!!! No way! I'll never believe it....

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    off topic question, do you have an amp and subs (a system) in your car? *to the op or anyone that is butt hurt about respect*
    also again, the city/town/state/local gov't. is their employer. again, they also pay their own paycheck, so get over that whole excuse.

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    How can I be as helpful as possible, while also being honest? Okay, if this officer really was that evil and terrible to you then by all means file a complaint on his lack of professionalism. It would behoove you to be as calm and rational as you can be when you file the complaint though because lots of people who get tickets make complaints against the officer as a way of "getting even." As with anything else, the person who receives your complaint is going to tune you out if you call and start ranting and raving. If you are calm and rational then they may be more apt to listen to you. Also keep in mind that complaints are common and a singular complaint probably isn't going to go anywhere unless the person you speak to truly believes you were wronged. .

That's all I'm trying to do is right a wrong by the cop's attitude. Will it change anything? No. Will it make me feel better? Maybe. Who knows? I was very cordial and polite when I filed the complaint; but I know it won't go anywhere. Oh well.

Erick

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    That's because giving verbal warnings all the time dosnt make the county or local city goverment any money.

That's true, however, it develops respect for those officers, who otherwise probably might not get it...I'm saying cite those that truly need to be cited. By this I mean, if traffic is moving at 70 in a 55 zone, and you have a few yahoos doing 90+ zipping in and out of lanes, that's who should be targeted.

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    ^^ but this does not mean that you can just assume everyone is one of those and treat them bad. many more "normal" people are pulled over than hardcore criminals. this related to the govts view that surrendering some of your rights to be safe is acceptable (patriot act). but its really not. we dont know if he got an attitude or not. you would think i may have an attitude with an officer if pulled over, but you would be wrong. i simply do not answer any questions, or speak.

I wish I had a camcorder with me to prove the officer's actions. His level of rudeness started increasing the quieter I got. I didn't want to start anything. I have him my license and reg. Give me the ticket and send me on my way. I'm 31 years old and don't need to be lectured!!!!

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    ^^ but this does not mean that you can just assume everyone is one of those and treat them bad. many more "normal" people are pulled over than hardcore criminals. this related to the govts view that surrendering some of your rights to be safe is acceptable (patriot act). but its really not. we dont know if he got an attitude or not. you would think i may have an attitude with an officer if pulled over, but you would be wrong. i simply do not answer any questions, or speak.

Ranger375 has the right answer, hand him your papers, say nothing at all.

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    First, OP I'd like to apologize for not responding to your PM sooner. As it is, I've only a few minutes before I head into work for another 16 hours, so I will reply as much as possible here.

Like Keymaster, I too have some personal insight into the situation.

-The reason that MOST Porter County officers speed in the area you were pulled over in (Rt. 49) is because that is where their Central Command is. It was just the other day that I was nearly rear-ended by a Sgt. who was driving at a speed that I'd guess to be around 85-90mph. They will continue to speed, as 49 is a relatively flat highway and who is going to pull them over??? :noway:

-You were basically told to follow the chain of command with the complaint procedure. I am surprised that David Lain, piece of garbage that he is, even gave you the time of day. Likewise, as you know, his Chief Deputy Doug Snyder is a complete and utter fool. You were told to discuss this with the OIC---this means the Officer In Charge. This is a rather ambiguous term and I'm not sure how he meant it. OIC of the entire shift (Captain), Squad (Lt.) or Patrol OIC (typically Sgt.)? Regardless, follow this up as much as possible. I know this officer personally, and he has a terrible attitude that needs to be adjusted.

-Regarding your deferral...it is outrageous here in Porter County. That is exactly what I may or may not have paid for a ticket that I may or may not have recieved from the Valparaiso PD. :dunno: I paid it to be safe, and I haven't sped in the problem areas since.

You have a valid complaint. Yes, you were "wrong" for speeding on a highway that has a ridiculously artificially low speed limit of 55mph when the County officers do it on a routine basis.

There's no way I can fight this in court...I'll be found guilty, and it will end up costing me more than its worth, unless you have some first hand knowledge you'd like to share...

Erick

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    Correct me if I'm wrong OP---the issue was notsomuch the SPEED in which he travelled, but the MANNER in which he behaved and discussed the alleged 100MPH pursuit. :twocents:

The speed wasn't really a big deal, but approaching me the way he did, that's what ticked me off. No reason to yell. Ask for my lic/reg., tell me what I did. Say you'll be right back. Play on your laptop for a bit, check some email, then come back to my car and say you're getting a warning/ticket, bla bla bla, have a nice day. Done.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I can't believe that I just read 16 pages of a thread that consists of nothing more than the OP crying about getting a ticket and his feelings hurt. Man up! If you didn't like his attitude you should have been a MAN and said something to him and hashed it out right then and there.

Getting all butt hurt, calling his boss, and crying about it on the internet is just pathetic!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom