• Status
    Not open for further replies.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I got pulled over by IMPD doing 65 in what I thought was a 55... turns out the 1 sign for a 5 mile stretch of road was enough for it to be "marked all up and down through here" that it was actually a 45 zone. the cop was a total jerk about it, and I tried to be polite to him. 20 over was $150. I paid it and got on with my life.

I got pulled over by NYSP doing 81/65. it was my fault for not fixing the speedometer in my car, but the officer was nice and polite. I returned the courtesy, we struck up a conversation and I was written a ticket for 75/65. cost me $200. I paid it and got over it. (65/45 = $150; 75/65 = $200? :dunno:)

notice the common themes here: be polite to the officer and pay the ticket and get over it.

I admit, I think the speed limits are nothing more than a way to generate revenue for the state/city/county, but they are the LAW. they carry the weight of LAW. if you choose to break the LAW, be ready to deal with the LAW ENFORCEMENT officer... you know, the one that ENFORCES the law...

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    And I always love it when a speeder complains about the officer speeding!! WTH?

I think the OP wanted the officer to do ..oh..maybe 75, then he would have caught him in an hour or so....

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA

I think the OP wanted the officer to do ..oh..maybe 75, then he would have caught him in an hour or so....

Wow...I've seldom seen so many members totally miss the point in a single thread. No child left behind, indeed. :rolleyes:

I will always be upset when an officer, who is NOT on a call, is speeding. I understand the "with due caution" instances when it is permissible to speed. Going home, to the mall, general patrol...these are NOT permissible times to be speeding around for the hell of it.

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008

I can't believe that this thread is still active and that I am adding to it again. Officers must make good decisions on when to stop someone depending on the circumstances. Is it worth it if he has to drive that fast to stop someone? :dunno: We all have our own opinion on this matter. Maybe it's time to leave it alone.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    thank you for posting a bunch stories that involve actual victims.

the OP's story did not.

No, but it could have been; all it would have taken was one teen-age or septuagenarian driver to pull out in front of the OP. YOU were trying to make the point that the speed limit is artificial and unnecessary - you're wrong. On 2-lane roads in the summer, when the corn is "elephant's eye" high, a driver can't see what's at that next intersection. I did my share of dumb-a$$ driving up in that area when I was a teen (back before the Oil Embargo), so I know what it's like. Darn near every day you can find a story about a vehicular crash where excessive speed caused severe injury or one or more fatalities. Whether 49 is a 2-lane, a 3-lane or a 4-lane doesn't matter; there's always the dumb@$$ factor. OP was taking a risk, got caught, needs to accept that & get over it. YOU need to think a bit more carefully about the potential consequences of driving too fast for conditions, no matter what the speed limit.

Oh, by the way, I am not a cop.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    No, but it could have been; all it would have taken was one teen-age or septuagenarian driver to pull out in front of the OP.

But they didn't. Maybe he was watching the road. Maybe his speed was perfectly safe given the conditions. Maybe we don't need speed limit signs to drive safely.

The same way we say that gun control is ridiculous because criminals don't care about breaking gun laws; speed limits are ridiculous because people who drive irresponsibly and risk their lives aren't going to care about a speeding ticket.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    But they didn't. Maybe he was watching the road. Maybe his speed was perfectly safe given the conditions. Maybe we don't need speed limit signs to drive safely.

The same way we say that gun control is ridiculous because criminals don't care about breaking gun laws; speed limits are ridiculous because people who drive irresponsibly and risk their lives aren't going to care about a speeding ticket.

Maybe the officer stopped him before he killed anyone. Maybe he didn't.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Maybe the officer stopped him before he killed anyone. Maybe he didn't.

Maybe that's not a good enough reason to take away peoples' freedoms. If it is then we can put a whole lot more laws on the books. Why don't we just ban cars altogether. I mean if it saves one life then it's worth it, right?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

When you look around and see the policies of various police departments as to when a high speed pursuit is allowable, you'd see that there are departments that the high speed pursuit for a speeder going 71mph would be against department policy under these conditions.

On a narrow 2 lane highway like HWY 49, it can be reasonably argued whether the officer who did a U-turn and then flew in and out of traffic at 100+ mph for this exercised good judgement?

It would be interesting to know what the high speed pursuit policy of the department this officer is from is?

REMINDS me of a story the Lafayette Journal & Courier ran some years back when the Indiana State Police first got the unmarked high performance Mustangs.

There was actually an Indiana State Police Officer who bragged about clocking a car from the other direction going 70mph in a 55mph on I-65 near Lafayette, doing a u-turn in the median and doing over 140 MPH to catch the speeder!

THEN going into a song and dance about how "dangerous" it was for somebody to be driving 70mph on I65!

I'm old enough to remember when police wouldn't endanger others in a situation like this.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    When you look around and see the policies of various police departments as to when a high speed pursuit is allowable, you'd see that there are departments that the high speed pursuit for a speeder going 71mph would be against department policy under these conditions.

You asked, I delivered. Please read the following from the Porter County SD's Standard Operating Procedures, VEHICLES DEPARTMENT USE, Effective Date 4/1/2010, Reference Number ADM-019:

4. All Department vehicles shall be operated in compliance with applicable laws, good driving practices, and with consideration and courtesy toward other motorists and pedestrians.

12. Except in emergency situations, Department vehicles shall not be driven past lines of waiting or slow traffic nor operated in any manner that would reflect unfavorably on the Department.

Doesn't sound like an emergency situation was in progress. 100+ MPH to catch a speeder on 49? :noway: Seems to me that every time a police officer speeds in a NON-EMERGENCY setting, they are not only breaking the law but also the Department SOP.

Let me see if I can find anything else that is pertinent in the SOP Manual.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    I would venture to say the officer saying he had to drive 100 mph to catch up was a figure of speech and not a testimony to his actual speed.

If he was patrolling in an explorer, he would need some distance and clear, straight road to reach 100 mph.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I would venture to say the officer saying he had to drive 100 mph to catch up was a figure of speech and not a testimony to his actual speed.

If he was patrolling in an explorer, he would need some distance and clear, straight road to reach 100 mph.

:dunno: Either way, he shouldn't say he had to drive 100 MPH if he didn't have to actually drive that speed.

He wasn't patrolling in an SUV.

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    Preach it, Denny! +1

If you encounter me as an LEO, I will be polite and calm 98% of the time. I will ALWAYS strive to be a professional. If you put yourself in that 2% of the time, it is just that, you have done something to be treated in a non-polite mode, usually involving handcuffs and booking photos. But we do see the nasty side of life daily and there will be days I am not at my best, just like any other human.

OP - if you were treated rudely by the policeman, you may have given him some attitude you were not aware of, he may have had an off day or he may be a total jag-ov. Maybe there is footage from a dash cam. Go ahead and complain to his department, but once you do this, GET OVER IT, PRINCESS!

Seriously, men treat each other rudely from time to time. How much time have you spent vexing over this perceived slight? Most men just respond and move on. After reading your posts I have seen you paint LEOs with a broad brush and it is pretty obvious you are mad about the ticket and just looking for excuses. If your post had been, "Yeah, I was speeding and got a ticket, but the cop was unprofessional" and that was the gist through your posts, I would give you more credence. But you seem to hate all cops, know exactly how we should do the job, question our intellect and motivations as a whole and call names like a little kid. What are you, 5 years old? 'I was speeding,, but so were they, Sherrif Lain!'. "The Deputy did not talk nice to me!!" Your subsequent posts paint a pretty clear picture of where you are coming from.

Here is what I know:
    YOU WERE SPEEDING
    YOU EARNED A TICKET
    THE COP MAY OR MAY NOT have been professional in his demeanor.
    THE KOTEX IS IN AISLE # 3

Now pay the ticket, have a stiff one and go build something in the garage. It's just.....more manly.

I'm just basing my opinion on what I've encountered since I've moved from the Chicago area...again, I'lll mention DuPage County Sheriff...they are treated very well, and many have the utmost respect for them because they are on the same level as you and me. We all work together to make the community better. You want good cops...those are where they are found. In Porter County, its completely different! Its EXACTLY as some have described in this thread.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    :dunno: Either way, he shouldn't say he had to drive 100 MPH if he didn't have to actually drive that speed.

He wasn't patrolling in an SUV.

From a post by the OP. I could be wrong after 14 pages.

Also, I looked on PCSO's website, their cars are well equipped, nice Ford Explorers with Leather seats.
    Erick

Can you explain to me how an officer is to catch up to a speeding vehicle with out speeding himself? You will never catch up to an object with out traveling faster than what the object is traveling.

What do you suggest, the officer follow the violator until he stops at his destination even if that is another state or a few hours down the road?

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA

Can you explain to me how an officer is to catch up to a speeding vehicle with out speeding himself? You will never catch up to an object with out traveling faster than what the object is traveling.

What do you suggest, the officer follow the violator until he stops at his destination even if that is another state or a few hours down the road?

Yes. He's stating that the department HAS SUVs, not that he was stopped in one. To my knowledge that department has one SUV.

Again, you miss the point. :n00b::n00b::n00b: I'm starting to think it's an attempt at deliberate misdirection. :noway: The issue was not the fact that he was speeding, it was the MANNER in which he was speeding, and the reason he was speeding in the first place. Do I need to spell it out more clearly?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

OP said - "The cop had several cars in front of him, so he couldn't swing around very quickly."

I'm not saying a police officer shouldn't go after a speeder, but "circumstances alter cases".

HWY 49 is a narrow 2 lane highway, it's not the interstate.

There were SEVERAL cars between him and the OP, so he had to cut in and out of the cars at over 100mph to catch up to the OP.
    The traffic was such that the police officer ENDANGERED several people just for a speeding ticket.

IF THE TRAFFIC was lighter, and the police officer could've immediately swung around and gone after the OP without having to endanger other drivers, and going through a long high speed run, I would have NO PROBLEM with it.

In this case, the public would've been better served if the police officer would've used his radio, reported the car and hoped somebody ahead could stop him.

If the OP got away, so be it. If he has a habit of speeding, he'll eventually get another ticket.

AGAIN, I'm old enough to remember when in a case like this, a police officer would've radioed ahead rather than endanger the public with a high speed chase for something this minor.

It's not like the OP committed a felony and was in flight after the crime.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I sped down to bloomington a couple years ago... a cop saw me...he wrote me a ticket...then i paid it.

I'm old enough to remember when people took responsibility for their actions. If you don't like cops going after speeders then lobby to change the speed limits. if you go over the limit, a cop may pull you over and he'll have to go faster than you to do it. That's his job, change the scope of his job and you won't have to worry about it anymore. He wouldn't have sped if you didn't speed.

Personally i believe that there should be one week a year where police aren't the police and everyone can do whatever they want.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    The tags in this thread are priceless. I've been pulled over about 4 times in my life so far. 3 out of the 4 times I was treated fine and once I was treated like crap. The one time I was treated badly is actually a funny story, I may share that at a later time.

I can understand being irritated after being treated like scum and I think that was the op's problem. After that he was just asking advice on how to save a few bucks. As for me, if cops speed they speed. If they want to sit at 7 11 and drink coffee, so be it. Let them do what ever they got to do throughout the day to get through the day. I know all to much about having a bad day, after about an hour and a half at work for me and I become a total prick.

You never know what may have happend right before you got pulled over, it's no excuse for not treating someone with respect, but there are some instances where I can understand. I'm not condoning the officers actions if he was less then polite, but I have met the OP and don't take him as a liar. So I have reason to believe the officer probably acted in less then a satisfactory way.

But sometimes cops speed, sometimes I speed. I just have a bigger chance of getting caught doing it. Oh yeah someone along the line said the government employs the police we employ the government so therefore we employ the police. True, but the police are people to and they employ the government so therefore they employ themselves. Freaky I know, it just warps the mind.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom